Electric Motor/ Battery combo for Gentle Lady

Hi

Following some very useful advice previously from this forum, I have now completed the building of a Gentle Lady sail plane as my first entrance into electric powered model planes.

I have searched the many forums on suggestions for the right motor/ battery/ESC combos and have to confess am more confused particularly with some of the USA suggestions.

So this is where I am today. I am looking at the 4Max PO-2826-1046 motor with its 1040 Kv with a 30A ESC using either a 9x7 or 10x6 folding prop but not sure about battery. Would a 3S-1500mAh suffice or do I need something bigger? I can see cooling may be a problem as everything is enclosed in a small space.

Any help or suggestions appreciated. Plane has come in at 22ozs with its 6ft wing span as spec'd.

Max continuous current for that motor is 15A so a 3S 1500mAH battery should be fine. For comparison, my Radian draws 17 amps and runs on a 1400 mAH battery, I can get multiple 30 second full power bursts to climb to height followed by several minutes gliding between power runs.

A good quality 10x6 folding prop and spinner (Aeronaut or Graupner) should be a good starting point and you are right about cooling, make sure that there is adequate inlet and egress area for cooling. It would be a good idea to check current draw on full power with an ammeter/wattmeter, you may find that you need to go up or down a prop size.

• 1 month later...

Hello all,--Many years ago the folks who made the gentle lady( Carl Goldberg?) also made a clone called the "Electra" -basically a GL with a much wider fuselage . I still have mine but gave up trying to fly it on 7 NiCads and a car motor. Master Airscrew made a 3 to 1 gear box witch snapped onto the front of the bat (which raised the thrust line somewhat) but by that time I had gone back to IC engines, never having tried that combo. After having messed around with a GL, I decided it would just be easier to go find my dust covered Electra. I have heard that so many have easily convert a GL to electric I guess I could go either way. Nah, I'm going Electra!

I have not seen the Electra kit in a long time but did see a GL kit for $65 recently in a Hobby shop last January-------Bob B.