Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

On 18/11/2021 at 15:21, Gordon McConnell said:

Jon,

I guess very few of us are Sultans of Scale modelling. My model close up shows lots of areas which could be better and with this recent experience, it would be better on a second try. When it is in flight, you wont see any of the minute detail, only the excellent representation of Richard's fine model. Keep going, you are doing very well.

Gordon

P.S thanks guys for your kind comments on my P51. Just fitting the rudder and elevator controls then on to the wiring before I add the decals, etc. Still to weigh it which will be an key piece of data. I expect it is a bit heavy. We'll see!

Well, finally I have completed the P51 model minus a few decals for the fuselage invasion stripes. That should be done on the next week or so. I managed to weigh the model minus the battery. It came out a tad more than 6.5lb.  The 4S Overlander battery weighs just under 1lb, so the flying weight will be 7.5lb. Feels heavy and would be grateful  for some comparative weights from others on the forum. Motor is an Overlander 5055/06 580KV (279g) with the 4 blade FMS prop in a plastic spinner. 

The original Blue nose weighed 6.75lb but has no flaps . It is a doddle to fly and land even without flaps ,which will give you a lot of leeway . Just watch out for the torque going left on take off and rake the wheels forward to avoid hanging on the elevator . 

I don think 7.5 is unreasonable given the wing area and flaps .

Gordon, for what it's worth, my P51B (the razorback version) came in, with 4S, 4000mAh LiPo at 3,034g, which is about 6.7lb.  Your 4S battery sounds fairly heavy if it's nearly 1lb.  My 4S, 4000mAh batteries weigh 366g.  Mind you, they are nominal 25C, so I dare say yours are higher rated?  Whatever, I think you'll find it a beauty to fly - I absolutely love mine!

P.S. - Those weights were with a 15 X 10 2-blade prop.  I haven't weighed mine with the 4-blade 14 X 8 and ali spinner.

Edited by Tim Kearsley
Added a P.S.

8 hours ago, Tim Kearsley said:

Gordon, for what it's worth, my P51B (the razorback version) came in, with 4S, 4000mAh LiPo at 3,034g, which is about 6.7lb.  Your 4S battery sounds fairly heavy if it's nearly 1lb.  My 4S, 4000mAh batteries weigh 366g.  Mind you, they are nominal 25C, so I dare say yours are higher rated?  Whatever, I think you'll find it a beauty to fly - I absolutely love mine!

P.S. - Those weights were with a 15 X 10 2-blade prop.  I haven't weighed mine with the 4-blade 14 X 8 and ali spinner.

Tim,

Thanks for the info. Your build weight is very impressive indeed. I think my choice of Solartex for covering was not such a good one (plus too much paint to get an acceptable finish).

My Overlander Supersport battery is 35C 4250 mAh and weighs 411g plus an XT60 connector. 40g heavier than yours and around 10g more than Paul's Turnigy Nano. I will try to get a lighter solution when I need to build up my 4S packs.

Happy New Year to you and the other contributors to this thread.

Gordon

• Like 1

You're welcome Gordon.  My model was covered with Hobbyking film, so a little lighter than Solartex.  My batteries are a few years old now and are Zippy Compact 4S, 4000mAh, 25C.  I've just bought a few Zippy Compact 4S, 3300mAh, 40C batteries and they are only 10g lighter at 356g!  I shall slowly retire the older batteries now though, as I've noticed the internal resistance is climbing and you can detect a bit of "puffing" of the case.

We just need some flying weather now!

After a bit of a stall I am looking to glue the last few bits on. 

So as usual I have a few questions. 

I plan to stick the tail on with PVA, is this a good choice?

I am also looking for any advise on clamping it while the glue sets. 

On the canopy:

how do you blend the canopy to the fuselage and also shape it to fit snugly.  

Do you fit it pre or post covering the fuselage?

Thanks for all your help.  

Jon

Hi Jonathan, 

before you glue the tail on ,I assume you mean the elevator make sure it is level and in the correct position. This is best done with the wings on, put a pin in the centre of the fuselage at the rear of the cockpit or the engine bulkhead, using string measure the distance to the tip of the tail plane it should be equal distance to both tips as an extra check see if the distance from the wing to the tail is the same. also check that the tail plane sits level on the fuselage I use the mark one eyeball test for this looking from the rear, but you can put the plane on a flat surface propping it level, check that the height of the tail plane is equal, when satisfied I pin it on then mark the position then cut the covering away and glue it on checking and re checking before it dries. If you have not got a clamp big enough weight on the tail plane will do till it dries. when fitting the rudder make sure it is in line and use a square to check it is at right angles to the elevator.

Having said all that Peter Miller's Insanity fly's ok, see Jan RCME.

Regarding the canopy I shape mine till it fits snug  on the fuselage then I use servo screws to fasten it on.

Richard is selling Gordon Whitehead scale model building books, a mine of information.

Cheers Eric.    

• Like 1