Laser Engines development.

Jon H

2 hours ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

I'm pretty certain this thread violates the forum terms and conditions for advertising a business one is involved with. 

Maybe, but dont worry i will soon be stocking a special product just for you. 

Rempro_Salt_Neutraliser_1ltr_Front_New-1

Alright, I concede that "advertising" is the wrong word. Perhaps "promoting" is more accurate in terms of raising awareness of goods and services provided is more accurate. 

I never asked for the thread read to be locked or deleted, I just voiced my (clearly unpopular) opinion based upon my interpretation of the CoC. An opinion? On a forum? Good heavens!

4 hours ago, Lima Hotel Foxtrot said:

Alright, I concede that "advertising" is the wrong word. Perhaps "promoting" is more accurate in terms of raising awareness of goods and services provided is more accurate. 

I never asked for the thread read to be locked or deleted, I just voiced my (clearly unpopular) opinion based upon my interpretation of the CoC. An opinion? On a forum? Good heavens!

Sorry about this...

You are entitle to your opinions, but if this were to upset Jon such that he decided (understandably) not to share his invaluable insight, I'm afraid we would all miss his opinions more than yours. Sometimes, silence is the best option...

• Like 1

LFH, if you study the quote you made of my first post you will observe that the first line from that post mentions that the mods recommended i start a new thread. Now, how could that have happened if i had not been in communication with them behind the scenes to make sure everything was above board?

I dont have some get out of jail free card on here. In fact, i am summoned to the head masters office on a regular basis. 

Also, mods post here...its also over a year old now, its not like the thread went under the radar. What exactly were you trying to do? 

Anyway, i am done with this. Thanks to all those who posted in support. 

If Jon, as the OP were to request such action on particular OT comments then it would be considered but one person's OT is another's interesting diversion.  While we will take swift action against bad language and potentially libellous comments when we are aware of them we have to be conscious of over-zealous censorship.

Let's get back to discussing Laser engines and closely related subjects.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

,,,which reminds me - what happened to the idea of a reduction drive Jon?  Is it still under consideration?

two prototypes have been built and tested with limited success. Round 3 is due for testing soon. 

On thread cleanliness, any non engine related chat can probably be removed. 

Ok so...um i was left unattended for a while and was a bit naughty. 

Using nothing but a hacksaw, a pile of existing parts from the scrap bin, and a variety of dead engines that were loafing around with organ donor cards, i knocked this up in less than half a day (can ya tell?!). Its a hideous heap, the cam timing is not perfect, and the crankcase has hole (or 3) in it, but it did what i wanted and proved the concept. 

Single throw crank, vibration seems to be no problem at all. 

So. If i dont get fired first thing tomorrow morning and can convince the boss, would anyone actually be interested in buying one? Crankcases are due for manufacture in a few weeks and i might be able to get some specials done while the tooling is in there. 

Engine width of 200mm for the 200, 186mm for a 160. For reference an ASP/OS 160 twin is 196mm wide. 

There is no obligation at all for anyone who expressed interest in a flat twin before to buy anything and this is not a sales pitch. I built this to satisfy my own curiosity and see if such an engine was viable. If you think it is for you then let me know and i will see what i can do. If not, i am more than satisfied with what i have been able to cobble together. 

• Like 9

While I'm not in the market for a new engine at the moment, this seems ideal for any model using a flat 4/6 on the full size - and really fills both a gap in the range - and (looking at some of Ted's pictures above) a gap in the cowl...

To be honest, from what's visible and a few more screws, with a little thinking on the silencers, it looks like the real deal!

that cover plate was only there to stop oil spraying out of the hole in the crankcase. I was curious though so ran it without it. Watching the crank fly round was very exciting! ? I have a video but you cant see much. Just a blur of conrods.

Exhausts, yep not ideal but all i had on hand. I have another design in mind but its not been made yet. 

Fuel pipe, its that long so it reaches the front cylinder on the inline twins when i test them. My bench is multi talented. 

Needles can only be arranged as they are as they foul the exhaust the other way. Not sure why you would want them pointing down anyway as they do not poke out much above the engine and you would need a very long extension to access them from under the model. 

2 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

So. If i dont get fired first thing tomorrow morning and can convince the boss, would anyone actually be interested in buying one? Crankcases are due for manufacture in a few weeks and i might be able to get some specials done while the tooling is in there. 

Engine width of 200mm for the 200, 186mm for a 160. For reference an ASP/OS 160 twin is 196mm wide. 

There is no obligation at all for anyone who expressed interest in a flat twin before to buy anything and this is not a sales pitch. I built this to satisfy my own curiosity and see if such an engine was viable. If you think it is for you then let me know and i will see what i can do. If not, i am more than satisfied with what i have been able to cobble together. 

Awesome!!!  I would be interested in a 200.

Edited by thebluemax
  • Like 1