Dangerous

Yep, not even ModelMatch can beat the determined aeromodeller!

OpenTX 2.3.n now warns you if you try to set up a model using an occupied model number, however older versions will let you set up as many models as you like on the same model number.  2.3 won't stop you, it only makes sure that you are aware of what you are doing.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 10/06/2020 17:14:51

Posted by Steve J on 10/06/2020 18:30:26:
Posted by Trevor Grace 1 on 10/06/2020 17:27:13:

i have got an old DSM2 DX7...

Spektrum binds a receiver to a transmitter and a model memory. If you have two models, use two memories.

Yep, just select the new model memory on the Tx and rebind the receiver, it will then only work on that model memory. There is no limit to the number of receivers you can bind to a single model memory.

Trevor, sounds like you may not know how to change memories in the Tx. Have you got a manual? Failing that just Google for your Tx manual and then read the bit about selecting memories in your Tx.

The great thing about the Model Match function is that if you forget to select the correct model on the Tx the radio in the model you are trying to fly will not work. The binding process tells the Rx what the Tx identity is and which Model memory is selected. The Rx will now only work with that Tx and the Model memory that you had selected when you bound the Rx to the Tx.

We had the effect from something like this at the field last week. Pilot with two models. Flew one, then later went back to the flightline with the other. Opened the throttle... fortunately only a little and heard the yell from the pits and cut everything. The other model had started as well.

Lesson learned we hope, the other parts of model safety don't go away when you have 2.5GHz and model binding.

This is very concerning on two counts. First the model in the pits had clearly not had it's power turned off. Second, another example of a pilot not understanding how to use the model memory on his Tx - could have been an error if he had forgotten to select the correct memory.

I wonder if a level of complacency has crept in as the need for proper frequency control disappears especially amongst pilots who have only ever used 2.4 GHz.

Posted by Dad_flyer on 10/06/2020 20:02:52:

We had the effect from something like this at the field last week. Pilot with two models. Flew one, then later went back to the flightline with the other. Opened the throttle... fortunately only a little and heard the yell from the pits and cut everything. The other model had started as well.

Lesson learned we hope, the other parts of model safety don't go away when you have 2.5GHz and model binding.

I did a similar thing a couple of days ago. Both planes IC powered. Flew and landed Number 1 plane. Wind got up so decided to fly Number 2. Put No1 to one-side and changed model name on TX to No2 and flew it. Landed number 2 no problem and switched off the receiver. No report of "telemetry" lost but thought I hadn't heard it. Went to switch TX off and got a report "receiver still connected". Switched No2 plane on and off again but still no "telemetry lost" warning. Made sure it was off, moved the sticks and heard the No1 plane behind me operate the servos.

Obviously had inadvertently left this on. The problem with this is would stop my Tx from reporting lack of telemetry if the No2 plane had lost reception in flight.surprise Lesson learnt I hope.

All my receivers are linked to my Frsky TX (Taranis) and even selecting a different model will still operate.

Edited By John Wagg on 10/06/2020 20:39:29

Edited By John Wagg on 10/06/2020 20:42:56

Edited By John Wagg on 10/06/2020 20:43:57

No, there's a very simple routine. Rx off then Tx off. How many times are you going to swap immediately from flying one aircraft to another without first switching off the Tx?

You should also check the battery state of the aircraft you are about to fly. Granted you could use the Tx for that but if your post flight checks are so poor you have become a danger to yourself and others.

Ofcourse, we all make mistakes but that's why we have pre flight and post flight checks. They are not there to pass the A test but to be used all the time.

Please forgive me if I am missing something here, but surely the key to ensuring that only one receiver responds to each transmitter model setting is achieved by assigning a unique receiver number to each receiver.

From version 2.3.x onwards, OpenTX companion even highlights if you have not assigned unique numbers (unless you use RX #00).

Attached image shows on the left, an old draft setup where RX #01 has been used multiple times and appears highlighted in red. The ones with no number shown are set to RX #00 (see next paragraph). On the right is my latest setup with all RX's having a unique number. I have made the RX number the same as the Model number (i.e model6.bin has RX #06).

Note that using RX #00 is a special case which overrides any attempt at enforcing unique receiver numbers. This allows for multiple models to respond to a particular TX setting i.e. you might want multiple quad copters on a common transmitter model setting. Use Receiver number 0 with extreme care!

10-06-2020 21-31-17.jpg

The receiver number is changed from within the "Setup" menu. For example, this sets Model number 6 to RX #06.

10-06-2020 21-32-14.jpg

Edited By Gary Manuel on 10/06/2020 22:05:35

Posted by Barrie Lever on 10/06/2020 22:10:54:
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 10/06/2020 21:45:21:

Even gladder now that I still use JR DSX9. None of that would be possible.

Martin

I would be very disappointed if a modeller of your calibre and reputation was using a Friskey radio or similar, in fact it would shake me to the core !!

Regards

B.

Satire ?

With the Horus and a receiver with telemetry you are warned if you attempt to turn off the transmitter while the receiver is still switched on. It's a bit inconvenient if you're checking the fail safe, which is how I discovered the feature.

I have had a few models with the same receiver number because I tend to copy a model and rename it for a new one but as I also have a picture of the model I intend to fly displayed on the transmitter (usually a picture of my actual model I've taken) it's not likely I'll use the wrong memory. I have made an effort to renumber my receivers to get out of my bad habit.

I assume Barrie Lever considers anyone using a Frsky radio a low calibre modeller with a poor reputation dont know

Geoff

The OP was using a Spektrum radio. To avoid any confusion on his part, with Spektrum you just have to make sure that you bind the receiver to a model number in the tx that isn't already used by another receiver. You don't have to assign a number to the receiver when doing this, as you do with the Frsky system. Modelmatch will work perfectly if only one receiver is bound to each model memory in the Tx.

Being an IT illiterate I've no idea how to use OpenTx. My Taranis does tell me I have left the Rx on if I try to turn it off. It also warns me that RSSI is low as well as telemetry lost. I can name and program each individual model and currently have 14 models listed. But that's about it. No numbering of individual receivers and may swap receivers about to the various models as I haven't got 14 receivers. I hope I won't make the same mistake again.

Posted by Geoff S on 10/06/2020 22:37:55:

I assume Barrie Lever considers anyone using a Frsky radio a low calibre modeller with a poor reputation dont know

Geoff

It seems to me Geoff that anyone using Frsky radio apparently needs to know that you have to assign numbers to each Rx used. As a JR user, this was news to me but it is clear that it is also news to a number of Frsky users from the posts above. The one good thing that JR got from their earlier agreement with Spektrum was the Model Match function. The Open Transmitter option is great if you are prepared to dig into the the guts of how to make the software work for you. Being able to make any function work with any stick, switch or slider might work for some but I found that when I moved from Futaba to JR that loss of being able to do this was not an issue since I gained in simplicity of setup. Now, this is not a poke at Futaba but rather a comment that from my point of view, the objective of radio controlled model aircraft is to fly them safely and not spend my time on setting up the radio to do all sorts of interesting things.  Clearly, there is another view point - that's mine.

Providing umpteen ways of doing things adds complication. The other thing is is appearing to add is a reliance on software to keep an eye on you dong the wrong thing. I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid). I am always surprised when people say their aircraft is unarmed when they have used a switch on the TX to hold the throttle. The reason is that the software we use has not been certified as being safety critical i.e. that the chance of failure is vanishingly small simply because it would become too expensive. Therefore, there are errors in the software that might manifest themselves at some point when a particular series of events occur.

To me, an aircraft is only disarmed when the drive battery is disconnected - obviously I'm focusing on electric aircraft for the simple reason that when an IC aircraft is armed the engine is running. Jeti make switches that are designed to be inserted between the drive battery and the motor and which can be switched by the Tx - that is clearly a great safety feature but they come at a cost.

So, following the KISS principle, we have the BMFA safety codes which specify the minimum actions required to make a radio model ready for flight and, after flying it, to make it safe. If we all follow those simple rules we would not be looking to create a software solution that tells you that you have not switched off your Rx. If you cannot trust yourself to do that after flight then you need to think carefully why you have such a blatant disregard for not just your safety but those of your fellow modellers and, indeed, the general public.

Aviation, full size or model, has bitten a good many people over the years. That has led to the creation of safety check lists that are designed to be simple but which need to be part of the routine of going flying. Relying on software, particularly when it is not designed to safety critical standards, to keep you out of trouble may come back to bite you.

Finally, that great disrupter called DISTRACTION, lurks there all the time just waiting for you to fall into the trap of being distracted at a critical point leading to an incident or accident. Stay focused on the job in hand until the flight has been successfully concluded and, particularly for electrically powered aircraft, the main drive battery has been disconnected. That way, if you do forget to switch off the Rx at least the motor is not going to start up unexpectedly!

Edited By Peter Jenkins on 10/06/2020 23:39:02

Posted by Barrie Lever on 10/06/2020 22:10:54:
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 10/06/2020 21:45:21:

Even gladder now that I still use JR DSX9. None of that would be possible.

Martin

I would be very disappointed if a modeller of your calibre and reputation was using a Friskey radio or similar, in fact it would shake me to the core !!

Regards

B.

(shakes head in utter exasperation)

Posted by Peter Jenkins on 10/06/2020 23:36:37:
Posted by Geoff S on 10/06/2020 22:37:55:

Geoff

It seems to me Geoff that anyone using Frsky radio apparently needs to know that you have to assign numbers to each Rx used.

No we don't.