2020 PSSA Mass Build - Sabre - The Completed Model Thread!

One more Phil!  Practically finished aside from any final tweaks and touch ups! (Hanger rash already! )

210436218_509950500242405_931404610657160809_n.thumb.jpg.b2f56f4416670557c3328557f1c55bb0.jpg

Ailerons, flaps, elevator, rudder & 2 pylon release servos.  AUW 2280g , pretty much 5lb, but feels OK.  Needed 134g in the nose to balance & the tanks don't seem to affect the CoG when released.  Finished in glass cloth, primer & 2K paints.  Decals sprayed or water slide transfers.  Pilot & seat 3d printed. 

Modeled on XB812 Canadair F4 Sabre used by 112(F) Sqn RAF in early 1950's at RAF Bruggen, Germany & now residing at RAF Cosford Museum hanging gracefully inverted from the hanger ceiling, albeit in a later squadrons makings.

209813691_2713366888954622_296844463808098424_n.jpg.56c7c8e8267fedf9e02e954c540ba2c6.jpg

210022492_394447315334329_2396401467364669051_n.jpg.32509b79489f9d4bf4cfe21b97db35fd.jpg

• Like 5

Just another reason why I never win prizes at this event, so detailed, scale like and accurate is your build Chris. If my 4lb 7oz porker can fly at such a speed then your 5lb er will really motor. Probably needs a bit more wind. Just make sure the C of G is right because I thought mine was right until I checked it properly with my Vanessa Balance Cradle and I discovered it was way out to the rear. No wonder it flew like a bag of shite. Only when the C of G was right was it transformed.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the comments. 

Pete, the way I see it we all push each other to be better in different ways, I'm just trying to keep up!  Your confidence in throwing a new model off the cliff, Phils impossibly neat building, Alans encyclopedic memory, Andys production rate of new models not forgetting everybody's skill and ingenuity in creating the masterpieces seen on the slopes.  Add to that brilliant flying, breathtaking flying sites and the fun and laughs on & off the slopes makes the PSSA an amazing group of people I'm grateful to be involved with!

Anyway, my Sabre may be spread out across the hillside next weekend! ?

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

With just over 3 weeks to go until we stage our deferred 2020 Mass Build Event 18/19th September 2021 - are there any more finished models ready to be unveiled here??

Everything is about ready for the event, we just need a promising forecast now!  Saturday will be the comp day if we get the conditions fit to fly.  A reminder that although we are running a low key competition for the Sabres, this is just an additonal element to our usual 'Fly for Fun' format and all types of PSS models will of course be flying throughout the weekend, not just the Sabres!  It should be a great meet!

There will be some static judging of all Sabres presented on the day, with prizes in 3 categories for 'Best PSSA Newcomer', 'Most Innovative Build' and 'Model of the Event'.

If you have completed your build and have not yet added a photo and some basic details in this thread - please try to do so as it helps build a bit of momentum on the lead up to our big day!  Many thanks and I look forward to seeing you all on 18th September!!

https://www.pssaonline.co.uk/event/pssa-fly-in-and-sabre-mass-build-event-september-2021/

My F86 is based on a Canadair CL-13B Sabre Mk.6, N8686F.  The plane was used by Boeing as a chase plane and flew alongside the first 747 flight in February 1969.

As this has been my first PSSA build, I followed everybody’s build blog’s and found all your detailed explanations and photos really helpful, Thank you.

Its covered in glass cloth & sprayed with acrylic paint.  Weight is 5lb with 100g in the nose to balance.  3d printed pilot from Andy Meade & homemade seat.

It’s just 2 channel with Ailerons & Elevator.

f86-2.jpg

f86-3.jpg

f86-4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1