CAP1915 UK Drone Corridors - Future impact on model flying?

CAP1915 describes trial drone corridors for COVID 19 medical deliveries. These beg a few questions:

• Will approval of these corridors be continued after we are allowed to fly again?
  • Will the restart of model flying be delayed to allow the drone flights to continue for longer?
  • What height will they be flying at?
  • Will model flyers be expected to check NOTAMs to ensure their intended flying site isn't on the drone's route?

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 09/05/2020 02:01:53

Having read most of that stuff. IT seems that it will be almost impossible for existing availabe drones to comply with half of the requirements.

The all up weight does mean that only very small loads can be carried.

It seems to me that the existing "Pony Express" service is far more practical in that it involves manned light aircraft and can carry much bigger loads.

**LINK**

why would this interfere with modellers flying from their local field/patch,probably at a total different height etc to any drones.we fly at our site BVRMC on the edge of the controlled airspace of NCL airport and have done for aprox 60 years with full-size moving around all the time. We had the BBMF lanc and spit over fly us without any animosity etc...so why( if it happens) a drone flying through should be a cause to be up in arms I reckon is a non starter...

ken anderson...ne..1.... non starter dept.

Re: Pony Express.

When I worked as a "customer engineer" ('80s) the company used a courier service of that name to send spare parts into the field. I phoned one day and requested a disk drive. Now these drives were roughly 600 mm wide, 750 mm long and 200 mm deep, they weighed 120 lbs. (and stored a massive two Mbytes)

After an hour or so there was a call from the reception desk saying it had arrived so I went to help the courier bring it in. To my amazement it was bungie strapped to a carrier rack on the back of a motorbike" - and it was only a 250cc job. I think the courier himself was only about 5 foot 2" and I am sure he weighed less than the disk drive.surprise

Meanwhile the CAA have withdrawn an exemption the police had to for the more flexible use of drones:

Reference:ORS4 No.1375

Title small Unmanned Aircraft - COVID19 Pandemic - Emergency Services Response

Description:General Exemption which allows a more flexible, but controlled, use of a small unmanned aircraft in support of the Police response while enforcing the Government restrictions resulting from the COVID19 pandemic.

Review Comment:This general exemption has been revoked following assessment of its use, and in anticipation of increased General Aviation and other airspace user activity over the coming days and weeks.

Edited By John Lee on 09/05/2020 09:26:59

Posted by Steve J on 09/05/2020 09:03:23:
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 09/05/2020 02:00:48:

Will model flyers be expected to check NOTAMs to ensure their intended flying site isn't on the drone's route?

We are supposed to check NOTAMs before we fly.

Full-size pilots don't check NOTAMs, I know this because there was one posted about a glider tow we had at a local club and we still had them flying over our field.

A.

Hmm - as I understand it a NOTAM (NOtice To AirMan) is just that - a notice. It does not in itself create a danger or prohibited area or amend the classification of the airspace. It just informs the pilot of an activity so that he can take it into account. Of course a NOTAM can be used to notify the existence of a danger area which has been created for a particular reason.

We certainly checked them at my gliding club some years ago when I was active, which were received daily by fax [remember them?] Mistakes happen, but I would be surprised if full sized pilots regularly ignored them.

Happily, it's far easier to get NOTAMs in this internet age - you can get a daily update to your email inbox every morning.