Laser Engines development.

Jon H

Manish - 18x8 classic master airscrew @7500rpm

Don - OS and saito come through various distributors and travel half way round the world. Shipping costs and the margins of distributors contribute to their price. In the past the 3 brands hovered around the same sort of price bracket but in recent years OS prices especially have skyrocketed with their 70 now costing more than our 180 by a substantial margin. We can either put prices up to match the market, or price our products as honestly as we can. with the demise of ASP etc leaving 4 stroke engines out of reach financially is not something i am a fan of. Yes businesses have to make money, but i dont feel its right to gouge customers just because the market will allow it. Sure some can afford it with a smile, but if i was to earn my laser wages elsewhere and have to buy the engines i would struggle to own more than a few even as it is.

Nick - Yea sorry, your reaction is not unlike that of my boss. Take your eye off the ball for a minute and i am up to something. If you are interested give me a shout in the morning and i will get your details. 

Although we are getting ahead of ourselves those interested in the engine and already on the list are welcome to them, but i would ask that if possible you can get them in the air ASAP. While i do not expect any problems with them as all of the components are standard but with different arrangement, i would appreciate operating feedback so i can feed that information back to other customers. 

There is another thing about the FT that will be music to the ears...you dont need to lower the fuel tank. Sit it directly behind the engine as most ARTF models have it set already. Just bolt it in and go. 

I just had a look around and im in shock. 

OS56? £370. A 120? £580 down from an RRP of 620. That is horrifying and worse than i remember when i checked a little while back. 

There is nothing the shops can do and frankly i feel for them. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

4 minutes ago, Martin Arnold 1 said:

But why have the OS four strokes become so expensive even compared to say a Saito 82 (better motor anyway in my opinion) at around £250.

It was not that many years ago that Saitos were more expensive that OS.... What's going on ??

Not sure. My assumption would be OS has high overhead so cannot easily accept a drop in sales? Price rises would be a result but to be honest i am guessing. 

If we want to chew the fat on this for a while longer could we start a new thread? Don's question was fair enough but i dont want to be speculating about it all week ? 

6 hours ago, Nigel R said:

Just a note. 

Current listed Price for os72 from rcjapan is £245. Not sure if that includes tax. 

Compare / contrast with UK retailers,  around £420.

Nigel, assuming it does not include tax, please factor in shipping and taxes and profit margin when a retailer offers it to the market. 

Even for an individual purchase, shipping and custom duties will need to be added. 

Fired up the beast again and have some figures. 

APC 17x8 - 8700rpm

Master classic 18x8 - 7600rpm

APC 20x8 - 6800rpm. 

Pretty happy with this. The classic master performs very poorly, but the other two are running well and are in line with the other 200's we offer. 

Also, i know its glow supported but the idle is just silly. I am also quite enjoying using the holes for inspecting the parts. Very handy. You can even see the cams in the back ?

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Like 3

I realise that, but there are no adaptors these days in the Laser accessory list which might point to the popularity or lack of it for such a solution.  I was thinking more of a manufacturer's solution, suitable for, say, a rotary, radial or flat-four installation.  Horizontal muffler boxes with downward-oriented pipes facing aft alongside the mounting pillars might be one solution.  But a bit advanced for those without production facilities.

Very neat Martin . I also made an installation on my laser 200v a year ago using SS conduit piping and concentrical sized K&S tubes as end adaptors.

The two pipes were clamped to the firewall using thin aluminium straps with high temperature silicone inside to allowing slight movement of the pipe as the engine cycles in order to prevent future pipe cracks.

Cans were not used as my site is not noise sensitive and the relatively small diameter and length of the pipe prevents the sound being too loud 

06517908-F1F4-486D-8190-833001222554.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Manish Chandrayan said:

Nigel, assuming it does not include tax, please factor in shipping and taxes and profit margin when a retailer offers it to the market. 

Even for an individual purchase, shipping and custom duties will need to be added. 

Manish that is the retailers price. Their post is usually £10 or thereabouts, admittedly might be more for a complete motor.  Tax would be £50 or thereabouts? Overall about £300?

Would i be correct in thinking ripmax set the UK prices?

Mods, apologies if going a bit OT.

• 3 weeks later...

Now look here this sort of out of the box tinkering is going to raise peoples blood pressure to bursting point and just where do you think this will end up?

The Laser Appreciation Society members will be left destitute and deranged by the number of possible configurations as first it was simple choice of single or V, then came along the inline twins. And now a boxer version...this is the slippery road to a radial Laser if you ask me.

PS - Great bit of work Jon and we all appreciate your skill and perseverance with engine design and support.