Aircombat Yak-9

Hello everyone!

The Yak-9 plan in the May 2020 issue is my first published plan in the RCM&E magazine and I'm very happy about that. In case there are any questions I would be glad to help.

I have many good memories of that tough little plane and some exciting dogfights at aircombat contests. Actually several new ones are being built at a club nearby and powered again by small .15 engines for the new retro trend.

Best wishes and stay healthy,
Timo

img_2389.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 04/05/2020 21:09:40

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 04/05/2020 21:10:00

• 4 weeks later...

Hello James, that should work, too. There's at least one Yak with a .26 four-stroke:

www.rc-network.de/magazin/artikel_10/art_10-005/art_005-01.html

The .25 LA should be quiet similiar in weight and power. The plane above was at 909 grams, dry. Lighter is better of course and for these small models even 100 grams less flies much nicer. But the models can cope with a higher wing load. Flying will be fine, landing speed a bit higher. It's the start which is more critical at higher weight. Engine failure during start is much more forgiving at lower weight.

Problem is the long nose and short tail of the Yak. Therefore would install the elevator servo in the tail, as done on my Bf 109 and put the receiver battery as far back as possible:

www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=135518&p=2

To keep general weight low despite the heavier motor, try to get sorted light balsa, use small 10-13 gram servos and use white glue or cyano, no epoxy. Finish should be light, so no glass cloth covering.

Otherwise I would suggest a 1/12 Hawker Typhoon, Tempest or Gnumpf pylon racer as a perfect model for .25 engines:

www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=154347

Best regards,
Timo

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 27/05/2020 21:11:06

Hello Timo. Thanks for your reply. I have already cut out all the parts so the Yak will be built! I may buy a new .15 OS LA and keep the .25 for another project.

Another member of our local flying club has already built one and we are going to try and persuade others to build and join the fun👍

Will keep you posted on progress.

Cheers James.

• Like 1

Thanks, nice to hear that, James! Flying with these small fighters is always much more fun with at least one another pilot. Looks better and adrenaline goes up. These easy models are not only perfect for dogfights but also for formation flights.

Here's a link to the international Facebook group of aircombat pilots:
https://mbasic.facebook.com/groups/415329810175?refid=18&__tn__=C-R

I'm always interested on progress of self built models

Timo

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 07/06/2020 22:09:07

• 2 years later...

You could definitely make it electric. I'm still undecided as to whether to run it on a motor or an engine at the moment! In the RCME article, it has a suggested electric set up, so I've actually ordered a 3536 1500kv thumper from overlander and if I go down that route I have plenty of 3S 2200mah batteries to use.  I also "accidentally" purchased a HB .15 glow engine which I could equally stick in it. Or I might just build a second one and have one electric and one too. Let's see!