Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

With the price of Chinese kits soaring and the possible continuation of an on/off lockdown , it seems a good time to offer another model to those that have already built our Spitfire (others are also welcome!) .

To that end we have been looking at our 56" P51 in all of its guises . The Spitfire gets a solid thumbs up thanks to its authentic shape , great handling and laser cut self jigging build . So we are looking at releasing a new Mustang to hit the same criteria .

The new Mustang will include flaps as standard and although configured predominantly for the 98% that will fly it with electric propulsion , there will be an option for those that want to use an OS/ASP /SC .52FS .

All three versions of the Mustang will be available , the original "birdcage" canopy , the retrofitted Malcolm Hood , and the definitive teardrop P51D.

So what is it going to look like ? Well here is a prototype that was made a while back but never went into production . It weighs 6lb exactly is all built up as suggested (ie , no foam veneer ) and includes the Mr RC sound system . I use it all the time as it is a very practical model and certainly no hanger queen ,mustang51.jpg

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 13/05/2020 19:44:26:

With the price of Chinese kits soaring and the possible continuation of an on/off lockdown , it seems a good time to offer another model to those that have already built our Spitfire (others are also welcome!) .

To that end we have been looking at our 56" P51 in all of its guises . The Spitfire gets a solid thumbs up thanks to its authentic shape , great handling and laser cut self jigging build . So we are looking at releasing a new Mustang to hit the same criteria .

The new Mustang will include flaps as standard and although configured predominantly for the 98% that will fly it with electric propulsion , there will be an option for those that want to use an OS/ASP /SC .52FS .

All three versions of the Mustang will be available , the original "birdcage" canopy , the retrofitted Malcolm Hood , and the definitive teardrop P51D.

So what is it going to look like ? Well here is a prototype that was made a while back but never went into production . It weighs 6lb exactly is all built up as suggested (ie , no foam veneer ) and includes the Mr RC sound system . I use it all the time as it is a very practical model and certainly no hanger queen ,mustang51.jpg

Make the Spitfire or the Lavochkin again and I will certainly buy one or the other, perhaps both.

For me the P51 is an "Only if you don't make one or other of the two above" even though it looks real pretty in your picture..

The only P51 I ever made was the 1960's Mercury control line one. And only because the model shop didn't have the Mercury Spitfire and I was determined to spend my twenty-four shillings and sixpence.

Electric? No chance. High pitched whining WW2 warbirds are  truly horrible. A nice four-stroke sounds 'correct' even though it isn't spot on.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 13/05/2020 20:11:54

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 13/05/2020 20:14:12

As I wrote elsewhere, yes please.

Old hands, bear in mind that P51s are far from hackneyed to us returners and new entrants and it does sound like there is a genuine appetite for it. The good news therefore ought to be that if Richard runs this production, it might encourage him to move straight onto something more arcane or exotic, so we all get something we want. As I told him recently, at my club there’s a definite tendency when a decent, interesting plane turns up for several more identical ones to follow on swiftly. There’s no substitute for seeing somebody else’s flying to encourage investment.

Better crack on with the Spit then.

BTW, what LiPo does it use?

BTC

The cowl will be made to take a variety of spinner / prop combinations . The FMS one will fit and obviously that is a four blade prop . There is also an alloy version available which can be cut to take 2/3 and four blade . IC versions because of the lack of torque will be limited to two blade or three .

There are so many colour schemes and versions that although it is most definitely a mainstream choice , there is so much scope to put your own spin on it .

The RAF version looks a long way from the one above and there are literally hundreds of colour schemes . The thing is , a light, wooden P51 will completely out class a foamie when flown in breezy conditions and there is no reason why a well kept electric version like the one above, wont last for years .

Top quality balsa is expensive but if you want the best compromise between light weight and structural integrity there is only one material that delivers the goods.

Looks great - and thanks for the impetus to get my old Kyosho P-51 out of deep storage. She should be ready to go by the time that we get out of lockdown here. The only holdup would be that I was going to do a full cockpit, but on the off chance you;ll be producing a cockpit kit for the P-51 kit I'll hold off on that and just fit a temporary pilot. In fact, I'd imagine that you might have P-51D canopies as spares for the new kit and that one of those might even fit the Kyosho P-51D and replace the beautifully aged yellow canopy I have in the box.

Yes , the canopy was very odd on the Kyosho Mustang . Excessively low at the front and way too short . They also managed to nip the cowl in to fit an off the shelf 2.5" spinner which was way too small . Well made model though and flew really well . They were great models at £130-£150 but then they stopped making them for about five years and re introduced the same "SQS" models at double the money .

Kyosho have a good reputation but little things mentioned above . plus the very strange "non shrinking covering " pushes them too far to the "sport" end of "Sport scale" for most people on this forum . The P51 covering was the best , but the190 and 109 became wrinkly quickly and stayed that way ,

Andrew , interesting that a lot of our chaps are leaning towards the earlier types . I like both and until I lost my P51B in a field full of 7ft high peas , I had the one above and "Princess Elizabeth " (another blue nose ) The farmer did find the model about two months later , but the weather and field mice had treated it very badly ,

While we are at this stage , it might be an idea to post up some pictures of what we all have in mind .

Sorry Jon , as we established we could not create anything that would stretch into everyone's camp.

However , you are not forgotten . I have a couple of thoughts on the Laser owning chaps .

I can put a post back on the other thread later ,

Ron , eight is good , but this will reach double numbers quite quickly . The lure of the middle ground is not to be underestimated .wink

I'll be very interested in one of the kits as a B variant, I had your last foam wing p51 kit from you a few years back now, its almost built! Many other models got in the way plus selfemployment and now a divorce all slow things down frown

I have a Topflite P51d with laser100 which is very nice to fly, film covered so as light as it can be, the B version is going to get a 60fs so a new laser cut one in electric would fill all moods and roles plus I have a mr rc sound system doing nothing tooyes

Get those kits out Richard please

Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 14/05/2020 08:57:46:

However , you are not forgotten . I have a couple of thoughts on the Laser owning chaps .

I can put a post back on the other thread later ,

Now that is really going to put a dent into my airplane 'spend' bank balance!

If I do build the P82 then colours are somewhat limited but Black Knight looks nice although would / could be an orientation issue! Also the fuse would need lengthening (like the P51H) along with the other more obvious mods.

Edited By Ron Gray on 14/05/2020 09:26:53

Now am I gonna be in trouble with the Mrs..

angel

I feel a P51B coming on.... and this has got to be one of the inspirational stories link for a subject.

I will on behalf of our little community, start to gear up the real workers at 'Wills Tower'. I am having a shipment of Harribo sent to 'The Boys' to make sure their sugar levels are such to ensure 'the boss' gets his finger out.

devil