Brian Taylor Hurricane Project

I picked up what Danny said about Unitracts still operating but i have had no luck at al trying to contact them. Has anybody else had any recent dealing with them so may be able to throw some light on the subject. The electric route may seem a possible option but difficult to find any dimensional drawings etc to ascertain if they will actually fit and can be adapted to accomodate the required angles by setting the legs, maybe not so easy and could finish up a complete waste of money. This is where the unitract units win hands down as angles and oleos are taken care of and you are sure they will fit. I spoke with Fighter Aces ref. the CJM set but am told the business is pretty well defunct so can rule that route out,shame as they looked very good.

I got a call from the chap who runs unitracts now. He seemed surprised at my shock that they were still going. I did mention that everyone considers them dead a buried as they never answer the phone. Allegedly they are there, but if you cant call them im not sure what to suggest.

Anyway, the parts that i was waiting for finally showed up late last week so i hope i can at least solve one problem for you soon.

I am going to print off the Unitract order form and send it to John Hope and see if i get any response. I’m not sure how much info he would require but hope just a request for a standard set to suit the Hurricane would suffice. I’m sure he has made lots of these retracts and assume he has all the required info. The only thing a bit vague would be the cost and postage as info on the site is pretty old. Failing any response i will try Dave Brown as Danny gave me a contact number which i hope is in UK otherwise a hefty phone bill could suprise me!

• 4 weeks later...

Well i’ve gone off at a tangent and bought a Saito 125a fs, last one that Topmodel had along with its pre-tapped alloy mount. It is a tad bigger than i was expecting to be honest but a lovely, beautifully made thing, it will protrude a fair bit inverted and could be very vulnerable to damage with the Hurricances tendency to nose over. With this in mind, what options do i have? Side mounted would be easy but look horrible but how about canted at 45 degrees, this may solve the damage issue and i think still allow for the Merlin exhaust stubs to be modelled. I need to do some careful measuring to see where the exhaust port exits, a bendy pipe may do the trick with a right angled adapter. It would also bring the carb up a tad higher and allow for the tank issue to be addressed. The 9oz BT shows would not be sufficient and 17/18oz is more likely required for decent duration. Size comes into the equation as the larger tank would be around 150 in length! I intend to push the front former forward about 25mm so the Saito can be bolted straight on, this gives a little more interior space....i think. I have all the materials to re-make the necessary side pieces in 1/4” balsa and 1/16” birch ply, just need the weather to change a bit before i disappear in my workshop to get started. On the retract side of things, the Unitracts or in fact any air system needs reconsidering with the lack of space being factored in, looking more and more like electric at the moment. I watched a club member fly his Mustang with a big Saito inverted with a standard muffler. Looks a bit naff on the ground but once flying and with the very bendy electric retract legs tucked away it was a joy to watch.

• 1 month later...

Just woken up again and pleased to report my progress, which is pretty slow. Fuselage is built up to the stage of the top stringers being in place and working on the tail feathers, very time consuming and quite fiddly at times but gradually getting there. Coming out quite well actually and have the tailwheel mounted with its horn and kevlar for the closed loop. Just need to source some suitable tension springs. My thoughts now turn to the fuel tank positioning/plumbing etc. I have purchased a couple of different tanks, a Kavan 14oz and Ripmax 16oz both of which are far too big to go in Brians allocated space even with my 25mm side member extension. I have scoured the internet for information on fitting a small supplementary tank low down and feeding it with the higher placed main tank. Without doing something i can forsee many problems with fuel syphoning and flooding. Any information anyone can supply would be a great help. I feel sure this problem will have reared its ugly head for many builders in the past and hopefully can be resolved. The 9oz Slec tank shown on the BT drawings i feel would be just far too small when using a 120/125 four stroke

My head is spinning a bit with so many posts to read in the laser thread alone. The chicken hopper discussion looks a possibility but with Saito recommending tank pressure how would this work or can it be ignored. Any system would i think need careful bench testing prior to committing it to a model.

Reassuringf from Richard Dalgleish, perhaps i am worrying too much. I haven’t put the tank box in yet as i need to remake one part because of my extended side members. I will see then just how low i can position a bigger tank, not very i fear, but thanks for all the comments

• 7 months later...

Limobob, Danny, Jon and others

Having completed my Fury to the point of flying, a few finishing touches required now that is still in one piece, I have just started a BT Hurricane from a kit purchased before Traplet became Sarik. I have a Laser 120 ready to use. I am not such an expert at building as youselves so any tips and pictures would be welcome.

Did anyone have success ordering retracts from Unitracts? 

Best wishes 

Graham, Brisbane, Australia

6 hours ago, Graham LL said:

Limobob, Danny, Jon and others

Having completed my Fury to the point of flying, a few finishing touches required now that is still in one piece, I have just started a BT Hurricane from a kit purchased before Traplet became Sarik. I have a Laser 120 ready to use. I am not such an expert at building as youselves so any tips and pictures would be welcome.

Did anyone have success ordering retracts from Unitracts? 

Best wishes 

Graham, Brisbane, Australia

I tried contacting Unitract over the past 12 months to buy units for my BT P47 and my Bates Sea Fury. Email and phone but no response.

• 4 months later...

Hi all, hello from NZ. New to this forum and building the BT Hurricane too from the Sarik short kit and it’s going to be electric as that’s all I fly these days. Please don’t shoot me down, ?. I already built the BT Mustang some years ago with unitract retracts. Anyway, having the same problem with Unitract, have pinged them 3 times through their website and email but no answer. They are not going to make any money with this kind of customer service!  A friend suggested the Sierra 1/7 scale Retracts but they are only available as pneumatic. Any other suggesting?  Do I just try an make some normal 90 degree units work?  Many thanks in advance. 

Hi all, hello from NZ. New to this forum and building the BT Hurricane too from the Sarik short kit and it’s going to be electric as that’s all I fly these days. Please don’t shoot me down, ?. I already built the BT Mustang some years ago with unitract retracts. Anyway, having the same problem with Unitract, have pinged them 3 times through their website and email but no answer. They are not going to make any money with this kind of customer service!  A friend suggested the Sierra 1/7 scale Retracts but they are only available as pneumatic. Any other suggesting?  Do I just try an make some normal 90 degree units work?  Many thanks in advance. 
BTW, just found these babies available in electric form: https://centuryjet.com/product/32352taylor-hurricane-70-1-2/

has anyone has experience with these?