Brian Taylor Hurricane Project

I have on order from Sarik all the bits and pieces for my future build of the BT 70” Hurricane. I believe when Brian originally designed this model the power source was a Laser 75. Times move on and although i have a Laser 75,do any previous builders of this model have any thoughts on perhaps the option of a more powerful engine. It would have to be glo and either Laser or Saito both of which i am sure could provide the required solution. I also have set of E-Flite electric retracts which were bought by a French modelling friend of mine who intended them for a Topflite Spitfire but sadly passed away before completing the model and were sold off as part of his estate. I intended to finish this model but unfortunately all the hardware was missing along with the canopy, build instructions etc. I think the retracts may suit the Hurricane admirably, i will know better when the plan arrives. I have, as indeed many others, a great affinity for the Hurricane due mainly to the involvement of my father with Hawker Aircraft. He started working for them in 1926 aged 16 at the old Brooklands motor circuit. In later years Hawkers moved to Langley and at the time of the last build PZ865 he was fight shed manager. I have a 35mm and also a 9.5mm cine film of the beautiful ‘Last of the Many’ piloted by the great George Bulman in front of all the dignitairies at the time. My dad can be seen towing the aircraft out of the hangar for its display. Several other aircraft can also be seen on this short film. I wonder if i ought to offer it to the BBMF before it gets lost amongst all my belongings. I also have quite a few really nice photographs taken during its assembly stages which i am sure would be of interest. Anyway, back to the model, it will be a fairly prolonged build i would imagine and one to put as much care and effort into as most of my models seem to take an awful long time to finish after the initial construction is completed!!

Sir

Well done, another Hurri fan here. It's a long build, but unless you swap balsa for fresh air, the Laser won t do it justice. I think BT must be a very light builder. I have thought of this model many times, but I dread the thought of at least hanging a 90 or bigger out the nose. I would have to go leccy to preserve the looks, rather than ruin it with cylinder heads and silencers etc.

Just my preferance

Maurice

Although nobody would deny the reputation and sheer beauty of the immortal spitfire, the Hurricane could turn inside the spit. Lower wing loading. A good solid gun platform. But in lots of books I've read, she had a nasty reputation for catching fire when hit in the right place. As I suppose did the spit.......

My favourite colour scheme is Bob Stanford Ticks D T A, with the Dunkirk black port wing.

Maurice

My thoughts as well Maurice but for me the leccy route would be a whole new adventure. It does bother me how cooling for a largish 4s glo can be achieved but maybe again this will become obvious when i have BTs’ drawings to study

Have a chat with Jon at Laser Engines, best advice from the manufacturer + his extensive experience with many warbirds.

IMHO its a bit pointless putting an engine and then adding loads of lead to get C of G as you might as well put a bigger engine in the first place. My SG Hurricane (82) has a 180 in it and a load of lead up front, in fact the full size had a load of lead strapped to the front !

Edited By Chris Walby on 20/07/2020 14:14:34

I really fancied the DB Sport and Scale 88” version but was put off by the mounting cost of building such a beast. It does look lovely when built and there have been some amazing examples but i went for a more manageable scale in the end. I think Richard Bristow has exhausted pracically all his stock during the lockdown, not just the Hurricane butalso most others. I do hope he is able to catch up in these very hard times as it would bevery sad to see anything untoward happen to his superb business.

Im a big Hurricane fan. I am currently building a DB Hurricane which is my...4th hurricane? Something like that. To date i have only 1 spitfire to my name although there are 2 waiting in the wings.

If you wanted a laser i always recommend our 120 for the BT Hurricane as its fits in the cowl with a minimum of disruption to the scale lines. The 75/80 are just not man enough if built to a realistic weight. If you go for an alternative power plant then something of equivalent power would be recommended.

I know the purists will get very upset, but if its 12-14lbs and has a 120 in the nose it will be just fine.

Just picked up a post from Jon of Laser Engines in another thread. I shoulld have looked more closely. He basically says the Laser 75 or 80 come to that is just not enough and he would recommend at least the 100 so my main query is really answered. It is the question of cooling which is now my main concern and also if the Laser 100 can be concealed within the cowl

Bit of an overlap there as Jon actually recommends the 120 as the best option. Have to wait now for order from Sarik to arrive and then hopefully things will become clearer. Sorry to be a bit of a PITA but itching to have a look at everything!

The grey matter has woke up. I have looked at the plan, and I remember back in the days, 'somebody's put a 120 in the front, but moved the engine former back by about 2 inches and made (or had made) an extension with the prop driver on the end.

No pictures or further info, sorry.

Maurice

I don't think extending the crankshaft is a good idea, Jon does not recommend adding additional weight to the prop/spinner and if you are trying to mount a shaft in front of the engine its going to get very complicated.

I really can't impress any more than to build light at the rear and you will still be adding useful lead at the front to get the C of G in the right place,

Cooling should not be an issue, again look at Jon's and others builds as if the air is ducted in, over the engine and out you don't need big apertures to achieve good cooling.

Pick a 120 up from Jon, lay it on the plans and build the rest of the model to suit making sure the tank is in the right position!

Welcome to the Hurricane club wink

Edited By Chris Walby on 20/07/2020 16:49:21

I am part way through building the BT hurricane, electric version, I have found Danny Fentons build blog on the rcscale site ( Global build off Dannys electric hurricane ) a great help.it informs you on the electrical conversion_ aTurnigy 5065 motor, fitting a sound system, and fitting the retracts ,he used unitracts, but i have used H.K. electric , the key to sucess is the pintle angle of the legs, get it right and the wheels are in the right position up or down, be aware that B.T.plans are very accurate ,but not for the beginner, but if you perceveer ,take your time and double check eveything you will end up with a very accurate scale model.

Thanks Geoff, nice to have been of help

My build is as Geoff says on RCSB but be warned it is lengthy

Maurice, the flap under the cowl isn't operated by air pressure, Brian would open it before flight, quite common practice back in the day. Though I suppose a light enough spring and it could be done that way???

The air from inside the cowl has a nice exit route through the fuselage into the wheel bay, the trick is getting the air inside the cowl in the first place

The pintle angles are indeed key, and I think you will be disappointed trying to make the Spit units fit.

It is a really enjoyable build, but not easy, the area around the flaps is not clear on the plan, but the answers are there, you just have to study the plans long enough.

My one piece of advice for any of Brian's plans, deviate at your peril! he really does know what he is doing.

I look forward to following along, should be fab

hurricane finished.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 21/07/2020 11:06:58

Edited By Danny Fenton on 21/07/2020 11:11:55

• Like 1

Hi Geoff, awkward question my friend. The Hurricane still hasn't flown. I did make an effort to fly it last year, and it appeared to have plenty of power, but alas I nosed it over on take-off. Quite embarrassing as I can fly better than that.

A subsequent accident in the garage when repairing the wheel doors, which saw the cupboard units coming off the wall and crushing the doors and cowl have only just been repaired. Hopefully I will try it again soon.

My Hurricane requires a positive mindset and several layers of cycle clips, and I keep bottling it. But it needs to fly, I just want to keep it more than I want to fly it I guess?

So sorry Geoff no news, but power was plenty, duration was my next concern, probably around seven minutes only of spirited flying.

Cheers

Danny

All point noted Danny but could you be more specific with the retracts. I believe Unitracts are no longer available so thought the e-flite ones i have would do the trick. As far as motive power is concerned, the Laser 120 seems to fit the bill nicely but will probably never be available. Jon has sometime recommended the 100 but maybe because of gaining some noseweight says the 150 is maybe better. How about a small increase in nose length to compensate?

Hiya, let me see if i can find the Unitracts diagram regarding pintle angles etc. This also covers the sweep angle.

It is also crucial that the pivot points and block height above the rails match Brian's drawing.

Unitracts is still operating, Tony Goodger sold the business, the new owner is a lot more "part time" and many people have struggled to reach him.....

A good friend used a chap called Dave Brown to make some retracts for a Taylor Typhoon, he said they were great.

Tel 07968254056 Might be worth a chat?

pintle1.jpg

pintle2.jpg

That same friend had a laser 1.20 in his hurricane and said it was perfect.

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Danny

Very comprehensive info Danny and i think i will follow your route with the retracts and follow your expert advice. Yet to view your build on RC Scale but will have a dig around today if possible. Amongst my aforesaid Hawker photos are several showing PZ865 having its undercarriage raised and lowered. I havent posted any photographs on this site yet so will try and sort this out. Not sure if any copyright would be broken by copying any of these photographs?

Posted by Limobob on 21/07/2020 15:34:28:

the Laser 120 seems to fit the bill nicely but will probably never be available.

?? I dont remember saying that, who gave you that impression?

Anyway, the 120 works the best for power, fit and fuel tank placement. The 100 pokes out more and tank placement is more difficult, the 155 as it now is has the same problem and its just too powerful anyway given the target weight of 12-14lbs.

Sorry Jon, i’m sure i read you had a problem getting a batch of crankshafts manufactured during the current Covid situation and indeed there was not a huge interest in this model. I found that quite strange as it seems to be a super engine for this type of model. My apologies if i am wrong and my first choice would be the Laser 120. I have several Saitos and Topmodel out here usually have stock at good prices, although the last i bought, a 62B came from SMC! I think the thing with the Laser is the width and compactness with the standard exhaust layout pretty perfect, with Saito it not so easy

The rona certainly has slowed me down. I did want the 120 back by now but its obviously not. It is the next engine that will return as soon as i have the parts.

Before that i need to replace all the other sizes that are out of stock. 3 weeks i have been waiting for the parts to come back from hardening so i can finish the 20 odd engines i have waiting

Thanks 2020 for being such a pain!

• 4 weeks later...

My order from Sarik arrived early yesterday, amazingly rapidly via TNT. I ordered the extra wood pack to make things easier as with Covid we are delaying a UK visit at present. A couple of issues but have contacted Joyce but really would not expect them to replace anything as packaging is difficult for small amounts. The laser cutting is very good with a couple of replacements where burning has occured. My biggest gripe is not having a check-off list of what is in the pack.

Having now quickly scanned the fuselage plan my choice of engine just has to be the Laser 120. I have looked on their site and will await some re-stocking. No real hurry though as i have lots of other things to catch up with. It would be nice to be able to mark out the firewall and get the engine mount fixings sorted out but afraid this will have to wait until i have the engine etc

Well Sarik have come straight back to me and offered replacement of some very wonky stripwood and also will recut one former which was chopped short. They also enclosed a cutting list which is very useful to check stuff off. I would like to say a very big thank you to them...excellent service