The Alpina is back!

It's back! After a long time away Multiplex have re-acquired the Alpina name and are releasing a new all moulded 4m version, the Alpina Carbotec. This time it's manufactured by Tomahawk Aviation and is priced at 1200 Euros in electric and unpowered versions...

image.png.e265ab6e5351390ad4e8ec6ae9a80a09.png

There is also a smaller 3.3m one with a T tail (again in electric and pure sailplane), the Antaris… (880 Euros)

image.png.97250f2255109107658e22a7b14e60c1.png

At these prices I think they could be pretty popular, especially if the Tangent quality issues have been sorted out.

I always wanted one of those. My closest model shop, Spire Models near Salisbury, used to be full of such things but I never got past 'very tempted'. Multiplex also made a terrific big electric one with a 'hatchet' shaped very slim fuselage and named it after a German beer, though I can't remember its actual name.

It's about time Multiplex made (or marketed) a proper plane again rather than just overpriced chunks of washing machine packing material.

Can't also help thinking that there is a niche in the market for good quality fibreglass fuselage with foam veneered wing gliders, a few years ago I picked up a part built Multiplex Fiesta, while it won't perform like a mouldie it does fly really well and just about always accompanies me to the slope.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 30/07/2020 22:31:42:

Can't also help thinking that there is a niche in the market for good quality fibreglass fuselage with foam veneered wing gliders, a few years ago I picked up a part built Multiplex Fiesta, while it won't perform like a mouldie it does fly really well and just about always accompanies me to the slope.

I've got the old Multiplex Graffiti (glass fuz, balsa sheeted foam wing with a spruce spar) with a geared Kontronik 'long' 480 size motor and a Kontronik 80 amp Jazz controller.

It's terrific!

Posted by GrumpyGnome on 31/07/2020 04:35:17:

I can only drool at the machines costing that much.... I know they will last for years and still be gorgeous, but I'd never be able to justify the cost sad.

GG

Same here. I'd be buying something scale if I was splashing that much cash. No doubt nice aircraft though.

I thought that Tangent owned the IPR on the design of the Alpina, but there's nothing on their website. This moulded version looks identical with the current Tangent Alpina. I wonder whether the wing section has been changed.

I noticed that Tomahawk Aviation do all-composite 1/2 scale ASW 27, ASG 29 and ASG 32 costing > $5000, so the new Alpina Carbotec is a budget product!

I had a Multiplex Alpina 25 years ago that was a lovely glider. Unfortunately, the all-moving tail crank broke when flying it loaded with ballast and inevitably "bit the dust". I currently have a Tangent Alpina Carbon Pro waiting to be built. The wings are very stiff compared to all other versions. I must build it ...

Posted by Barrie Lever on 31/07/2020 09:10:20:

The links give a 503 error and I cannot find the new airframes on the Multiplex site, any chance you could give a new link?

Somewhat worryingly these models seem to have vanished without trace off the Mpx site...sad

Edited By MattyB on 01/08/2020 14:47:35

Spoke with West London Models today who had listed the Alpina for pre-order; apparently they have been told by Perkins (Mpx’s UK distributor) that these models will be direct sales only from Mpx in Germany. They didn’t know anything about the mysterious missing listing on the Mpx site though...

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 15/08/2020 08:29:12:

Back on the website now available for ordering direct from Multiplex.

Interesting. Multiplex did not respond to my email, but they must have resolved any issue with Tangentnin order to place them on sale...

Alpina Carbotec Elektro

Antaris Carbotec Elektro

Power train and cable set accessories 

Edited By MattyB on 15/08/2020 10:46:00

Possibly! The Antaris is more practical for day to day flying and storage and a lot cheaper being based on 4S packs I already have, but I’ve wanted an Alpina since I was a kid in the 80s. Investing so much in a single airframe seems rather decadent, but being all moulded it should have a long life. Decisions decisions...

Yes the Antaris is a tempting proposition, and I like T tails as well. Another cheaper alternative is the Robbe Calima which is pretty analogous to the original Alpina - foam wings, glass fuse, 3.8m span - and it is available as an ARF and PNP. It’s a fair chunk cheaper than these models once kitted out, but the colour scheme... let’s say it’s an acquired taste! crook

Calima video (YouTube)

Edited By MattyB on 16/08/2020 13:07:34

I'd love one but the bank balance doesn't allow for that. I also looked at the Robbe Calima but in the end I decided to go for the D-Power Streamline 350. This is nothing like in the same league as the Alpina but I was after something that was heavier than my usual flat field foam and balsa esoarers for flying in a stiffer breeze for flying from the field but, could also fly on the slope on those marginal days and in a breeze up to 15 mph when my other slope soarers can then take over.

Streamline 350

The D-Power, Robbe and others share a very similar DNA with Staufenbeil - looking at the wing and fuselage junctions - and the fuselage / canopy construction . Wonder who the OEM actually is?

I think these are an affordable alternative to fully moulded airframes.

Very tempted by the Alpina. Like many, I wanted to own one since I saw Sean Bannister demo one at the Stoneleigh Show around 1984. He came off the winch at around 150 metres. Dived and reversed down the flight line inverted at great speed. Pulled up and flew a vertical 8 up to around 100 metres. Soared about a bit and then did another pass punctuated by 4 point roles and then landed. Common place now with gliders - but not then. Awesome!

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 19/08/2020 10:04:25:

I'd love one but the bank balance doesn't allow for that. I also looked at the Robbe Calima but in the end I decided to go for the D-Power Streamline 350. This is nothing like in the same league as the Alpina but I was after something that was heavier than my usual flat field foam and balsa esoarers for flying in a stiffer breeze for flying from the field but, could also fly on the slope on those marginal days and in a breeze up to 15 mph when my other slope soarers can then take over.

Very nice model, though again that colour scheme is a little laity for my tastes. I can’t help feeling they might sell more of them in white with a few small accent colours. Sounds like your needs were pretty much identical to what I am looking for, though I would like to be able to fly big air acros on big slopes too in up to 20mph. That’s why I am leaning towards the Alpina, though the Calima or D-Power would probably still do the job very well.

Edited By MattyB on 20/08/2020 13:09:22

Posted by FilmBuff on 19/08/2020 11:24:58:

The D-Power, Robbe and others share a very similar DNA with Staufenbeil - looking at the wing and fuselage junctions - and the fuselage / canopy construction . Wonder who the OEM actually is?

I think these are an affordable alternative to fully moulded airframes.

Yes, I am sure you are right and they all come from the same nameless factory somewhere in China. The
range from Staufenbiel is but a fraction of what it was before HH took them over though.

Edited By MattyB on 20/08/2020 13:28:34

Just received this from Mpx...

”Yes, you can order these models directly from MULTIPLEX.

Cost of shipping for Great Britain:

Antaris: 35 EUR (GLS)

Alpina: 125 EUR (Sudwest Express)

Accessories such as power set, cable set, servos (must be dispatched separately): abt. 13 EUR (GLS).”

Probably to be expected, but that shipping cost on the Alpina is a bit of a killer...

Edited By MattyB on 20/08/2020 13:28:14