Warbirds replicas Tempest

Graham Davies 3

Posted by Ron Gray on 14/07/2020 06:35:28:

That is really nice Graham but I don’t think much of the 4 legged U/C, might look better it you remove that blue and white mounting plate.

Well done Graham, great job for a quick build. Not sure about the non scale white external hinges though. He did say it would have a fixed under carriage Ron.

Edited By Eric Robson on 14/07/2020 08:35:53

Thanks again Gents,

I am not normally so prompt; it's really testament to Richard's excellent design. It is genuinely quick to build.

I must admit, the completion has crept up on me! I realised last night just how close it is to being ready to fly. As I pre fitted the control runs and servo mounts when I built the fus, the radio installation is not going to take very long at all. I'm going to replace the non-standard white external hinges with the inferior 'fitted' jobs this week, and sort out the cockpit and exhaust stacks, and we are one evening of radio gear fettling from being ready to fly.

I have a pleasant day booked with my great mate to apply some panel lines and weathering on saturday, and that should be about it!

Graham

Evening all,

Today I had the pleasure of hosting my dearest friend, and over a few cuppas, we put the world to rights. And he added some detail to the Tempest.

So, ESC connectors arrived today, and my left undercarriage leg (Thanks Richard), so once they are fitted, she's ready for maiden. Which means I'll spend 3 evenings double checking everything while I pluck up courage.

Remember, this is Richard's 'entry level to Warbirds' kit. 55" span, less than 5lbs, and around 5 weeks start to finish. So for the time and effort to build a sports model, you get a warbird...

Graham

tempest 180720-1.jpg

tempest 180720-2.jpg

tempest 180720-3.jpg

tempest 180720-4.jpg

tempest 180720-5.jpg

tempest 180720-6.jpg

tempest 180720-7.jpg

MAIDEN!!!

So the Tempest flew today. After a couple of aborted attempts to get it rolling on our rough field without nosing over, she took to the air and apart from a few clicks of down, flew like on rails. Landing was smooth and uneventful. 4 minutes and I still had 60% capacity remaining.

Second flight was nearly as good had I not nosed it on landing. No major damage though, so a successful evening.

I have just noticed the dates on my photos; I took the first picture the day I started the build on 22nd June. That's a month, start to finish.

Warbird convert here...

Graham

Before:

tempest 210720-1.jpg

After:

tempest 210720-2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi DM,

The panel lines were simply masked and then lightly sprayed using an airbrush. Once the line was painted, the masking was removed from the 'downwind' side and a light spray was applied from just upwind of the line.

He also applied some silver paint to leading edge areas to represent where paint was worn back to metal. I think the key was that he didn't try to do too much, so it looks credible.

I will pass on your kind comments and he'll become even more unbearable!

Graham

If anyone wants to try playing with the effect , a simple way to start , is simply add masking tape to the forward side of the line and then rub artist charcoal or even teachers chalk onto the TAPE., once is is good and black with dusk , make a circular motion with the pad of your finger tip gradually fanning onto the blue .

Quite addictive !

• 1 year later...