Warbirds replicas Tempest

Graham Davies 3

Sorry guys, I left you with half a story! Here's what happened...

I was following one of the Warbirds Replica build blogs and Richard posted that he had a few Spitfire MKiX kits available. As I've always felt that a chap should own a Jaguar and a Spitfire at least once in his life, I wrote to him and asked him to talk me out of it...

Richard was fantastically helpful and has offered me an 'introduction to warbirds' such that I can ease myself into things without spending ages building a beautiful model that I can't fly. So what I now have in my possession is a basic kit for a foam wing Tempest as Richard's advice is that this will produce the most 'sport model' flying experience and will be a perfect stepping stone to one of the full-fat kits.

I have to say, this is service above and beyond any expectations! I have the full resources of the designer, and all this that have built these fabulous models at my disposal.

If I'm able, I will document the build.

Graham

Well done Graham and well done Richard. I am also on my first warbird kit, albeit a Top Flite one, and have found different ways of building it from that in the instructions. I suspect that comes from having started off with having to build a model as there were no ready made ones in the early 60s, until Keil Kraft introduced their RTF Hurricane control liner. There are still times though where being able to post a video on this forum would be helpful as opposed to sticking in a link to a YouTube site.

The one in the picture was the second design Tempest we sold back in the year 2000 . It was actually quite semi scale but looked the part .
Graham wanted something tough/ light and quick to build so that he could get use to flying warbirds .

The three main hurdles being , No wheels to help orientation, Camo to make it worse , and landing with delicate retracts ,

This model will start as fixed U/C , graduate to "No U/C and then have retracts fitted as its final variant ,

It will be an interesting build and may show us how many people are into Hawkers hot interceptor .

Richard

Lets see how this simplified Tempest thread goes in terms of interest . The recent swing toward electric power makes a close to scale Tempest a very practical proposition . The fact that movable ballast in the form of the battery can be placed well forward and the ability of electric motors to turn four blade props, means that a proper 55" or even 63" Tempest is practical . The layout is great , Wide stance and lots of cooling makes it winning choice .

Posted by Graham Davies 3 on 19/06/2020 09:43:16:

Extra wood is all ordered. I have a day off today so I'm going to clear the workbench and start the dry fit.

Does anyone else get stupidly excited starting a new build?

Graham

Starting a new project is brilliant Graham. The hard part is trying to spread it out and not spend all awake hours in the garage for the first few days!

63" Tempest thumbs up

Whilst I am a total Laser fan and love all things IC I believe that it should be designed around leccy but wouldn't be beyond the skills of us mere mortals to re-jig for IC. At least with leccy you can move the great lump of batteries around to get the C o G.