Ballerina by EarlyBird

The cowl

dscn0337.jpg

I have sanded down to the masking tape at the back and the nose ring at the front. It is still a bit rough and the front could have more shape. That will all be done at the finishing pre covering stage.

Five days that has taken me which sounds a long time for a cowl. Not to worry I stopped rushing about when I retired. I take my time and enjoy myself yes and it has been fun.

I like to plan ahead so as I have had practice with the razor plane I will tackle the balsa blocks at the back.

Then fin, rudder, tail plane and elevators.

Steve

As promised I started at the back this morning.

First a bit of sanding on the tail plane mount so it is parallel to the wing tube joiner like so

dscn0338.jpg

as you can see a bit early for me and still a bit blurry eyed.

After a second coffee made up a T

dscn0339.jpg

Test fitted

dscn0340.jpg

then glued the balsa blocks in place

dscn0341.jpg

Now waiting for the glue to dry AGAIN!

A good days work. That is four more pieces of balsa glued in place which will be dry tomorrow then I can get the Razor Plane out again yippee yes

Steve

With the Razor Plane to hand I started with the Razor Saw removing large chunks of balsa

dscn0343.jpg

Which got me to this

dscn0344.jpg

Stanley Knife next

dscn0345.jpg

and planed down as close to the fuselage as I dare go, it's easy to gouge out a chunk of balsa by accident. How do I know that? I added tape and a T pin before proceeding further. The T pin was all that was required to hold the block of balsa firm.

dscn0346.jpg

Then sand. A beautiful morning, light wind and sun, perfect for going outside for a bit of sanding....

dscn0347.jpg

Again, as with the cowl, the finishing touches will be done at the precovering stage.

I just had a thought 'sun and light wind' perfect for flying. That could be why there is very little activity on the forum. They have gone flying. If so please have fun safely.

Steve

Another beautiful day with sun and light wind just perfect for sanding out doors. smiley

But I am thinking of going flying smileysmileyyes

A question!

The tail feathers are next and having read many very informative threads I realise there are different ways of achieving an acceptable end result.

Some for example have no shaping and the edges are square. I have been told this is due to a lack of sandpaper.

Some round the edges only, obviously they have not run out of sandpaper.

Some round the edges and taper the fin and rudder from bottom to top and front to back. Similarly with the tail plane and elevator but from middle to the end and front to back. Obviously they must have sandpaper and a razor plane. smiley

The question is which is best?

I have another question but that refers to final assembly and covering so I will keep that one until later.

Cheers beer

Have fun and fly safely.

Steve

Round off the leading edge and tips, leave the back edge square.

Bevel the front of the control

And taper the controls a bit, say from 1/4 down to 1/8, front to back, leaving that back 1/8 edge square. I've never done a taper from root to tip. Seems a lot of effort! The square edge has a small aerodynamic effect that helps avoid flutter, so I have read. Plus, it is less effort to leave something square.

If its not a fancy model I don't bother tapering at all, or, perhaps I made it from something that won't taper, like foamboard.

Ballerina is looking good Steve.

Edited By Nigel R on 20/07/2020 10:12:50

Thanks Nigel and Bob.

Looks like we are all in agreement then, is this a first? smiley

So I will -

Round the leading edges, leave the trailing edge square, bevel front of the control surface and taper the control surface if I wish to do so.

As I said to Peter if that good enough for you it's good enough for me.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers beer

Steve

Nigel, yes

'One small benefit of tapering the control surface is that it makes it few grams lighter.'

That was my thoughts when I built my first plan pack, BTW this is my second, as it was electric I bought into the obsession with building light and saved every gram by tapering the tail surfaces. A lot of work for little benefit.

I also cut lightening holes to reduce weight, some thing I lived to regret. I realised after ripping out the under carriage for the third time that I had compromised the strength of the fuselage just where it was needed most. That's newbies for you I guess.

So now I have a new obsession build for strength make it heavy! smiley

Fit a big motor and fly in strong winds. smiley

thinking

Steve

After just a few minutes of sanding

dscn0351.jpg

The leading edge was rounded. Then onto the elevators using a plane for the bevels alight sand on the trailing edge to remove the sharp corners. Hinge positions marked.

dscn0352.jpg

I am going to move the outer hinges in as they look a bit close to the edge.

Dramatic progress for me.

Steve

Yet another warm sunny morning with light wind. Perfect for sanding outside.

But today I am dragging myself away from my Ballerina and going flying. yes

I am very lucky in that one of my clubs is just over two miles from my house so I can go for a flight or two and return home for lunch and recharge my batteries. The other is fourteen miles away which means I have to go there for the day too make the journey worth it. smiley

"I'll be back"

Steve

On with the build after three good flights.

What is it about the flight line that makes all the aches and pains of old age disappear?

Flying puts a smile on my face that lasts for hours. Love it yes

It is the best medicine I have ever come across. smiley and that is one big grin.

Cut the hinge slots and test fit. Bend an locate the joiner.

dscn0353.jpg

Drill and cut a slot. Then dry fit.

dscn0355.jpg

Do the same for the other half. Dry fit again.

dscn0357.jpg

Check the gap.

dscn0358.jpg

and the movement.

dscn0359.jpg

Plenty there I think.

Next onto the fin/rudder.

Big grins all round!

Cheers beer

Steve

Fin and rudder. Test fit the fin on the fuselage trimmed 2 mm off the front and 2 mm of the back of the fin.

To give this

dscn0360.jpg

Now I know it all fits I can shape the fin and hinge the rudder.

Another good day in the workshop and an hours flying this morning. Can it get any better?

Cheers beer

Steve

Posted by john stones 1 on 21/07/2020 23:55:26:

A man happy at his work, love it.

You'll love flying it well it's finished Steve, agile, viceless, and looks great. yes

Thanks John.

Flying is the true test of the quality of the build and I think that I will love it.

Peter's excellent design is a good starting point for us all.

Cheers beerand back to the fin and rudder before more flying! yesyesyes

Steve

The fin and rudder continue

Shaped the fin and bevelled the rudder. Marked the hinge position on both.

dscn0361.jpg

Marked the centre lines

dscn0362.jpg

On both

dscn0363.jpg

I use a hot soldering iron to start the cut.

dscn0364.jpg

Then cut to depth with a knife working it backwards and forwards while test fitting the hinge.

dscn0365.jpg

I bevel the sides of the slots which makes the hinge sink into the slot.

dscn0366.jpg

and repeat. Dry fit when happysmiley

dscn0368.jpg

and check for movement.

dscn0369.jpg

What's next?

Hinge the hatch, sheet the fuselage bottom and fit the tail wheel. I am starting to think about the wings!

Batteries are charged so I am going flying.smileyyes

Cheers beer

Steve

Cheers

After three more twenty minute flights yes

I started on the bottom sheeting when I returned home.

First removing the fin and tail plane and re-inserting the inverted T to support the tail balsa blocks.

Ply plate fitted.

dscn0370.jpg

A bit blurry eyed again obviously I need another coffee. smiley

I also added a 3mm strip of balsa to the back of F6 .dscn0371.jpg

Snakes are installed and glued at every former. Double checked all of the former glued joints. Proceed with the sheeting now.

But how?

There are more ways than one to do this so time for a second coffee and to put my thinking cap on, now where did I put it? smiley

Cheers beer

Steve

Thanks Peter,

That was one less decision for me to make.

I think of the Ballerina as a lady and my dad told me 'always look after the ladies' so I have always lavished TLC on them and never given any lady a hard thump. But as we all know with flying, that could and probably will change.smiley

My dad's advice has worked for my parents as they are coming up to their seventieth anniversary. Wow!

Cheers beer

Steve