Vintage Models KK Elmira

The rear fuselage is more rounded on the original KK Elmira, Here are some photos from mine.

Also the tail is sheeted on the lower surface between the fuselage and Rib 1. I found that the covering seriously saged between the ribs on the upper surface so when I refurbished mine I also sheeted the top from leading edge to the diagonal brace.

20200906_163430.jpg

20200906_163442.jpg

20200906_163501.jpg

Nigel, thanks for the photos, I could have taken some more wood out of the back to round it off even more I guess, there is probably enough thickness in the wood there. The tailplane is sheared on the centre section at ribs 1 for support. I will be covering in solartex so hopefully it will cover ok. Time will tell.

• 1 month later...

I built my Elmira around 1970. I didn't care for the rudder profile purely on aesthetic grounds and 'squared' it out to look more like the later Skylark. This vastly increased the rudder area and I never suffered from the lack of response noted in the kit review. However the control still lacked the precision for slope top landings and after about three flights I cut off the trailing edge, added a sub spar with the lower edge rotated forward and top hinged the now ailerons with monocote strips. I followed the then practice and had a single servo at the wing centre with pushrods through the wing with press stud connectors at the wing break. The ailerons were from the end of the tip root sheeting out to two rib bays short of the tip. I used little mechanical differential but the top hinging gave me a well harmonised control with no adverse yaw. The photo is cropped from a bigger original. It shows more or less how the fin and rudder looked. Hope this helps someone. If I build another one I will add top surface air brakes and wing mounted servos, but leave the rest as was.

elmira2crop.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

img-20201024-wa0003.jpegUpdate on the Elmira build which has taken way too long but there is no rush at the moment. Airframe is now covered in Solartex that I just happened to have the remains of a ten metre roll I bought some time ago. The bare wood was primed with dope thin 50/50 with thinners and lightly sanded to remove the roughness. Paint trim is water based acrylic airbrushed on and sealed with clear varnish. Radio fit has been completed and control throughs roughly set. All I have left to do is fit the canopy and then set the CofG which I will try and get completed this weekend.

Latest photos added to album.20201022_103809.jpg20201110_170037.jpg

Edited By Paul Ashford on 13/11/2020 16:38:38

After what feels like for ever the Elmira is finally finished! Balanced out at 55mm from leading edge and canopy fitted. The build has not been without it's problems, however, I am very pleased with the outcome. Admittedly I didn't make life easy for myself deciding to incorporate modifications along the way. There have been many reports that the model is sluggish to turn on just Rudder (even the legendary Dave Hughes reported this back in '71) so I have incorporated ailerons and spoilers to assist with the landings. I will report back on this after the first flight, whenever that may be. I am very pleased with the look of the model and can't wait to chuck it off the hill!20201115_132514.jpg20201115_132720.jpg