james hammond aeroic firebird 1.5m

The new James Hammond aeroic firebird 1.5m glider looks a cracker but before I splash out has anyone here seen one/built one/flown one? Looks like getting the gear in could be a tight squeeze so expensive thin servos will be needed.
Looks very pretty though...

Posted by Neil James on 29/07/2020 13:33:47:

The new James Hammond aeroic firebird 1.5m glider looks a cracker but before I splash out has anyone here seen one/built one/flown one? Looks like getting the gear in could be a tight squeeze so expensive thin servos will be needed.
Looks very pretty though...

Not seen one, but it does look good on paper.

The write up talks about 8mm servos - I have been using these in my 150mph 2m gliders for a couple of years and they are good so far and not too expensive (relatively speaking!).

Dick

Looks nice, though the nose is a bit long for my tastes (James seems to be making this something of a signature with his designs perhaps because of the large and heavier vertical fins he also goes for). Personally though having flown bucketloads of 60inchers over the years (Eliminator SR, Minivec, Sunbird, Banana etc) I have decided not to have any more - the 2-2.5m models are just as if not more practical to store and operate and have a lot more performance, especially in lighter lift conditions.

Edited By MattyB on 30/07/2020 13:39:39

Posted by Steve J on 30/07/2020 16:51:40:

£468 for a 60" glider!

This is one of the reasons why all moulded 60 inchers have rather died out - they are very expensive as the time and labour are nearly as much as on a 3m model, and the materials are not that much less.

...I managed to get out for my first slope session of the year last weekend. Which were the two models that committed aviation? My M60 and Prodij .

Yeah, maybe I was a bit hasty... an EPP 60" wing is always useful to have in one's armoury as a lift tester/rough site flyer, as they have decent performance and will take a bounce or two! I wish I still had my S15 Skua actually, that was an awesome model for doing that (I do have a homebrew wing up in the loft waiting to be put together based on an S15 planform; maybe I should get round to building it!). The HP60 was not suitable for that though - definitely the fastest plank I have ever flown, but it needed a decent blow and a lot of space to get on step. M60s are great though!

Posted by Steve J on 30/07/2020 18:11:52:
Posted by MattyB on 30/07/2020 17:44:55:

£468 for a 60" glider!

This is one of the reasons why all moulded 60 inchers have rather died out - they are very expensive as the time and labour are nearly as much as on a 3m model, and the materials are not that much less.

I am trying to remember what my full carbon Prodij cost back in 2008. Low to mid £200's I think and it doesn't need 8mm servos.

I've often wondered what I would replace it with. I won't be a Firebird at that price.

The HP60 was not suitable for that though - definitely the fastest plank I have ever flown

I have the 48" Halfpipe and actually prefer it to the M60, but as it was my first sloping session for a while, I decided to take the M60.

Is this the Prodij you mean - starting at £500? Prices have definitely gone up a lot since 2008 - as my wallet keeps telling me.

Dick

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine has one of these and I have seen it fly. It goes like a rocket and is very strong. Cracking model. James is now using the same builders as produce the D60 and D80 etc so the quality of build is exceptional. You get what you pay for I would say. Definitely better quality than the previous supplier who is no longer..

A friend of mine has one of these and I have seen it fly. It goes like a rocket and is very strong. Cracking model. James is now using the same builders as produce the D60 and D80 etc so the quality of build is exceptional. You get what you pay for I would say. Definitely better quality than the previous supplier who is no longer..