Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

On 03/03/2022 at 14:30, Paul Johnson 4 said:

This is from the Bf109 thread. There is more pictures from page 19 to 23 there that might be of help

Just a quick follow up for the brave who have not tried the weathering before and may wish to have a go.  

After you have undercoated and then put your top coat on I used a black thin permanent marker to mark the panel lines, if you are nervous as I was on the first attempt use a pencil. This can be erased using a simple rubber if it's not where you want it. 

Once the black lines are draw, highlight each black line with a white pen, ink or gel pens work, draw the same side to keep them looking consistent, I used out board for the wings and behind, then for the fuz, behind and below. You can see it if you look at the pictures. For weathering and shading I used Humbrol dust wash on the upper surfaces and Humbrol ochre on the underside. This was done using a cheapy airbrush and a piece of paper to prevent overspray at the front of the panel lines again look at the picture . 

For the exhaust smoke I used Tamiya smoke lightly built up to I thought it looked ok. it's difficult to over do this one as it goes on very opaque. I also used Humbrol oil wash, which is a gloss, to show some 'leaks' in appropriate places. 

Go on have a go you know you want too...! 

Paul and Graham, thanks for the tips on weathering and panel lines.

The Bf109 looks fantastic. I will have a go with some panel lines on the bottom surface first. No one will notice if it goes wrong!! ??

So with Richard moving to Wiltshire, me still in Essex, Covid and lockdowns, we ended up with the stock in storage. Richard has started to sort out some things. So I thought I would give you guy's the heads up. I have just put one P51B kit, one P51D kit and Two Hurricane kits on the WarbirdReplicas.co.uk website. There is also One JU88 Bomber kit but you will have to email me for that. All are first come first served.

Glynn

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jonathan when you fitted the flaps were they already covered?

Have a look to see if the curved upper section of the flap is tight against the top sheeting of the wing.

If it is you could slide a fine piece of wet n dry paper under it and take a little off of it. CHECK it first don't just go straight in with the sanding. Try to locate where the resistance is. Each flap should sit comfortably in its fully up position.

After all the effort you've put in on this, it's well worth a bit more time to get it working properly. It can be quite hard to see exactly where the flap is binding but, once found, hopefully a few strokes with a sanding block or file should fix it.

• 3 weeks later...