Laser Engines development.

Jon H

Posted by paul d on 09/07/2020 09:19:10:

Just my thoughts but if your going down the route of adding a reduction gearbox then why not go the whole way and develop a engine that's "A true 4 stroke" with in sump lubrication? if nothing else it'll put a end to the how much oil is to much debate.

The gearbox idea is a great one btw, surprised it's not a common feature on larger engines ( of any brand).

Edited By paul d on 09/07/2020 09:36:41

I dont want this to turn into another what if thread but wet sump is a non starter as we sometimes install our engines the wrong way up so its really not going to work.

As already stated, this is not a speculation thread. The gearbox is just an idea at this stage and the overall configuration of the other engines is already set.

Its a bit like this. You have visited a restaurant and on the menu is chicken, fish and beef. Those are the choices available but there is a survey in the back of the menu asking if you would like to see lasagne next time you visit with a yes or no box by the side of it. That is where we are at with this. petrol chicken, 25-30cc multi fish, 50+cc multi beef. Gearbox, lasagne.

The create your own buffet is closed and the chef will not be best pleased with you if you ask for more salt in his other finished dishes smile p

Chaps, please can we try & stick to the topic under discussion here.

This thread is for discussion of the new Laser multi cylinder engines, the testing there-of & the interest level in a reduction gearbox. Posts on producing smaller Laser engines & the new low oil fuel, whilst interesting in their own right, are not the subject of this particular thread & simply serve to dilute the topic under discussion....

Many thanks for your co-operation....thumbs up

If you are going to send an engine to Canada then I suppose that I could volunteer for a 30cc petrol and you could send it to France. I could bolt it to my WOT 4 XL which is currently fitted with one of your old Laser 150 V twins but if the engines have to be fully cowled, that leaves me out.

first run up in years (9).jpg

Michael, i didnt think i needed one. Check your message inbox instead?

DD, i have flown the 180 petrol on the W4XL before and its fine but a bit heavy.

In fact, more clarification is needed here.

180 petrol, fit to to whatever you like. Make it pretty, do all the things your normally would.

New engines (all), find a fence post or similar. Nail engine to end of fence post, add a plank to the top (aerofoil section optional but recommended) and sprinkle with radio gear. Stick a cowl of some sort (gallon bucket??) on the front..fly. Keep flying until something breaks.

Prizes on offer for the ugliest and most agricultural looking test plank.

Posted by John Stainforth on 09/07/2020 13:54:06:

Thanks for opening my eyes, Jon. I now see there are model aircraft all around my house and garden just dying to get airborne. The only thing I am a bit short of, at the moment, is nails.

I recommend the type that bend over half inch before being fully home and are then beaten flat yes

Small update on proceedings.

Petrol crankshafts have gone to be hardened and will be back...sometime. In the meanwhile i will be getting the rest of the engine on the move pending their return and manufacture of a few other parts.

The first new 160 (25cc) multi was assembled and test run today. Very much an ugly duckling at the moment due to its prototype nature but it ran very well so i hope to tart it up a bit and build some more. It also bodes well for the 30cc version of the same engine. I will probably test fly it myself quite soon and see how we go.

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 14/07/2020 19:58:20:

Small update on proceedings.

The first new 160 (25cc) multi was assembled and test run today. Very much an ugly duckling at the moment due to its prototype nature but it ran very well so i hope to tart it up a bit and build some more. It also bodes well for the 30cc version of the same engine. I will probably test fly it myself quite soon and see how we go.

We will definitely need a video with sound!

Posted by Ted Khinsoe on 15/07/2020 15:33:36:

Jon

happy to beta test either petrol or glow if you’re ok with sending down under. Wot 4XL and 1/4 scale Citabria pro both available as test beds.

ted

Im ok with sending it as long as you are ok with sending it back! In fairness its very unlikely, but in the event of major drama it might need to come home.

As for show and tell..not yet. I would, but there are reasons i cant so just give me a little while longer. All will become clear.

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 15/07/2020 17:08:25:
Posted by Ted Khinsoe on 15/07/2020 15:33:36:

Jon

happy to beta test either petrol or glow if you’re ok with sending down under. Wot 4XL and 1/4 scale Citabria pro both available as test beds.

ted

Im ok with sending it as long as you are ok with sending it back! In fairness its very unlikely, but in the event of major drama it might need to come home.

Jon

No problem with sending back if needed.

ted

Posted by chris larkins on 14/07/2020 20:43:55:

Put me down for a 30cc petrol, I live local (Luton) and have a Seagull Edge 540 that is currently fitted with a cheap and not very powerful or reliable 35cc petrol 2 stroke. A 30cc Laser petrol would go lovely in there and sound so much nicer.

I could also test it in a Hangar 9 Taylorcraft which has a noisy Zenoah 26cc petrol fitted

• 3 weeks later...

Cant say yet but can explain why.

Today i was visited by Moderator Steve to take some photos and get some info on all the goings on at Laser in preparation for a write up in RCME. Clearly, it would not be very fair to spill all the beans on here as it would damage their article.

Also, i am not ready to spill the beans anyway but should be by the time the piece in the mag goes live.

Clever eh?