Dangerous

Back to the original topic of model match - but on OpenTX, if I may.

Posted by Peter Christy on 11/06/2020 16:53:53

.......... As far as this numbering of the receivers goes, every time I have created a new model, the system has automatically attached an unused number to the receiver on binding. Yes, it is possible to over-rule the system, and make it use a number of your choice, but if you do that, you must take responsibility for that choice! It is not easily done by accident! If it were, I would have done it by now...! wink 2

That answers my earlier question about why OpenTX users don't "need" to know about assigning a unique receiver number. Thanks for that.

I have another important query though, but first some background. I have just switched from JR/DSM2 to Horus and have added all my existing 25 or so models with original DSM2 protocol / channel assignment etc to the Horus. Nearly all of my models therefore use an external multi-protocol RF module, with the internal module switched off.

I have just tried adding a new model (on Companion) and if I set the Internal Radio System to D16 or LR12 protocols, it does indeed assign the next available receiver number (as notified by Mike Blandford near the top of page 2 of this thread, setting to D8 protocol does not assign a receiver number). If however, I set the External Radio System to ANY of the available protocols, then the receiver number 0 is assigned i.e. no model match. The receiver number needs to be assigned manually in order to make model match work. It is therefore important that OpenTX users who use an external RF module are aware that they do need to assign this manually.

I am wondering whether this is an oversight by the OpenTX developers. How difficult would it be to automatically assign a receiver number to the external module, in the same way that they are assigned to the internal module?

Mike B is probably the best person to answer this, but my guess would be that not all protocols support receiver numbering and/or model match.

It may be difficult to implement on some, but not others. Also it is possible that the multi-protocol module doesn't communicate this information back to OpenTx.

'Fraid I don't know enough about its inner workings, but those would be my guesses.

--

Pete

Hopefully Mike will be along soon.

One thing that makes me think that this might just be an oversight is that the number assigned to the internal system follows on from the previous one assigned to the external system. They both therefore must be sharing the same numberring sequence.

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 12/06/2020 14:15:00:

Also, if you use a model as a template copying to create a new model it can use the same model number.

That's actually what I do. I have a template model with every feature I can think of - all exhaustively pre tested. I copy this to a new model and remove features I don't need.

Also, if you use a model as a template copying to create a new model it can use the same model number.

If you use Companion, it now highlights in red when any two setups have the same receiver number.

Posted by Andy48 on 12/06/2020 14:57:45:

If you use Companion, it now highlights in red when any two setups have the same receiver number.

Yes - and a very useful feature it is.

I don't know why openTx doesn't assign a receiver number for the external module, perhaps raise an issue on Github.

Until recently, the multi-protocol module only supported 16 receiver numbers, so with more than 16 model memories available, maybe it was considered it couldn't be done.

The multi-protocol module now supports 64 receiver numbers, and these apply to ALL protocols. For a protocol that doesn't support receiver numbers natively, the receiver number is used to modify the module unique ID to provide the function.

If you haven't seen this, I have D16 firmware for D8 receivers available, see here: **LINK**.
This fully supports receiver numbers, as well as a number of other features (optional SBUS output with optional polarity, auto-detection of bind mode FCC/EU, V1/V2, dual bind, 'D' or SPort telemetry etc.).

Mike

Posted by Gary Manuel on 12/06/2020 15:03:01:

and I refer the honourable Gentlemen to the second post in this thread teeth 2

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 12/06/2020 15:23:40:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 12/06/2020 15:03:01:

and I refer the honourable Gentlemen to the second post in this thread teeth 2

..... and the example screenshot towards the bottom of page 1 yes