Is/could this be an expansion of the surveillance state

GONZO

'mini shark' UAV Well it looks like we in North Wales are getting the first deployment of large UAV's. Not just deployed in SAR situations but doing regular' safety patrols. At the weekends initially but to go 24/7 eventually. Safety patrols sounds a lot like surveillance to me. I'm just 1mile from the coast and 270ft up a hill looking over my local town at the coast. Can't say I relish the possible disturbance with this going to and fro. Next lock down they'll be on your case double quick if you go on the beach when its verboaten! Wonder how this will affect the use of the Orm ?

As a former Coastguard having an extra means of area overview for rescue incidents would be very useful.

Many of the coastal incidents I attended over the years would have to start with a search to find those in need of help as they often can not give an exact position of their whereabouts. Same goes the Mountain Rescue lads and lasses.

• 1 month later...
Posted by ken anderson. on 15/09/2020 17:51:18:

if I was in difficulty out in the water I would be over the moon to see a droid,drone of any description...

ken anderson....ne...1.....save kenny dept.

The only thing that woud get me into a helicopter would be if the alternative was dying of exposure or serious injury That my nephew was an RAF helicopter pilot (Merlins) and instructor as Shawbury didn't chnage my mind!

Geoff

The recent publication of CAP 722E: Rotary Wing Swarm Operations (Visual Line of Sight) Requirements, Guidance and Policy may indicate a future arm of the surveillance state. The CAA are obviously concerned with safe operation in the civilian sector but development of UAV swarms also has military / state actors.

A swarm of drones operating autonomously in a co-ordinated fashion was demonstrated a few years ago by the Perdix project but now work is accelerating, in the UK and abroad.