62 inch WS RCME plan Spitfire

Hi James, it us always good to hear of others experiences and tips. I have a foam tailwheel on mine as well. Finish will be lightweight cloth with WBPU varnish as an adhesive.then a light coat of WBPU before painting with acrylics. I hope to test fly it before painting, however.

Clive.

It"s probably a bit late, but there are all sorts of parts for a similar size Spitfire here:

https://www.motionrc.eu/products/flightline-rc-spitfire-mk-ix-1600mm-pnp

Motion RC provide a good turnround time, too.

Don't know if the spinner could be adapted, but it's intended for a scale 4-blade prop with individual blades. If you used the right kV motor, the prop and spinner could be used, but I think the motor you mentioned earlier in the thread has too high a kV rating.

Shame, as my son has this Flightline model, and it has power to spare with the factory 6s powertrain, and still performs well on 5s.

Hi Trevor, thanks for your input.

I had promised myself a Flightline Spit as a retirement present to myself (I finish work in September) but as a flying buddy gifted me a balsa airframe if the same size, I thought it would be an adventure to electrify it. I have been taking my cues from the flightline one (c of g position, tailwheel size etc).

I believe the spinner/backplate/blades unit needs an adaptor to fit the motor and I am not sure that this is available as a spare part.

I am toying with the idea of sending for the flaps - at just over a tenner, they seem a Billy bargain.The sprung U/C looks good as well but they are a bit more if an investment.

I will persevere with this one but who knows, I might just have to turn to the Flightline in the end...

Clive.

Clive, certainly worth persevering, Tony's models always seem to fly well. I just downloaded the build article from his website, but couldn't see any reference to a specific spinner. I've had trouble sourceing scale looking spinners etc for my builds in the past. Keep us posted with progress.

Just harking back to the battery discussion, if you don’t want to buy batteries solely for this model, you could always buy a few 2s packs of the same capacity as your 4s ones. You could then use 4+2 in the Spitfire but get further mileage out of the 2s packs on 2+2 formation in your 4s models.

Welcome to the two Trevors.

The model is not a Tony Nijhuis one, rather a RCME plan from Bob Millinship. It would be interesting to see what the TN one weighs and how they differ.

I am not convinced on wedding a 4S to a 2S, has anyone else tried this and was it succesful? It is certainly something I have not done. I have now bought a 6S 4000 mAh battery in any case.

To be honest, l am not too worried about spinner shape, just that there is some sort of spinner on there of about the correct diameter. I have taken the wonky one off and am just about to fit a 90mm one that looks more like a hurricane spinner!

Clive.

Thanks for all your input, I have to say that mixing different batteries in series had not occurred to me at all.

I have other projects that might benefit from this new found knowlege but I have now bought a battery for this one so I plan to use it on this occasion.

Clive.

Hi Clive and all, I may be a bit late but I have a VQ. Hurricane which I originally fitted a RCV 91 cd to despite the engine weighing 27 oz. I had to add a further pound of lead. The performance was marginal, I changed over to an Electroboost 60 with a 5s 5000 battery 15x8 prop the battery is mounted as far forward as I could get it and still it needed 1/2 a pound of lead. It is 63" span and weighs 9 1/2 lb. it has power to spare on take off and fly's at realistic speeds. One thing that may help I have just finished a Hawker Fury biplane and have used the same power set up. I got the parts from Sarik and they included an alloy spinner with a nut for a glow engine which was too small for the electric set up, on the advise of Ron Gray I contacted Just Engines and they made a nut to my specification as it was non standard, ordered on the Tuesday delivered on the Thursday.

Clive

First of all, apologies for my assumption that your Spitfire was the TN one, I think it's about the same size!

My son has sent over a couple of photos of the Flightline Spitfire prop arrangement, which I have inserted below. The threaded part of the adaptor which passes through the prop hub assembly is 8mm in diameter.

Hope this helps.

img-20200630-wa0001.jpg

img-20200630-wa0000.jpg

Hi Eric, thanks for the information, the fact that your hurri flies at that weight with less volts on the same prop I have has given me hope! lol.

Trevor Crook, that is great. I managed to download the FL Spit manual and as well as the bolt holding the prop backplate and the prop cross-holder on the threaded adaptor, this has a keyed, square drive into the backplate. (I know the above sounds gibberish but one look at the manual will clear it up) Now that I have found out it is 8mm, which is the same size as the adaptor I have on My motor, I might consider using the FL spinner as the spinner comes as a kit and seperately you can buy the blades/backplate unit as well for not a great deal of money.

The TN one is the same size and I have the builders log, which helps with some details. I think the TN one was designed with one eye on electifying it, whilst this one is an earlier plan which has all the (heavy) bells and whistles strengthening you would expect a vibration prone IC engine would need.

Clive.

Glad it was useful info. Yes, Tony's designs are primarily for ep. This has a couple of advantages for aircraft like the Spitfire - no sticky-out cylinder head or silencer to hide (and keep cool), and, with the appropriate motor, the ability to swing a scale multiblade prop. Mind you, having looked at a couple of projects from Jon of Laser Engines, he's managed to keep the engine bits almost invisible in a slim nose.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just weighed the airframe and ready to fly she is 7.3 lbs which includes balancing weight but not paint.

I also unintentionally misled you about the whattmeter reading - the readings I posted were with a 15 x 8 prop. I have now fitted a 15x10, so am looking at a bit more power - I shall whattmeter it later.

Things are looking positive!

Clive.

Well I did whattmeter her and now with a 15X10 APC"E" I have 1110W at 46A.

Encouraging. thumbs up

I will have to check my calibration settings between the Tx and the ESC as I found that she will go to half throttle stick or so and then top out - i.e. that is full revs.

I have decided that after system checks etc. I will taxi trial her in an unpainted form, possibly go for a maiden if the conditions allow. It will be interesting to see the weight difference unpainted to painted.

Well, she flies! Thanks to all that contributed. The power system that you helped me choose, based on your experiences, worked a treat, with no hint of underpowering the Spit at all.

There were a couple if things that were off, I had to use an obscene amount of up trim to fly straight and level. Perhaps a bit of down thrust is needed. Also my retract mountings also require a bit of beefing up.

I only flew for a few circuits before a no dramas landing and that took about 16% out of the battery so I do not think the motor is drawing an excessive amount of amps when airborne.

All in all a positive start - now for the small amount of remedial work and painting her.

👍

Clive.