Will going FPV help me?

Robert Alexander 1

Dear friends,

I've been trying to fly quads off and on for a few years but never really progressed from hovering in front of me and slightly moving around. As soon as the quad rotates my brain goes mushy and to avoid losing or breaking the drone or worst damaging anything on the ground I usually bring it down. So no experts to help me around in my area and this on and off attempts are not helping me to master flight.

I wonder if buying some FPV platform might help me progress more easily.

Before you completely dismiss the notion let me tell you that back in a distant past I rememeber not being able to fly on PC simulators, never made it, but then I got my sailplane license and progressed to being a decently capable pilot gaining my FAI gold badge with two diamonds

Thank you for your opinions and experience and may you all be safe from this epidemic.

Quad flyer in our club finds flying FPV much easier, so I would give it a go. I have also flown my quad and few fixed wing planes FPV, the biggest problem is getting lost in the sky, you don't know where you are blush, but with a spotter this isn't an issue as they can tell you which way to fly.

The other issue is my FPV googles misting up, but mine, Fatshark V2, don't have a fan.

IMO fpv comes after mastering basic controlling well it did in my case! I just kept practicing with my (non automated - DJI type) quads until I could fly around the trees in my garden without hitting them then I started with fpv. Because I had practiced, the controls were then second nature, I didn't have to think about stick inputs so the only thing I had to contend with was the whole enclosed feeling that the goggles (box in my case as I wear glasses) gave me. TBH I'm still getting used to that part of it!

So bottom line is practice those basic manoeuvres, get them nailed then move to more advanced and then to fpv.

What may help as well is flying a whoop which is a micro fpv drone. These are small quads that you can fly round the house. These are cost from £50 to £90 for a Bind and fly. They weigh less then 40 grams. The one I currently fly is the Happy Models Mobula 6. As these quads are so light they are hard to damage.

Flying FPV will help you but I think lying LOS is a skill you should have in my opinion. This’ is the advantage of fly a whoop because it is nearly impossible to break one.

Regards

JM

Edited By J Moyler on 04/05/2020 08:23:36

Edited By J Moyler on 04/05/2020 08:24:40

Edited By J Moyler on 04/05/2020 08:29:02

Oddly enough this is my lockdown project.

I aquired a Ripmax Nova trainer from a club mate, which was due to be scrapped.

I am in the process of modifying it to take a 5.8 FPV camera / 300 Mah Lipo and TX.

At my end, I will be using a set of Eachine goggles with flight record facility etc.

Should be fun (eventually).

Robert,

This technique was recommended by a pilot that can do inverted figures of eight inverted with a heli + a load of other trick stuff.

Unfortunately non of that ever rubbed off on to me due to an interest in fix wing and lack of practice!

With the quad in front of take off and fly a short distance away and back a few times, then when away fly the quad to the right and then left in a T pattern.

When you can do that then rotate the quad 90 degrees at the top of the T...you are allowed to rotate your head/body for the first few times. Now do this to the right and left until you can fly the T shape without moving your head/body.

Once you can fly the T, drop back to flying away and at the top of the T rotate 180 degrees and back again. After that fly the T and at each end of the T rotate 180 degrees and back again. Eventually you can open the T out to a figure 8 and then fly it backwards....

I don't think there is any easy or short cut to gaining the experience oh and lots and lots of practice

Chris's description matches the way i taught myself to fly a helicopter and its a good way to go.

As has been pointed out, there are no shortcuts when it comes to learning how to do this sort of thing and like it or not you are going to break something.

I dont think there is a model pilot on the face of the earth that didnt bin a few over the years.

Dear friends,

first of all let me thank you warmly for your advice. I am a medical doctor working in Italy and as you can imagine this epidemic is draining for all of us involved at any capacity. Taking a little time for myself alone, switching on the radio and the drone and having only that on my mind if only for a few minutes is a balm for my neurons, even if I am still utterly incapable to really fly this beast yet I would define my current drone piloting skill as "barely avoiding crashes"

Lots of good ideas in your posts Frank, Ron, J, Simon and Chris which of course now prompt a few questions

The idea of investing in a low cost, sturdy little indoor flyer is quite enticing. Would the Mobula (I think now they have reached the 7 version) work with my old but reliable little radio (Spektrum DX6i)?

As a side project and if I learn a bit more with the little whoop I could then fit a camera and TX to my current beast

In that case what goggles would you recommend as I'm nearsighted and therefore wear prescription lenses? What is a "box goggle"? Are the Eachine goggle mentioned above a good bet? Any part list for the whole video chain would be welcome.

You all take care and happy flying.