Ripmax WOT 4 XL Gider Tow Release

David Davis

We used to do a lot of aerotowing and we always attached the tow point above the CoG on top of the wing. This is the point at which the glider can have the least affect on the attitude of the tug due to being too high or low relative to the tug. Also the tail had wires between the fin and tips of the tailplane to prevent the tow line from snagging on the tailplane. this arrangement worked just fine.

I remember seeing a short film that was made by Jim Davis/Dave Wright and club mates that showed a very early attempt at aerotowing where wires were fitted to swivels at the wing tips of a low winger. The wires came to a point behind the tail where the tow was attached. This arrangement meant that the tug could be in any attitude completely unaffected by the glider. I wonder if anyone has used this system.

Thank you Simon. Wish I'd known that before. Your option makes far more sense.

Having said that there is a ply plate provided with the kit which fits on the underside of the wing. I had thrown mine away and there a Laser -marked circle in the upper balsa sheeting of the wing the same size as the diameter of the tow release! This is a picture of the installation in an advert on the Sussex Model Centre website.

glider tow release 3.jpg

We'll see how or if it works!

Edited By David Davis on 12/06/2020 11:24:45

Posted by Steve J on 12/06/2020 11:30:33:

David, the servo that you have used looks on the small side for the release on a model that size.

Posted by Andy Stephenson on 12/06/2020 11:17:16:

We used to do a lot of aerotowing and we always attached the tow point above the CoG on top of the wing. This is the point at which the glider can have the least affect on the attitude of the tug due to being too high or low relative to the tug.

I would say that having the release in the middle of the wing pretty much guarantees that the glider will be pulling the tug's nose up.

Perhaps Steve but it is metal geared.

Depending on the weight of the glider you are towing, David, you need to be sure that the release servo is man enough to actually release in an emergency situation. A 12lb 1/4 scale glider doing a little dance on the end of the line puts some force on the towing pin, so you need a servo with a decent torque to be able to release it and save the tug and hopefully the glider as well.

I use the Ripmax towhook on my Wot 4XL as above. I have a Futaba S3004 4kg servo powering it . I haven’t had any release problems yet although the gliders that I tow are all under 5kg. The line I use is braided nylon fishing line. Fishing line slides on the metal pin even under load fairly easily as it is nylon so low friction. I fitted the servo in the pre-made servo box in the wing . As said above the lid for the release box comes with the kit . 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 12/06/2020 17:13:38

Edited By Tim Flyer on 12/06/2020 17:15:53

Edited By Tim Flyer on 12/06/2020 17:31:22

• 3 weeks later...

I made my own...an utter failure.

I bought on of these for about £9 including p&p. No servo included. Not easy to install but got there in the end. No friction, quick release. I wish I’d got one in the first place. The only downside was cutting the side away

6ecc0d29-2383-4863-816d-7947e9f0af1d.jpeg

8f3035d9-19c1-4f95-8cf1-14c47fba79c7.jpeg

Edited By cymaz on 28/06/2020 18:50:03