Seagull Challenger - First kit Build - First IC

Hi all,

After recently getting back into the hobby with a second electric foam trainer ive also decided to build my first kit IC plane.

Been wanting to do this for years but always been too busy with work however doctor has ordered to take it easy for the next few months after recovering from illness so finally can enjoy the hobby again!

this is a bit of A challenge as i really am starting from scratch, i dont even have a roll of masking tape and i live in a flat (but i do have a patio for dusty jobs). ive seen a nice set-by-step on youtube with mojo but im sure i'll need some help with IC engines ect.

going to order some basics today. CA , sanding blocks , build board etc.

Unboxing.jpg

contents.jpg

Thanks David, good to hear that.

i was originally planning on buying a spitfire kit but was advised to fly a few more planes first and after flying the spitfire in the sim i realised why. Sounds like this will be a good first low wing to try.

These are great and i really enjoy mine. If i had to give any advice it would be not to over power it.

I know most will slap a 46 or 53 2 stroke in there but i honestly would go for smaller as its not a big model.

Mine is perfectly happy on a 40 4 stroke so a decent 36 2 stroke would be more than enough. The smaller/lighter engine will also be an advantage. As your aspirations are towards scale learning to fly/aerobat a model that cannot fly just on propeller thrust will also be an advantage as, like a warbird, it needs a little more care/planing before starting a manoeuvre as you need to preserve your momentum. If you watch a full size warbird display they usually zoom in fast, do a big loops etc, and then by the end of the display they are down to flat passes and low rolls as the energy has slowly bled off and you dont run Merlin's flat out these days!

As a side note and looking ahead, which spitfire kit were you think of?

Ordered some tools/consumables to get me started. Managed to find most of the bits from SMC online which was great. Should be enough to get me started, found a nice piece of flat wood which should hopefully do as a build board.

Ordered:

3in set square

cutting matt

permagrit sanding block (560mm)

30cm ruler

pva glue - deluxe speedbond

CA - zap thin

CA - zap medium

Epoxy - gorilla

Filler - model lite

hobby knife set

mixing pot with spatulas

latex gloves

clingfilm

wooden clothes pegs

rubber bands

Will need to do a bit more research before buying any hardware (and wait for next months plane budget).

If anyone has any recommended setup for the electronics and motor in the meantime that would be great?

Thanks Jon, that makes sense. im not too fussed about speed and power more interested in getting a good setup for flying and learning the ropes of an IC safely.

i was looking at the 46” Spitfire Mk IX by Tony Nijhuis. i love the spitfire elliptic wings and fuselage fillet but probably the build and flying would have been a but of a mess for a first low wing. probably wont be long until i have one though smiley

46” Spitfire Mk IX

"Gsky" if it is your first balsa built, please, be careful with the building instructions related to glueing formers to fuselage sides. If I remember correctly photos show all formers glued to one fuselage side and then glueing second side and going for the rear fuselage taper.

That´s totally wrong! You will have to glue only same width fuselage formers (from bulkhead to just rear of the wing) first and then glue together fuselage side ends and go inserting rear bulkheads while keeping fuselage taper symmetrical.

If you go as described in the manual you will end with a beautiful banana shape fuselage!

Aside from this I do not know of any other important error and if you build it carefully you will be regarded with a very fine flying model. Best luck with the building.

Edited By Jesus Cardin on 23/06/2020 14:58:55

Thanks for the tip Jesus, I’ve heard there are a few mistakes/omissions in the instructions. I’ll try and have a good read of them and watch mojos videos while waiting for supplies.

Edited By Gsky on 23/06/2020 15:29:32

Posted by Gsky on 23/06/2020 14:46:41:

Thanks Jon, that makes sense. im not too fussed about speed and power more interested in getting a good setup for flying and learning the ropes of an IC safely.

i was looking at the 46” Spitfire Mk IX by Tony Nijhuis. i love the spitfire elliptic wings and fuselage fillet but probably the build and flying would have been a but of a mess for a first low wing. probably wont be long until i have one though smiley

46” Spitfire Mk IX

If you want to use one of the TN designs i would recommend the 62 inch version instead. Its not much more expensive but its likely to work better with more room for retracts etc. You get full house of radio and not just 3 channels like you do on the little one.

If you want a small model like the one you listed then there are alternatives like the cambrian funfighter series. These have been around for yonks and are much cheaper. **LINK**

If you think you want to go bigger than a 3 channel hand launch model but not as big at the 62 inch TN spitfire then cambrian have you covered with a 55 inch offering **LINK**

And as a final option, Richard Wills from the forum here also does a 55 inch spitfire kit although im not sure about availability, i will point him at the thread and he can comment himself on that.

Hi Gary. Good choice lovely model. Yes that kit is an enigma but good nonetheless. Flys well too. Mine is electric about 650 watts. I would not want any more power. The manual was written as if about Four pages are missing the start and end is almost too detailed but they forgot about the fuselage. Never mind there is a series of videos on you tube which are excellent. To be honest I would have needed to have built three models to make those vids. I did make a cock up and forgot a sheet inside( cannot rememver might have been the fus floor. Bit of surgery sorted that Anyway watch the vids it’s a Lovely model

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 23/06/2020 15:39:37:
Posted by Gsky on 23/06/2020 14:46:41:

46” Spitfire Mk IX

If you want to use one of the TN designs i would recommend the 62 inch version instead. Its not much more expensive but its likely to work better with more room for retracts etc. You get full house of radio and not just 3 channels like you do on the little one.

If you want a small model like the one you listed then there are alternatives like the cambrian funfighter series. These have been around for yonks and are much cheaper. **LINK**

If you think you want to go bigger than a 3 channel hand launch model but not as big at the 62 inch TN spitfire then cambrian have you covered with a 55 inch offering **LINK**

And as a final option, Richard Wills from the forum here also does a 55 inch spitfire kit although im not sure about availability, i will point him at the thread and he can comment himself on that.

Now thinking about it a 62" could be possible, was initially worried about storage but found a way to mount them on the wall without upsetting my better half. i guess it should be easier to fly with better visibility too.

Thanks Gangster & David, looks like the one, i found you can get a digital copy of back issues online.

rcmande-magazine-april-2015-cover.jpg

Hogster, great picture, hopefully i can get my covering to look like those too. The youtube videos tutorials are one of the reasons i bought this kit.

Mike, good to hear you got it up and flying again.

Edited By Gsky on 23/06/2020 23:30:03

Yep, bigger models fly better in most cases. Its why i dont really fly any warbirds under 70 inch with most around 80-90. They just work better.

At 62 inch and 8-9lbs a decent 70 or an 80 would be plenty of power. My 62 inch 9.5lb Hurricane has plenty of power on an 80 4 stroke

dsc09542.jpg

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 24/06/2020 08:22:23:

Yep, bigger models fly better in most cases. Its why i dont really fly any warbirds under 70 inch with most around 80-90. They just work better.

At 62 inch and 8-9lbs a decent 70 or an 80 would be plenty of power. My 62 inch 9.5lb Hurricane has plenty of power on an 80 4 stroke

dsc09542.jpg

if this build goes well i think i already know what im getting next smiley

Made a start by dry fitting the wings, thank god i dont have any CA yet as i probably would have bonded the ribs upside down. All parts look intact so far out the box, a bit of sanding on the LE spar ends and all slots together.

Some of the ply wood is a bit bowed which means it doesn't go together as nicely as the videos from Mojo (he makes it look very easy). Starting to think i will need to invest in a build board and pins.

right wing.jpg

lhs&rhswing.jpg

bowed ply.jpg

You don't have to break the bank mate, a flat surface onto which you put a sheet of 1/2" plaster board (to take the pins ) and you're away. Needs to be flat and level tho. Don't forget to put clear plastic over your plan to save it from sticking to your airframe..

Also, just wet your warpy plywood parts and pin them flat on your board and let them dry overnight, they will be cured.

All the best....

D.D.

Posted by Gsky on 23/06/2020 15:29:03:

Thanks for the tip Jesus, I’ve heard there are a few mistakes/omissions in the instructions. I’ll try and have a good read of them and watch mojos videos while waiting for supplies.

Edited By Gsky on 23/06/2020 15:29:32

Yes. You should definitely take note of Jesus' comment and a few other things too, such as the poor instructions.

Basically the plane is designed as an ARTF and Seagull, for some weird reason known only to themselves, decided to not glue the parts together and sell some of them as kits.

But ARTFs are not designed as 'home build' kits The parts have been designed to be cut out by an infinitely patient computer so complicated shapes do not matter, and have a lot of 'keyed' parts so they can to be put together under initial close supervision until the totally disinterested person doing it has become sufficiently 'robotic' to do it by him or her self hundreds of times over with no thought whatsoever.

Written instructions were not required so are just an afterthought and the fuselage (and probably the wing too) will have been designed to be assembled on a jig to avoid banana shaped fuselages and warped wings. You don't have any of that jig stuff.

PS: The difficulty of flying  a model Spitfire is much exaggerated.  The problem for a beginner is they don't have a straight line anywhere so building it involves a lot of carving and trying to get balsawood to bend in two different ways at  once, so it's all very time consuming.  But you won't have any problem with the actual flying once you've flown the Challenger for a while.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 26/06/2020 07:09:15