Junior 60 Kitset

The main differences are:

1. I think the Flair kit is no longer available.

2. Both kits are excellent but they are not for the same model.
The BB kit is for the first J60 version (1946)
but the Flair kit is basically the later 1955 version, with a few very minor modifications.

The bottom line is that the BB kit is inherently lighter, but the Flair kit, if you can find one, is an improved design.
They"re both good, but the result will only be a good as you build it...

Hello Hayden

In response to your post ; I have almost completed the 'Electric Version' of a Ben Buckle J60 kit purchased a few weeks ago. My experience so far has been satisfactory, the kit quality overall is very good and there are clear instructions and plans provided. You must be prepared to improvise with the building process as it is not a laser cut 'fall into place' kit. I enjoy building either from this type of kit or from a plan so it has suited me well.

I have messaged you in more detail. There is a wealth of help and information on this forum as the model has been flying for a very long time. Suggest searching using Junior 60 as the keyword?

Good luck

SW

Posted by Hayden Brown on 06/07/2020 23:29:58:

I would like to know the better kitset to purchase for the Junior 60 electric version.

There seems to be various comments on either Ben Buckle, Flair etc but is one much better than the other?

Hayden

Edited By Hayden Brown on 06/07/2020 23:42:26

The Ben Buckle one is the only kit still around, but ir's simple to make from a plan.

You don't need the  special 'electric' version if you can't find it though BB do both. Just leave the IC engine mounting beams in place and modify the ply plate to suit.

It has a very short nose. Put the battery right under the motor and keep all the radio, servos included, as far forward as you can to get the C of G right.

They are lovely to fly and with the big wheels and steep dihedral very 'atmospheric' in flight

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 07/07/2020 06:46:21

The plan for the newer Junior60 is here on Outerzone for free download with an article on electric version. The older version is also on Outerzone. Or you could buy just the plan from Ben Buckle. Buying the balsa from SLEC or Balsa Cabin etc would be much cheaper than buying the kit

Edited By kc on 07/07/2020 08:52:21

Further to what others have said Hayden, the Flair Junior 60 is the 1955 version which features a wider fuselage and a stronger wing to allow for the heavy receivers which were in use in the 1950s.

Belair Kits produce a parts set of the Junior 60 which sells for £65. You would have to provide all of the strip wood but the wing ribs, formers and other parts are all cut out for you. Judging by the size of the rudder, I'd say that this is the later 1955 version, the same as the Flair kit. **LINK**

I have the BB version. Lovely model. No need to worry if you cannot get the electric version the ic will suit electric as already stated. Have a search on this very forum I posted some pictures of mine a couple of weeks ago I will try to bump it up

Hidden amongst the Outerzone comments on the Junior 60 is a link to a book called The Big Four which contains an article explaining the differences between the Junior 60 and the Super Sixty. Also the Big Four is about Frog Jackdaw, Mercury Galahad, Veron Viscount which might interest those who have replied to this thread. The book is 1960's so much of the radio stuff is out of date but the plane design comments are interesting and relevant now.

I don't want to confuse the situation here but its worth considering whether the Super Sixty would be a more suitable model than the Junior 60. It's horses for courses - the Junior is more a plane for vintage flying pleasure while the Super is a plane to learn to fly with 3 or 4 function RC. Not much in it for construction ease or flying pleasure, but the Super is just that bit more modern. Each plane has it's enthusiasts.

To all those contributors to my question, thank you.

Just to let you know I am in New Zealand but I can easily get a kitset or parts, or the plan so just because I am down here it is not problem, we have ways and means.

I was thinking about Belair and not Flair too by the way. Slipped my mind.

Have a Simplex that I have trundlled around the sky but needs a fair bit of weight forward being such a short nose and electric does not help further reducing that mass forward compared to IC.

I will see if I can print off the plan and go from there but the BB version sounds OK. I will re-read the posts as it is all good information and thank. Lovely models.

I ordered my Ben Buckle Junior 60 so will see how she goes.

Someone was commenting on the price of balsa. Down here in New Zealand it is exhorbantly expensive.

I see that you can buy 1/4" x 4" x 36" for GBP 2.45 which is $4.90 in our money. We are charged $12 per sheet which is 6 quid!! I Should start buying it in the UK and ship it down here.Same goes for plywood.

Whats the best place to buy good balsa in the UK?

Anyway give a few months and i should have my Junior 60.

I buy balsa from SLEC or The Balsa Cabin. Good balsa and keen prices. I suggest you also look at other items they sell and decide if you want to add other things or kits to your order to make worthwhile. Ask them for an estimate of shipping costs.

Posted by Hayden Brown on 07/07/2020 11:42:34:

I will see if I can print off the plan and go from there but the BB version sounds OK. I will re-read the posts as it is all good information and thank. Lovely models.

Just download the plan (and instructions) from Outerzone, then take/send the plan's .pdf file to your local printshop.

Job done.

Posted by Hayden Brown on 13/07/2020 12:11:37:

I ordered my Ben Buckle Junior 60 so will see how she goes.

Someone was commenting on the price of balsa. Down here in New Zealand it is exhorbantly expensive.

I see that you can buy 1/4" x 4" x 36" for GBP 2.45 which is $4.90 in our money. We are charged $12 per sheet which is 6 quid!! I Should start buying it in the UK and ship it down here.Same goes for plywood.

Whats the best place to buy good balsa in the UK?

Anyway give a few months and i should have my Junior 60.

I bought a plan pack from Hangaronekits in NZ and included the additional wood pack by what you say I will not be doing that again.

I have just checked in my scrap box and 1/8" x 3" x 36" is marked as $6.15. That was a year ago.

Steve

I just have to ship anything to Corby, Northants and the rest is free carriage in our shipping container. I should just buy in bulk

I have a Decon plan which i had printed off so yes it is easy and also to have enlargements made. I have done this for some of Vic Smeeds model boats. Probably build the Decon before the Junior 60 arrives off the boat if I pulled my finger out.

Summer is coming.

I have got the plan of the 1955 model complete,and also the 1946 model plan minus the wings. I have both planes that share the same wings, but the 1946 fuselage I bought at the nationals in 2006 , and I have only flown it once. The 1955 model I have flown on and off over a 57 year period with power from 3 different engines and 3 sets of radio. It's currently sitting in my garage and going nowhere.

I can get the plan(s) copied if required.

1946 JNR 60 and original Keil Kraft 1955 New JNR 60 Built 1962/3

Ben Buckle1946 JNR 60

pb030179.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/07/2020 16:44:59

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 13/07/2020 16:47:30

Hayden is that a container of your personal goods? Because if you just slip personal goods into a container of commercial items it could cause all sorts of problems - goods not being shown on the manifest, importing tropical timber, suspicion that it conceals something illegal, evading customs duty etc etc. Worst of all it could delay the rest of the goods and cause knock on effects. ( Many years ago these are all the things i used to tell the Americans who tried to slip items they had bought in England -antiques etc - etc into the containers of tractor engines being shipped to Detroit by their employers! So I tell you as well in case you hadn't thought of that - but perhaps you are allowed to do this? )

On English TV we get lots of programmes showing how the customs intercept contraband - it seems they even Xray 40ft containers to see if anything suspicious shows up!

Yes me. I built the Jensen Das Ugly Stick 60".

It was excellent they had taken the original plan and updated for modern setup like wing servos.

I have been looking at the Miles Magister and it is obvious that they build and fly their kits which is reassuring.

Steve