Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Somebody mentioned getting FMS predator motors form wheelspin . 

Good idea , they are cracking motors , but FMS dont give you an  X mount or the proper screws to mount it . Thats because FMS use a weird bent metal standoff .peculiar to their set up.

Consequently ,I have had the machine shop make up some X mounts and obtain the correct length screw that avoid damaging the windings . 

Regarding the tail wheel . Flying off grass you dont really need to steer it as the rudder is quite effective on the P51 because it is way further back then the tail wheel . 

Secondly , the simplest way to fix the castoring wheel is to simply put two 90 degree bends in after the wire goes vertically through the collar so that the wire arches over the nylon unit (like a scorpion sting ) and then drill a hole in the ply plate for the "sting"  to locate in . In fact if you look back at the picture of the plan  you can see it . 

2 hours ago, RICHARD WILLS said:

Somebody mentioned getting FMS predator motors form wheelspin . 

Good idea , they are cracking motors , but FMS dont give you an  X mount or the proper screws to mount it . Thats because FMS use a weird bent metal standoff .peculiar to their set up.

Consequently ,I have had the machine shop make up some X mounts and obtain the correct length screw that avoid damaging the windings . 

Regarding the tail wheel . Flying off grass you dont really need to steer it as the rudder is quite effective on the P51 because it is way further back then the tail wheel . 

Secondly , the simplest way to fix the castoring wheel is to simply put two 90 degree bends in after the wire goes vertically through the collar so that the wire arches over the nylon unit (like a scorpion sting ) and then drill a hole in the ply plate for the "sting"  to locate in . In fact if you look back at the picture of the plan  you can see it . 

Richard might need to order one off you then. ??

Any one with the Predator 580Kv motor , the motor mount  is available from Wheelspin Models

Part No  FMSDJOO4 Motor Mount (1.4P51/BF109/F4U/FW190/EXTRA/SBAC/YAK/EDGE

Digital code 5 055323 991417. Delivery was only 2 days std post.

Made one myself using 3mm thick Alu plate, then they became available so purchased one to compare. Mine was cheaper as it just required my effort.?

49 minutes ago, alan p said:

Any one with the Predator 580Kv motor , the motor mount  is available from Wheelspin Models

Part No  FMSDJOO4 Motor Mount (1.4P51/BF109/F4U/FW190/EXTRA/SBAC/YAK/EDGE

Digital code 5 055323 991417. Delivery was only 2 days std post.

Made one myself using 3mm thick Alu plate, then they became available so purchased one to compare. Mine was cheaper as it just required my effort.?

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/263195/

Hi just about to do the hinges.  I have 23cm of mylar and 21 hinges to make.  So I am assuming I  cut the hinges 1cm and use the width to make the hinges. So each hinge is roughly 2.5cm long and 1cm wide.   Is this correct.  I do have some ca hinges I can use if I need more. 

20210402_160557.jpg

Well, the servos for the Mustang arrived yesterday.  They are PTK 9497MG-D from our friends in the Far East.  They look good actually and I think they might be what you used Paul?  The weird thing is, each servo has four mounting holes but they only provide two screws!  I hope I've got something suitable in me "small screws" drawer!

You’ll probably find that you haven’t ordered enough of them Tim as they are so useful for all manner of applications. I found that when the first batch I bought disappeared into all manner of construction assemblies. I then bought the ‘kit’ which also has the advantage of  having a nice little box to keep them all in.

Now, regarding Paul’s faulty servo, between you and me I suspect that his extremely shoddy wiring, namely non parallel ties, is the true reason for its failure.

Hi all, mine had its maiden flight yesterday, a little hairy at first but once trimmed it was fine, slightly nose heavy but it took off ok and did not nose over. However on landing it floated on and as our club strip is inclined I had to land downhill due to the wind direction. to get it to touch down I gave a touch of down elevator it did not hit the ground too hard but it pulled the retracts out both sides. I thought at first it was not too bad but the main plate ply had split as the retaining screws only just went half way in to the main plate. I feel if the screws had been longer I would have been ok. I have made some ply horse shoes and glued them to the inside of the main plates and then I will get some longer screws to go right through. Hopefully this will cure the problem , I do not see it as an issue if you have a flat field or tarmac to land on as it floated down level without a hint of tip stall, Can't wait to fly it again but we must have upset the weather gods as the forecast for next week is not good.

Eric.