Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Fully paid up disciple of Paul and Richard here!

The black/ white pens work really well. I agree with Paul, you don't want a continuous solid white line as you are trying to imply light catching on a panel gap. Fortunately, it turn out far easier to get a broken line than a solid one with these pens. I'm a bit heavy handed in the pics; next one will be better!

I didn't have the guts to use a wash, but used chalk. At Richard's suggestion, I got a pack of 'greys', which went from white to black. I lightly applied a strip of masking tape just ahead of the line and then rubbed chalk into the tape before feathering it from the tape across the panel. I used light chalk on the dark colours, and dark chalk on the, er, light ones... Time will see how long it lasts, but I'm sure aircraft in service got washed from time to time! I may practice with my airbrush on my next project (Yak 3).

Final point, I used silver and bronze sharpies to add some wear that would go down to aluminium. Around the leading edge, canopy frame etc. Apply a little dab and then immediately smear it with your fingertip. The bronze worked well on the exhaust stacks.

Rivets are done similarly to lines, a tiny semi-circle of black (like a smiley face) and then an inverted smiley of white above it. The lower one is a shadow, the upper is light catching the rivet. You can just about see one near the spinner. Not to many rivets on a spitfire!

It's a hugely relaxing and satisfying process. The model literally comes to life before your eyes.

Graham

1876400250_spit100221-6.jpg.0376953a81d2c6259f64f8ed2d408998.jpg

1188214731_spit100221-1.jpg.d45a772edd04a13ddd84880f62ff2779.jpg

• Like 2

Okay, before I get overwhelmed with a sense of inferiority in the face of all these beautifully finished models, back to the Mustang and the first rehearsal for the grand wing joining ceremony. Sorry my phone doesn’t seem to know which way is up, but in this case I don’t think it matters too much.9E488AED-F8BA-4C29-AF96-9DD20690D080.thumb.jpeg.eee9eef157aac5c7ada955d8912ce727.jpeg

I’m planning on sheeting the underside after joining the wings, mainly so that the dihedral braces can be properly clamped. I’ve also got the self-inflicted added complication of the inner gear doors to sort out.

Trevor

1 hour ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

Trevor 

Be a little careful when you put the lower skin on if you have joined them as until both skins are on it can still twist a little.

Point taken Paul. I hope still to be able to use the support jigs when I get round to sheeting the underside.

Right chaps . As quite a few of you are either having a go at finishing or about to have a go , I thought I would share a little bodge with you for those that are thinking about the need for "soft edges" and exhaust stains . 

These can be achieved to some degree with a dry brush , but it never looks as good as an airbrush . 

At this point , most of you reel back in horror . The mention of "dual action ",  different paints , technique etc is enough to put anyone off . 

So lets take a very , very simple approach with a few quids worth and next to no time or skill .

Every super market sells little 12v tyre compressors for about £10 . Get one and piggy back a XT60 or similar Lipo plug off of the power lead . Rather than cutting the cigarette socket off , this will leave the compressor undamaged for its original purpose . 1255961683_Airbrush1.JPG.e4cf278b630502e6aa0954c43eb0236a.JPG

Then go on line and google "Cheap airbrush"701862764_Airbrush2.JPG.18b415fd6333187cd88ab14947428078.JPG

Something like this will come up . it is very simple and simply siphons paint from the jar . It will come with an air feed tube and that will need to be epoxied to a foot pump adapter . The airbrush will be between £8 and £13 . 

You could just connect the air brush to the compressor , but it is very noisy when you are doing something delicate plus it will tend to pulse the air too much so it is better to fit a reservoir tank of in between . The bottle becomes a header tank so provides smooth air and also holds enough to turn off the compressor at 25psi and do all of you exhaust stains etc in quiet peace . 

• Like 1