Radiomaster TX16s Anyone tried one?

Tim A

Posted by flight1 on 21/01/2021 11:22:09:

Well its not hard to find the conformity certificate, the problem with doom/nay sayers they never stop to check facts first and spread false uncertainties to make life harder

here is a link to the right page just download and view the right document for your needs

HERE click

Edited By flight1 on 21/01/2021 11:23:23

Top stuff, I'm no expert on this but why would the TX16s be 0.0012 watts compared to the TX12s at 0.058 watts according to the FCC certificate, is this to do with the fact that the TX12 doesn't have the multi-protocol module fitted.

If a multiprotocol radio has a non conformity issue with one of the the protocols it covers does that mean it's illegal in that country or that it's the users responsibility not to use it e.g using the non lbt functions in the UK? Isn't it a lot like having a car that can do 150mph in a country where the limit is 70mph?

If you buy from a British or EU shop you surely would not need to worry about EU compliance - the importer should be responsible. When I searched for the current price I noticed that most seem to say it's shipped from CN which one assumes means China. This means you import it yourself. It would seem much better to only buy Tx from a British shop especially as buying from EU shops seems uncertain about the VAT situation just at the moment.

Posted by RAYMOND MCMASTER on 21/01/2021 11:58:45:

So then explain what you meant by calling me a doom/may sayer ?

Perhaps answer a civil question with a civil reply or just scroll on down next time ?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Raymond.

We try to ensure that posters are civil to each other, even when they have opposing viewpoints and to make the forum a generally pleasant experience to use. To be fair to Flight1, his comment isn't necessarily directed at you - probably more likely at the sources that lead you to ask the question in the first place.

Let's hope you get the information you need - there is a wide variety of experience and knowledge available here.

Raymond - you asked for a link to a shop with stock- a Google search gave this one says it has stock and gives a phone number ( says the hours and certain days ) But I know nothing about that shop and my advice would be only to invest money on a Tx system with known record of stocking additional Rx and spares.

Posted by kc on 21/01/2021 13:39:07:

Raymond - you asked for a link to a shop with stock- a Google search gave this one says it has stock and gives a phone number ( says the hours and certain days ) But I know nothing about that shop and my advice would be only to invest money on a Tx system with known record of stocking additional Rx and spares.

Thanks a lot, I actually ordered one just before you posted. I'm pretty sure they were showing no stock last night but fingers crossed it'll be here soon.

I think the TX16S' multiprotocol capabilities make that stocking of Rxs less important. Spares and support being from China would bother me. The pricepoint and prevalence of Chinese manufacturers making multiprotocol radios does suggest that rather than repairing a faulty Tx (of this origin) it might make more sense to replace. I'm not keen on the buy cheap and throw away frequently schtick, but...

HobbyRC have a decent rep, he will be fine. I'm not sure the latter half of your post really holds true though now, at least not for the new breed of low cost, multi-protocol, Open source based TXs. If they can connect to 90%+ of 2.4GHz protocols and cost less than £100 how important is the availability of RXs and spares? Frankly I think TX16 spares will be more readily available than most "big brand" ones, certainly stuff like stick units, switches etc are at multiple UK stockists and of course Banggood, Alibaba etc.

When TXs were relatively far more expensive your strategy made absolute sense. These days though the disruptors have disrupted and it's a different game from 10 years ago when big brands that locked you into a single exosystem were the only option.

Edited By MattyB on 21/01/2021 17:27:04

Posted by MattyB on 10/08/2020 16:44:15:
Posted by Tony Callan on 10/08/2020 14:48:50:

That came out a few months ago, ostensibly to correct a bug that caused very occasional uncommanded servo movements, but it seems they were more focussed on encrypting the protocol to try and force people to buy the new TXs and RXs than releasing solid RF firmware. Not only does that mean the new TXs won't bind to aftermarket FrSky compatibles, but lots of other bugs were introduced which they are now leaving to the community to squish for them.

I know that this is a few months old, but is encrytping 'Open Source' software aganst the rules?

I understand that dji got away with this years ago with their drone software.

So are Chnese companies immune to copyright laws?

Cloned engines are a typical example.

skippy

Yes there is often confusion between the RF side of things and the software that does all the mixing etc.

OpenTX is the operating sytem software that operate over multple platforms(transmitters from different makes etc).

on the Rf side in the rc world there are only a few RF chips are used and many manufactures use the same ones. these are designed to transmit/recieve) on the 2.4Ghz band and this is ware the word protocol comes in and this is the firmware comes to play with each manufacturing using its own format of coded data packages to be sent/recieved which contain the info needed for each control.

I don't know if you can own a protocol' out right as so much of it's code is in common us, they all just using a coded pin to keep it in 'house'.

it's all so complicated

• 6 months later...
On 15/07/2020 at 23:15, J Moyler said:

I have recently brought one and am in the process of setting it up. First impressions are good. One little thing the I like is that all the switches are labelled, unlike some Frsky transmitters. If you do not know open TX prepared for a steep learning curve. There are a few videos on on you tube. Try painless360.

The reason why I got mine is for training. With a 4 in one module, you should be able to It use as a master radio With any radio as a slave. At the moment I have it set up as a master with a spectrum DX7 as slave. I have still got a few things to do before I going flying. Will report back next week once I use it.

JM

I am trying to set up a DX7 as a slave but can't get it to work. I have set the trainer function on the TX16S to Trainer Sticks and checked it to be active so believe that is OK. The DX7 is not powered up but comes on when the cable is connected. Am not sure what the Trainer setting on the DX7 should be set to? Any guidance would be much appreciated.