Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

13 hours ago, Eric Robson said:

Hi Jonathan, just checked mine it has 10mm down at the wing tip. You can check it by laying a straight edge on the top of the wing and aileron, then take the aileron to its down position and measure the distance. The only way to get more movement is to sand the angle to increase the gap, make sure you sand it flat if it bulges in the middle you will be no further forward. 

Eric,

I have done what you say put a straight edge across the wing and aileron then measured to from that to the wing tip in the down position I have circa 8mm down.  I might see if I can give it a sand to get more like 10mm.  and then check its partner.  

you mentioned a bow which part do you think might be bowed and in which dimension.  I am not sure I am seeing it but then not sure what I am looking for.

BTW. I cannot thank you all enough for taking the time to help and advise me.  I do really appreciate it. 

Edited by Jonathan S
correction

I love your work Ron. It just tickles me that the bloke who originates the design glues his servos in with a hot glue gun because he can't be bothered with screws, and then we have the "Heart Surgeons " (Ron and Paul ) polishing up after me . ?

I suppose my only comment would be that if any of our models become lawn darts , I will have wasted less time ............

I also have another theory . Us at the "shirking " end of the building spectrum , are less likely to post a "building shot " because of the chaos that might reveal , with or without feet .

For those of you out there , who are like me , working on the last two inches of the bench , with a broken hacksaw blade because you cant find your razor saw . Take heart . You will build two models in the same time as everyone else .....

and have the capacity to fix your model at the field with something you found under the spare wheel , even though it wasn't the "right tool for the job " ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh , the "heart surgeons" having their fun . 

Eric and I are planning a break away group for the incurably messy . 

Boris Johnson hairstyle is entirely de rigueur, a lack of proper tools and work shop at least a foot deep in detritus , or what we prefer to call "invaluable spares".

Surely , this is the back bone of British engineering , not some Dyson style technician in a clinically clean laboratory . 

Ooops , Christ ! I nearly slipped on that oil spillage ! 

Or was that the old tena lady letting me down again ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paul Johnson 4 said:

A booboo is fine but beware the Yogi...

It was nearly booboo and you. Had not attached the flap skin correctly and the flaps would not retract.  Also knocked off some skin from around the wheelwell trying to join the wings.  I had read your post but thought I was fine, I was not. Lol should be easy to fix.  So now the next daunting part shaping the leading edge and tips and keeping it the right shape......

Thanks Eric. I had wondered about slotting the cowl and inserting the exhausts from inside but I think it would make it harder to get them to lie nicely on the fuselage sides so I think I'll follow your 'glue them on the outside' approach.

Well with the weather nice the P51 had her maiden this morning.

She needed a slight trim with ailerons and rudder but behaved very well.

I have the C of G at 100mm from the leading edge centre and I think that it could be moved back still a touch to 110mm as she wanted to slide in a turn nose down. On the three flights I had it was easily dealt with, with opposite rudder. Obviously no inflight shots/video are available due to being on my own.

She has the Predator 580kv motor and the 4 blade 14x8, on the 4000mAh battery I got a comfortable 6 minutes of flying time with the battery checker showing 30% left.

It flies well on 3/4 throttle and is reasonably fast.

Landing is a breeze with full flaps at 55Deg. It floats in with very little throttle and has no tendencies to roll or nose up when the flaps go down, mine are programmed to extend fully in 6 sec from the transmitter. If you can't do that try it at altitude first just to be safe.

The magnets holding the scoop on worked well and it stayed in place as well as the battery hatch. It was worth adding the rear radiator door not only for looks but for a practical purpose of venting any internal air pressure from the open chin scoop.

Jonathan

As this is your first warbird I strongly recommend getting a experienced fellow club member to carry out your maiden flight when your ready and a little buddy box time would also help to have your confidence built up before going solo.

20210501_074826.thumb.jpg.e900f77efecf2b9178f559a2fa0b9024.jpg

20210501_074802.thumb.jpg.e81c56503d26110ed6c65a6ce9572a45.jpg

• Like 4

Paul,

Looks amazing.... 

I really need to crack on with mine.  Struggling between work and family.  But wings are nearly complete so time to start the fuselage.   

I could do with some advise on shaping the leading edge and wing tips.  

Paul I will definitely get someone to help me maiden it.  I am trying to get some time on my durafly 1100mm spit. Did my first flap landing the other day... I was tempted to get the fms p51 for practice but decided that was a bit silly.