Seagull Challenger - First kit Build - First IC

The thing I remember about the fuselage repair is that the horizontal tray that supports the fuel tank etc must be introduced prior to the fixing of both the fuselage sides. Could that relate to the gluing of the formers on one side first? I worked without instructions or jig as the plane I repaired was a ready made.

p5310009.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 27/06/2020 11:05:04

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 27/06/2020 11:07:20

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 27/06/2020 11:02:58:

The thing I remember about the fuselage repair is that the horizontal tray that supports the fuel tank etc must be introduced prior to the fixing of both the fuselage sides. Could that relate to the gluing of the formers on one side first? I worked without instructions or jig as the plane I repaired was a ready made.

p5310009.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 27/06/2020 11:05:04

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 27/06/2020 11:07:20

"Could that relate....."

No.

Yes the kit comes with some square bar to jig the fuselage, i also picked up some 1/2" plasterboard and t pins to help with the rest of the build.

In terms of power ive seen some used OS max 40 FP 2 stroke engines which shouldn't break the bank and are already run in which is a plus.

fuselage_jig.jpg

build_board&pins.jpg

Posted by Caveman on 28/06/2020 10:22:32:

Hi Gsky, do you gave a copy of the April 2015 article of the Challenger build?

If not it's well worth reading. I can scan the article for you if you would like it.

GDB

Hi caveman that would be great if you could! Been trying to find a used hard copy but had no luck so far

Parts arrived yesterday so made a start on the build.

After a bit of a fight i got the LHS wing bonded together (inc. clingfilm across the whole bottom side). Really glad i got a build board as i couldnt get rid of the bow for the ply. Once tacked together managed to use the pins to square everything up before bonding it all and looks to have come out square. Now ready for sheeting.

Bought some Etronix servos from my local shop to make a start on the electronics.

Also ordered a used 2-stroke OS max 40FP to power the model, which isnt too powerful but should be reliable from what ive read. Would have preferred a model with the main adjuster needle further rearwards to avoid finger nips but i'll just have to be careful!

lhs on board.jpg

bonded_wing_pre-sheeting.jpg

fp40.jpg

etronix_servos_1.jpg

Posted by Nigel R on 02/07/2020 14:45:53:

40FP is a great first engine.

Little to go wrong, reliable runner, easy to start, economical, came with a sensible silencer.

There's two fitted to the twin in my avatar, so you can assume I like them.

They also have an unmistakable chortle to their exhaust note at part throttle. Ahh the memories.

Jon/Nigel, great to hear the FP is a good choice. Looking forward to see what condition its in.

Mike, great to see it flying again and nice video.

Made a bit more progress today. Bonded the sheeting on the LHS wing, use medium CA and added filler to the laser cut numbers and some of the gaps. Missed a bit of sanding on the LE spar so the bottom sheeting sits a bit proud at the root but hopefully i can sand that out later.

lhs sheeting and filler.jpg le close up.jpg

Done a bit more on the wing this week bonded on the underside sheeting and a bit more filling.

The engine has arrived! doesnt look too bad, looking forward to hearing it run. will have a quick read what glow plug and fuel to order, might put together an engine stand to fire it up.

os_all.jpg

os_carb.jpg

os_side.jpg

os_weight.jpg

Those little engines are pretty frugal.

Im a fan of the OS 8 glow plug myself and use them for anything that is not 4 stroke.

I would upgrade slightly on the fuel though. Nothing wrong with Nigel's suggestion, just this stuff has a few additives in it and my 15FP lapped it up and screamed for more!

**LINK**

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the recommendations. fuel, plugs and 11x5 prop have arrived, even treated myself to a tachometer. looking forward to hearing it run now.

With the sun coming out i managed to make some more progress on the wing. All sheets bonded and sanded the LE profile and rest of the wing. found some "flat" spots mid span so had a go at filling the low spots. tried using a long piece of cardboard to help filler the low spots but was a bit of a mess, lesson learned.

Happy with the LE profile needs a small final fill and rub but pretty much there, managed to add a "flat" on the OB tip rib. might try to build it back up but not sure how yet.

Quick dry fit of the aileron hinges and onto the RHS wing.

LE filler.jpg

end rib & wing tube.jpg

img_4755.jpg

img_4764.jpg

img_4769.jpg

img_4770.jpg

• 6 months later...

depending on the condition of your field you might want to leave them off. Long grass and mud do not play well with spats and they often end up ripping off or otherwise getting in the way. If you want to use them thats fine but it looks like seagull have left you to figure out mounting them on your own. Does the manual say anything useful?

a few of the guys at the field have models with spats so hopefully would get away with it. Nothing in the manual but I’ve found there is a crosssection in the plans that show the arrangement.

The drawing doesn’t look right so I’m going to try cutting the axle and if not I’ll just put a long M4 bolt and open up the wheels to suit.

8FA8192B-0085-423A-85F5-AFB463D8EFF2.jpeg

• Like 1