Receivers

Ashley Hunt

Having just bought a second hand DX8 Transmitter I need to get a couple of 6 channel receivers. Looking around on the internet the most common one seems to be the AR620 but I’ve also seen a few ads for the AR6210 which is about half the price. Does anyone have any views on Spectrum receivers ?

thanks

Ashley

Any a6210 being sold now are fake, as stated.

The Ar620 is well liked .

I read that the ar620 has not yet been cloned. This is what I would get by choice. Most of my models have the predecessor ar610.

If I have a bigger or more fancy model then I would go for the ar6600 or its 8 channel equivalent.

If you want a cheaper rx for use on a foamie then orange from hobbyking have been reliable for me.

Thanks for all those replies and it certainly makes sense. I couldn’t understand why a new discontinued receiver was being offered at such a reasonable price, obvious really when I read what you were all saying. I’ll follow your advice and get an AR620 from one of the better known suppliers.

Thanks again.

Ashley

Just bought a couple of Spektrum AR410 4 channel sport receivers , the ones with no external aerials and a bind button insead of a bind plug. Range testing compared with lemon with satellite, and two aerial orange the Spektrums had 3 times the range, so i agree with the previous post , use original Spektrum for heavy models and others for foamies flown close

Posted by Ashley Hunt on 03/07/2020 19:25:28:

Thanks for all those replies and it certainly makes sense. I couldn’t understand why a new discontinued receiver was being offered at such a reasonable price, obvious really when I read what you were all saying. I’ll follow your advice and get an AR620 from one of the better known suppliers.

Thanks again.

Ashley

If in ANY doubt at all just buy from a well-known Spektrum supplier, as you say.

In the UK, Also ideally with a 'brick and mortar' shop, or at a minimum, with both a real UK physical address and a real UK landline phone number shown on their web page (just phone it as a test and see what happens. If it's not answered, doesn't ring, or you are in any way suspicious just ring off).

Model planes are not an exercise in money saving. And unlike a TV or stereo they don't just stop if something ceases to work

I've recently installed a few AR620s in models though IIRC only one of them has flown so far. The reports were good and, as mentioned above, they are a bit less likely to be cloned and provided you buy them from a reputable source you should be fine. I like them because they have a bind button, rather than that ridiculous and fiddly bind plug and they have no external antennae. That makes them ideal for my funfighter and smaller sized models.

I have a DX8 gen 1 (using both DSM2 and DSMX) plus a DX8 gen 2 (DSMX only) with a mix of old and new DSMX RX's.

Only issue I have had is with a AR620 in a 180 FS Yak where everything checked out and never had an issue flying it, but got a lot of fades (on the high end of the Spektrum guidance). The RX sat on the carbon wing tube and had a aluminium engine up front so no real surprise really. I swapped it for a DSMX RX with satellite and its not been a problem.

IMHO the cost of an RX compared with crashing you model or worse causing an injury does not warrant saving a few pounds.

Ashley, my experience of using Orange receivers with my DX9 transmitter is the exact opposite of Broken English's. The last three models I have lost have all been fitted with Orange receivers.

I have fitted one of the new AR410 four-channel receivers to both my Big Guff, an early American vintage model with an eight-foot wingspan which took me 14 months to build, and to my venerable BE2e scale WW1 biplane which has a seven-foot wingspan and which would be heart-breaking to have to repair in the event of receiver failure. Both have performed faultlessly.

I intend to fit an AR620 to an ARTF Acrowot and to a DB Sport and Scale Auster which I have nearly finished building.

As the price of the AR410 is only £24.75 and the price of an AR620 is only £33.50, (Steve Webb prices,) I see no point in fitting anything other than these receivers to everyday sport models.

maiden flight.jpg

be 2 lampshade (small).jpg

Posted by brokenenglish on 03/07/2020 19:27:45:

For the last 8 years, I've been using Spektrum Tx with Orange receivers from HK Europe. Many, many flying hours and I've never had any problem whatsoever.

I can second that. I have half a dozen Orange R620x receivers with good range and no problems. Have seen crashes at the club with members flying Spectrum receivers blaming loss of signal.

Posted by Michael Barclay on 04/07/2020 08:28:42:

For the last 8 years, I've been using Spektrum Tx with Orange receivers from HK Europe. Many, many flying hours and I've never had any problem whatsoever.

I can second that. I have half a dozen Orange R620x receivers with good range and no problems. Have seen crashes at the club with members flying Spectrum receivers blaming loss of signal.

We can only speak from our own experiences.

I lost signal while using Orange receivers resulting in the loss of my SLEC Fun Fly and a Seagull Boomerang ARTF trainer. From memory the Orange receiver had only one antenna. Perhps the had something to do with it. In the case of the Fun Fly I had witnesses observe the engine cutting out and then my total lack of control as the model crashed to the ground. That said, both models had had several previous flights without incident.

In the third case I had taken a Spektrum receiver out of my ancient and much-repaired Junior 60 and replaced it with an Orange receiver. I had arranged to hand over the model to a novice pilot that same day. We had an apparent glitch on the first flight and on the second all signal was lost and we watched the model glide free flight into a wheat field. Despite it being covered overall in orange Solartex we could not find it. I expect I'll get it back once it's been through the front end of a combine harvester! Perhaps after over thirty years of ownership it objected to being given to a new owner!

I am happy with the performance of my AR410s and given the very reasonable price can see no reason to use anything else.

Posted by David Davis on 04/07/2020 09:19:11:
Posted by Michael Barclay on 04/07/2020 08:28:42:

We can only speak from our own experiences.

I lost signal while using Orange receivers resulting in the loss of my SLEC Fun Fly and a Seagull Boomerang ARTF trainer. From memory the Orange receiver had only one antenna. Perhps the had something to do with it. In the case of the Fun Fly I had witnesses observe the engine cutting out and then my total lack of control as the model crashed to the ground. That said, both models had had several previous flights without incident.

In the third case I had taken a Spektrum receiver out of my ancient and much-repaired Junior 60 and replaced it with an Orange receiver. I had arranged to hand over the model to a novice pilot that same day. We had an apparent glitch on the first flight and on the second all signal was lost and we watched the model glide free flight into a wheat field. Despite it being covered overall in orange Solartex we could not find it. I expect I'll get it back once it's been through the front end of a combine harvester! Perhaps after over thirty years of ownership it objected to being given to a new owner!

I am happy with the performance of my AR410s and given the very reasonable price can see no reason to use anything else.

It would be interesting to know which Orange rx you were using. I think some people had trouble with the 610 but the 620x has a very good reputation. Nice thing about Hobby King is you can view hundreds of reviews and if something is unreliable you will soon find out.

Posted by Michael Barclay on 04/07/2020 10:03:20:

It would be interesting to know which Orange rx you were using. I think some people had trouble with the 610 but the 620x has a very good reputation. Nice thing about Hobby King is you can view hundreds of reviews and if something is unreliable you will soon find out.

I can't be sure which receivers I was using in the models which crashed but I use an electric foamy trainer called a "We Can Fly" as a basic trainer for beginners.

we can fly.jpg

I was given a damaged We Can Fly by a clubmate which I restored to flying condition. I've given it to the chap who was supposed get the Junior 60. It is fitted with an Orange 615X receiver. He crashed it on take off owing to inexperience nothing to do with the receiver. I've just repaired it again because perhaps I was expecting a bit much of a trainee to be able to manage a take off in a bit of a breeze.

I have another Orange 615 X which I'm going to give away.

That was a lot more replies than I was expecting, so thanks to everyone. My original query regarding the cheaper price of the AR6210 has been very logically explained but on a general level it sounds like there’s quite a lot of support for the Orange receivers. I guess it’s a case of experience and personal choice. I’ll probably go with Spectrum and the AR620.

Posted by Steve J on 04/07/2020 12:06:56:
Posted by David Davis on 04/07/2020 07:17:23:

... I have fitted one of the new AR410 four-channel receivers to both my Big Guff ... and to my venerable BE2e scale WW1 biplane ...

How many frame losses are you seeing?

Frame losses? I don't know what they are and wouldn't know where to begin looking for them! laugh