Rusty Fergusson

Well I thought i would offer just a couple of pics up front of the model prior to paint but on completion of the construction. All very standard balsa ply traditional format, an older OS 70 four stroke up front should give more than adequate power and generous wing area should make for nice slow speed performance.

img_2078.jpg

Its a big cockpit area so I need a character pilot for this one I think. I was going to g with flaps but decided not to bother in the end as the weight and wing area is so good but we'll see when it comes to flight performance if some retro work might be required.

img_2081.jpg

Linds

Thanks for the interest guys as with all my own design these days followings drawings i get Slec to make a set of laser cut parts for me as this cuts down a lot of time and not too expensive to do.

img_0001.jpg

First job was going through and identifying all the bits, i should probably get them engraved but never seem to get round to that and it is never a bad thing to go through all the bits and see if i have missed anything anyway.

Job started with the front fuselage sides. these are in two sections each due to the depth and then have ply doublers glued to the lower edge and wing seat. Also added the first of the 6mm square to the front lower curved edge.

img_0002.jpg

I then marked the position of the formers on both fuselage sections and used them to set the positions of the other 6mm square strips down the fuselage sides. Everything was then glued in place on one side first and when dry fixed the second side in place

img_0003.jpg I also glued the first of the undercarriage fixing plates into position which helps keep things square

img_0004.jpg

Linds

Hi Geoff, there is plenty of space and good access via tank hatch for electric conversion, the only mod required would be a quick release hatch catch rather than the screws i used.

Moving straight onto the rear 6mm hard balsa lattice assembly using formers to ensure correct position then fixing uprights in place that the formers get glued onto and a 6mm insert at the tail end

img_0005.jpg

The assemblies go this far only (no diagonal bracing) before assembly onto the front fuselage as the rear formers will glue onto the forward face of the vertical bracing

img_0006.jpg

Rebates in the fuselage sides locate the lattice frames, the lower ply doublers also extend to add strength at the bottom.

img_0007.jpg

Linds

With the two latices frames attached now i started to add the rear formers one at a time working my way back down the fuselage. Each former being glued to the front face of the verticals of the lattice

img_0008.jpg

The fuselage is clamped at the rear also fixing top and bottom 6mm balsa plates in place. Note the whole in the rear former for the elevator push rod control

img_0009.jpg

More 6mm square bracing across the base of each former

img_0010.jpg

The top stringers are again 6mm square and now added to the top rear fuselage back to former number 9 and also added the diagonal bracing down the sides between each former, again 6mm square balsa

img_0011.jpg

Further 6mm sheet inset flush between former 9 and 10 as added support for the tail plane.

img_0012.jpg

Linds

At the front the cowl area is built in-situ and starts by tack gluing a couple of plates to set the angles for the front faces of the cowl, these will be removed later

0015.jpg

The front is made up of two 6mm balsa faces and a 3mm ply ring. the balsa faces need a chamfer carving both side such that the assembly sits square a bit fiddly but the photo makes much more sense

0016.jpg

I did not have my engine available at this point so had to measure carefully but you could fit the engine prior if you wished. Once the side plates are dry then add the nose ring

0017.jpg

The position of the ring can be set by a block across the top and then measure side to side, just make sure its square to avoid messing about later.

0018.jpg

The top of the cowl is then sheated with laminates of 6mm soft balsa, carved and sanded to shape.

0019.jpg

Linds

cheers Richard, feels like its been a while since i did a design although Terrysaur is still with the mag, anyway a bit more.

The underside is now sheeted, 6mm at the front so we can blend into the nose ring then 3mm behind back to the second uc plate which is glued onto the previous.

0020.jpg

The second UC plate is 3mm shy each side, these are filled with scrap balsa simply to make rounding the edge of easier

0021.jpg

Front end now sanded to shape on the underside. Note i have marked the position of the front face of F1 this is so i can cut on this line later to free the cowl from the fuz with a razor saw

0022.jpg

Linds

The tank hatch or battery hatch sits behind F1 and is made from two sub formers with 6mm balsa side rails and bridging longeron across the top. The sides are slightly built up and then chamfered to match the profile of the formers.

0023.jpg

3mm sheet is then added in two sections with joint along the centre line

0024.jpg

Before sanding i also started to prepare the top fuselage cockpit area by adding 6mm square struts and chamfer to the fuselage sides from F2 back to the rear of the cockpit ready for sheeting. This way when i come to trim and sand the hatch and fuselage will all blend together.

0025.jpg

Linds

3mm sheeting added using centre brace as the joint line and overlapping the chamfer cut to the sides of the fuselage

0026.jpg

With both sides done trim and sand together with the front hatch so all is level and then trim the cockpit area to shape using a template and sharp scalpel

0031.jpg

before sheeting the rear top section i glued a series of strips onto the top longeron aligned with the formers as extra gluing contact area

0027.jpg

3mm sheeting was then glued in place in two sections each side using the longerons as a centre joint from cockpit F5 former back to tail plane insert F9

0028.jpg

0029.jpg

Linds

Should have mention cockpit floor sheeted to top of upper logeron from 2mm balsa sheet and then the underside of the rear fuselage sheeted with 3mm balsa save for a rear ply plate to take a tailwheel assembly. all sanded and rounded off at the edges so time to start the canopy frames. These are made from 6mm square balsa , i used cocktail sticls glued through diagonally drilled holes to add a bit of strength to the joints, one for the front and one for the rear.

0032.jpg

The rear frame is glued to the front face of the rear cockpit former F5 sitting on the fuselage sides

0033.jpg

a 6mm semi circle is glued to the frame this having a cut out slot for the angled rear brace which is 6mm square spruce

0034.jpg

A centre 6mm sheet is then added and then the front frame added to this to set the position, a further semi circle of 6mm to the front of this and a further 6mm square spruce brace at the front. The whole assembly then has a further 6mm sheet added to the top

0035.jpg

further 6mm bracing is then added to the rear frame glued to the front face of F5 which really beefs up the structure. some further triangular infills around the bracing at the front and rear struts complete the basic frame work. the assembly is then sanded to match the angles so that the glazing will wrap around. will become clearer later.

0036.jpg

Now for the brave bit, take a razor saw or hack saw and cut the cowl free from the fuselage flush to the front of F1, the lines made early are a huge help. When done i fitted the engine mount and my rather well used OF70 Surpass and set about making clearance holes and fixing ply plates to secure the cowl back in place.

0037.jpg

lots of measuring and slowly carving and grinding produced a reasonable fit. i also added the lower air scoop simply from 3mm sheet

0038.jpg

0039.jpg

A couple of strips of 0.5 ply to the sides of the cowl stop screws from crushing the surface and as i had some laminating epoxy work to do i coated the cowl inside and out and the front face of former F1.

0040.jpg

just to help things along i made up the u/c from 3mm aluminium sheet and a 4mm dia length of piano wire. the assemble screwed to the u/c ply plate with the aid of a saddle clamp for the wire. an old set of wide 21/2" wheels that have hung around for years complete the job.

0047.jpg

Linds

The tank / battery hatch had a couple of ply rails added just to get a nice secure fit, will be retained by two straps with screws into ply plates.

0041.jpg

With the fuz put to one side time to make the fin and tail plane components. These are simply 6mm balsa strips cut to width and length and glued together

0042.jpg

Once dry the rudder was sanded to a taper profile leaving a thickness of about 2mm at the trailing edge and a chamfer on the leading edge, a 0.5mm ply plate will be glued each side for the horn fixing

0043.jpg

The tail plane is very similar construction, made from 3mm medium density balsa strips with a simple solid sheet section for the elevator, leading edges rounded and taper as per rudder to the elevator again with ply plates either side for the horn fixing

0044.jpg

The fin needs to have a location slot formed on the fuselage between F9 and F10, use some scrap 6mm and glue strips either side making sure the slot is centred and sguare

0045.jpg

The fin can then be slotted into face and further balsa added to make up thickness such that it can be carved and sanded to match the rear fuselage line. This can be done prior to gluing the fin in place.

0046.jpgLinds

Once sanded time to look at fit of fin and tailplane to the fuselage so decided to get these covered using heat shrink nylon. I then also located the elevator outer snake down the fuselage exiting at the rear slot in former F11 and added the 6mm F11 which will be rounded off.0050.jpg

Once happy that this was set square i glued the tail in place having removed some of the covering from the underside. I also extended the top balsa fairing with some more soft block

0050a.jpg

A quick test fit of the elevator to make sure all working fine. Also note the ply plate for the rear commercial tailwheel i had lying around, a world models item i think

0051.jpg

Before fitting the fin and rudders i installed the elevator and rudder servos onto ply plates. The rudder is closed loop so sited centrally and the elevator offset to one side. also note the throttle snake sited. Std servos used both futaba, 30001 for rudder and 148 for elevator as no great loads expected.

0052.jpg

Fin and rudder also covered and glued in place and horns fitted

0053.jpg

cables run down the fuselage and exit through two abs tubes for guides, perhaps brass would have been better but i did not have any two hand and as the cables are nylon coated any wear should be minimal. I also covered the rear fuselage open lattice structure again with heat shrink nylon.

0054.jpg

Back to the front of the model and time to create the air exit for the cowl into the underside of the fuselage. I planned for this with a slot cut into F1 but for some reason added a radii to the corners so first job was to mark out and trim material away from the underside and remove the radii from the former

0048.jpg

Trimming done and 3mm balsa sheet added, this combined with a small cut away at the rear of the cowl should ensure adequate cooling for the engine

0049.jpg

Linds

Time to show the wing construction, all ribs from 3mm balsa, constant chord so all basically the same except for some cut outs for servo trays and center spar braces which require the ribs to be cut in half.

070.jpg

Other items are spruce 6mm square for the main spars, 3mm marine ply spar braces and aileron servo fixing strips, 1.5mm servo plates. so nothing unusual

071.jpg

I built the wing with the first panel carrying the spar braces but we start with siting the lower main spruce 6mm square spar, the rear 6mm hard balsa lower spar and then setting out the ribs, including ply strips for the aileron servo fixings. Spars are aligned on the center line joint.

073.jpg

I used the servo plates to ensure correct spacing so i get a nice neat fit later, simple tip that can remove a real pain later getting the plates to sit flush with the underside of the wing

074.jpg

Top spars now added together with main spar brace, rear spar brace and wing bolt plate. I added the rear section ribs to the centre section together with a couple of small triangular blocks for support. Trailing edge stock was also added which is just a strip of 6mm medium density balsa cut to size.

075.jpg

My bench is long enough to now prop the first panel up such that the spar brace second side can sit flush on the bench to account for the dihedral and the second panel can be made as per the first in-situ and joined to the spar braces as you go. If necessary it could be made separately and added after.

076.jpg

With the basic wing complete check the position of the center line and then fit the front dowel plate to the front of the spar which is in effect a further wing spar brace and also set the position for fixing the front outer riblets that run either side of the fuselage side when the wing locates so worth a quick check against the fuz to check positions and fit are ok

077.jpg

Front riblet now added together with the 6mm balsa leading edge strip to both sides

078.jpg

When dry the wing was flipped upside down and the trailing and front 1.5mm sheeting was added, note i want to keep the structure flexible at this point so the cap strips and tip and centre mid sheeting were left till later as we need to incorporate some washout into the wing which i will do next

079.jpg

Linds

Hi, been watching this one quietly in the Background, it`s coming along nice.

I always look at your build and wounder to myself how deos he design his models so meticulously even down to using cocktail stick to strengthen a joint.

Well done for the work so far i am sure it will be a Great flyer. thumbs up

Steve

Absolutely Kevin it certainly would be.

Ok so time to build in some washout, some people maybe thinking what is washout so a very quick interpretation is a twist built into the wing that raises the trailing edge at the tip of the wing. The effect is that the wing tips have a reduced angle of attack to the airflow at reduced speeds and nose up attitudes typically during landing and as such reduces risk of tip stall. it also has a spin of in reducing aerodynamic drag in normal flight. Anyway simple to do if you follow simple procedures in the build and starts with jacking up the trailing edge at the tip, in this case a piece of 12mm MDF does the job nicely plus a couple of supporting strips and a bit of weight to hold the wing down.

080.jpg

With that done the top sheeting can be added, leading edge, trailing edge center regions and cap strips to the top of the ribs. This combined with the sheeting on the underside that was partially done will make the wing stable and the washout will be fixed and built in

081.jpg

Complete the sheeting to the top both panels, i also added the wing dowels while the glue was drying

082.jpg

Linds

With the main sheeting done top and bottom a couple of little details such as hardwood block to fix the wing struts glued to rib and spar for secure fixing although largely cosmetic on this design

101.jpg

Trailing edge sections added to centre section and tips, stock 38x13mm commercial section used with a tad of sanding

102.jpg

1.5mm ply plate covers for the aileron servos, these have hardwood blocks glue to them on the inside to fix standard size Futaba 148 servos, arm exits through the slot and straight rods to the ailerons horns etc

103.jpg

To keep the wing underside flush to the fuselage soft sheet was cut and glued to the underside, same width as fuselage and sanded to match and drilled through for wing bolts

104.jpg

Wing tips complete the wing structure, i used an extra rib from 6mm balsa and a 3mm balsa profile section then scrap wedges top and bottom and sanded to shape

105.jpg

I chose to get stuck into the covering next. The wing, tail surfaces and open structure on the fuselage all done with the last of my clear solartex. the solid areas of the fuselage were all covered with 0.5 glass cloth and deluxe materials acrylic resin. The resin takes a few coats and sanding between to get to a reasonable finish for painting. So with plenty of white going spare thats what was applied to the glass finished areas. With that done it was time to start on the glazing so firts task to make a few thin card templates.

110.jpg

The sheet acetate 0.5mm was then glued with rc modelers glue and a number of small screws, i will mask off and paint later. I also gave the inside of the cockpit a coat of black.

111.jpg

112.jpg

Front hatch retaining straps are simply strips of 1mm abs and screw into hardwood blocks and of course time to create a few decals to add to the effect

113.jpg

115.jpg

Nearly done now. Linds

Plenty of space in the natch for fuel tank or battery, slec tank fitted with loads of space to get set up just right and should provide more than adequate should it go electric

116.jpg

Underside of the cowl is neat and tubes for tank and oil bleed from engine exit, these are retain by p clips screwed it the firewall

117.jpg

Radio installation pretty much complete, again not short of space. A quick cg test would put the 5 cell sub c nmh battery i intend to use just behind the U/C position so has loads of space and a simply ply tray will be made to fix in place across the fuselage width.

118.jpg

Got a bit carried away really and decided to add some purely cosmetic wire bracing to the tail surfaces as well as a logo and bit of rust paint

119.jpg

with a name like Rusty Ferguson i figured a few panels and rust marks were necessary

120.jpg

121.jpg

I also added some hinges to the right hand door to make it accessible and fitted a battery monitor and bit of a dashboard and of cause a pilot of suitable character although i will save his face till later

122.jpg

bit more detailing on the wing, fit the battery and ready for test flights i guess now, assembled shots asap

Linds