The Alpina is back!

My refitted Alpina on Cox Tor, Dartmoor after it's remaiden 3 years ago. (If that is a word)

Owned since the late 80s or early 90s. It had a new wing early on after a fence post intrusion.

There is something about it's presence in the air.

Not a model I will ever part with.p1060348.jpg

Posted by Devcon1 on 20/08/2020 17:42:19:

My refitted Alpina on Cox Tor, Dartmoor after it's remaiden 3 years ago. (If that is a word)

Owned since the late 80s or early 90s. It had a new wing early on after a fence post intrusion.

Great site - flown a few XC comps there in the late 80s.

Posted by Devcon1 on 20/08/2020 17:42:19:

Beautiful model. This is the problem I am wrestling with... In almost every way the Antaris is a better fit for what I need (practical, easy to transport and store, great looking, T-tailed and significantly cheaper) but I still really want that Alpina presence! Your pics are not helping... wink 2

Funny you should say that Robert. We may have crossed paths as I've been doing the Dartmoor 2 Day XC for the best part of 30 years.

You must remember the likes of Fred Lacey, Sean Bannister, Bob Flood, Martin Lucas, Roger ????? always flew scale and Chris Bowles.

Posted by Devcon1 on 20/08/2020 19:24:57:

Funny you should say that Robert. We may have crossed paths as I've been doing the Dartmoor 2 Day XC for the best part of 30 years.

You must remember the likes of Fred Lacey, Sean Bannister, Bob Flood, Martin Lucas, Roger ????? always flew scale and Chris Bowles.

Yes I think our paths will have crossed.

The Roger you mention might be Roger Howe who used to run the "Runway South West" model shop in Plymouth. I remember he built a scale Grob Twin Acro that was quite big for the time.

There was also Ken Woodhouse, Bob Flood involved. Chris Bowles is still very active and I remain in touch with him. He is busy building and flying 1/3 scale gliders now he has retired.

I test flew my original Alpina from Cox Tor. Great "big" site apart from the rocks when landing. My parents moved to South Devon so I used to fly from the various local slopes when visiting.

Edited By Robert Welford on 21/08/2020 09:57:57

Edited By Robert Welford on 21/08/2020 09:58:46

Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 26/08/2020 20:02:41:
Posted by John Lee on 26/08/2020 19:25:31:

I wish you would stop that, David! My wallet is twitching. Must resist, must resist......

I know what you mean John, they’re both very tempting.

They are, but your wallet will definitely know about it, especially with the Alpina - a kit with their recommended powertrain and wiring loom is ~£1440 to get to your door, then you need servos, batteries etc. The Antaris is a more palatable £1060ish landed including powertrain, and given it uses batteries I already have I could probably complete one for about £1350. Hmmmm…

Edited By MattyB on 27/08/2020 00:39:24

Hmmm indeed! I think I'll hang on to my 30yr old Alpina Magic I seem to recall that it cost a tenth of the figures being quoted for the new one - but I did have to lash out on four Futaba 128 servos! Some of the white film isn't as white as it once was but apart from that it shows little sign of ageing.

Posted by Trevor on 27/08/2020 08:17:49:

Hmmm indeed! I think I'll hang on to my 30yr old Alpina Magic I seem to recall that it cost a tenth of the figures being quoted for the new one - but I did have to lash out on four Futaba 128 servos! Some of the white film isn't as white as it once was but apart from that it shows little sign of ageing.

Someone else suggested in the BARCS thread that the originals started out at about the £150 mark - I was disbelieving I admit, but I guess it must be true. I suspect a secondhand RTF variant in good condition such as yours would have appreciated in value considerably since then, though obviously in real terms inflation will mean you won't have made anything. Still, 30 years fun for ~£0 isn't bad value!

I suppose that's also a reflection of the construction too, back in the day it would have been a fiberglass fuselage and a set of foam veneered wings, now it's an all molded construction and the price is on par with similar sized molded gliders.

For comparison around 30 years ago I bought a Pat Teakle HP18 which was around £150, before Lasercut sailplanes couldn't get the foam veneered wings anymore I recall they were selling for around £350-400, and now the part kit, fiberglass fus and wing ribs is £250. Must get on a build the Vega kit I've been meaning to start for the last 4 years.

Yeah, for what you get and the high standard of pre-fabrication (these are made by Tomahawk Aviation who have a great reputation for quality) I don’t think they are bad value. The overall number is big, but then it’s a lot of aeroplane...

Posted by Callsign Tarnish on 29/08/2020 08:30:49:

I can speak of Tomahawk. I had one of theirs arrive yesterday and although I haven't started the assembly yet I unpacked it all to check for transport damage (none as it was very well packaged) and the quality is exceptional.

Come on you can't tease us, what is it?

• 2 weeks later...

Some pics of unboxing an Alpina from Planet-Soaring on Face-ache.... Quality looks tip top, though packaging is somewhat basic considering the value of the airframe.

After much vascillating and oscillating between the two models I have finally ordered the Antaris Carbotec Elektro today. Should be here in a week or so apparently; the build will be over on RCGroups, but I will be sure to post a few highlights here too if people are interested.

Edited By MattyB on 09/09/2020 16:59:30

Posted by Callsign Tarnish on 09/09/2020 19:33:35:

Hmmm, looking at those photos I'm not convinced about the quality for an all moulded model, and the packaging would give me real cause for concern surprise

I am sure the quality of the model will be fine - I just think they haven’t gone for razor thin TE to ensure it has a longer life. The packaging is pretty rubbish though And there was no option to upgrade it so I refused to pay by BACS as they requested and put it on a CC for added protection. They also told me on email that they would take on the task of claiming from the postal service if it was damaged in any way. Time to cross my fingers...