Rusty Fergusson

Well model now finished and waiting opportunity for test flight. I have pondered adding the wing struts time and time again but I'm really not sure it needs then so for the moment at least i have decided to go without, i may yet change my mind once i see how it looks in the air. Any way i have kept the scheme very simple on this one with basically all white, clear or antique fabric and just a couple of red highlights on the tips and fin. A few panel lines and obligatory rust marks to finish.

135.jpg

Oh and of course every crop duster needs a suitable pilot, this guy i think fits the bill nicely

136.jpg

Flying shots etc when opportunity arrives, not this weekend i feel

Linds

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had the chance for the maiden flight of Rusty Ferguson today and get some photos together

7f5a7490.jpg

I am really rather pleased with this design and with the ground shots out the way fuel up and engine running nicely a few taxi runs were carried out which proved a need for steerable rather than castering tail wheel will be an advantage so i will update back in the workshop. With that noted the model was lined up, power applied and committed to aviation.

7f5a7539.jpg

Some models just feel right and i was delighted to find that this is just one of them. Just a couple of clicks of down elevator and aileron had her flying straight and level and just feel very locked in

7f5a7571.jpg

Capable of all the basic aerobatics and infact probably aided by the deep fuselage produce quite an impressive slow roll showing good rudder authority and pitch control. The old OS70 Surpass has ample power to spare and large loops and steep climbs were easy, although i found myself playing touch a goes quite quickly.

7f5a7582.jpg

7f5a7642.jpg

The flight curtailed with a dead stick landing which proved the slow speed and stall design characteristics were also a delight. the only issue and cause of the deadstick was a fractured spring steel retainer on the needle valve failure that had allowed the needle to vibrate loose and fall out which curtailed flying. A shame to get just the one flight but was an absolute delight. chuffed with this one and will be one of my favorites i think.

Lindsay

many thanks guys, just need to track down a replacement OS70 Surpass needle now, i have spares of a lot of things but not one of these, either that or out with a metal detector although i think i have more chance of finding another saxon gold hawd rather than my missing needle valve. Linds

New needle valve sorted from Just Engines, great service, ordered about midday and arrived next day so already installed and looking forward to flying again soon so i guess for the moment this brings this design to a close, plan will be submitted to the mag. Something a bit different next time i think. Linds

• 5 weeks later...

A few more flights now and even an entry in a local fly in comp scoring a 2nd place in a pseudo scale schedule makes this design one of my favorites so stable yet maneuverable. It has now performed all sorts of aerobatics and capable of just about anything other than 3D hovering. What has surprised me is the accuracy with which it can be flown and with the slow speed handling you can fly it a very tight area. The rudder has great authority without any pitching issues making side slip and flat turns a doddle. Even in quite a breeze the model remains stable and not bumped around when others remain grounded. Anyway a couple more pics from today.

7f5a7702.jpg

7f5a7724.jpg

7f5a7798.jpg

Video to follow when we get a chance. Linds

I was going to go with flaps but decided not to bother in the end as the weight and wing area is so good but we'll see when it comes to flight performance if some retro work might be required. - L Todd

So no flaps then? Fingers crossed for the plan in a forthcoming issue - September would be fine Mr Crozier.

• 1 year later...

June issue of RCM&E has just hit the shelf of the local model shop in Christchurch NZ yesterday. I had asked them to give me a call when it and the July one arrives. Went and picked it up today and the proprietor said they had several others that had also asked them to hold copies of both the June and July editions for them. Sounded like its pretty unusual to be asked to reserve copies. Must be plenty of interest in the design down here in NZ.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello Lindsay.
I've been looking for a 60-65" low wing to build & fly.  Your "Rusty ferguson" Ag plane project fits my requirement very well, particularly as it can take an electric motor and handles windy conditions.
I have both RCM&E editions & plans, plus your building comentary for guidance.
Two queries if you don't mind.
The magazine articles refer to a model weight of 3.51kg, does that include the Surpass  engine?
And what size propeller did you use?
Thanks, Lee Rowley, Perth, West Oz