WD40

Former Member

Posted by Geoff S on 06/08/2020 21:57:26:

I used to spray it on the magneto of my motorcycles when they wouldn't start after standing out in the rain. I think WD stand for Water Displacement.

Geoff

It does, apparently it was the 40th formula that was tried

Trevor, be careful not to spray it onto printed circuit boards though, as it will be absorbed by the fibres and results in internal short circuits in tghe PCB. A friend sprayed his new and very expensive Futaba transmitter board, thinking it would help protect it in inclement weather condition, but it actually destroyed his transmitter.

I vaguely remember when WD 40 first came out that it as featured on the BBC "Tomorrow's World " program . They sprayed the insides of an electric drill then put it under water while running . Usual comment " don't try this at home" were used before the shot. Imagine that being shown on TV today? WD 40 has certainly stood the test of time and seems to be used as a generic name for penetrating maintenance sprays ; like Hoover is used for Vacuum cleaners.

A quick observation... This is a very mild mannered conversation compared to when WD40 is raised on a cycling (pedal, not motorcycling) forum. Some swear by it for degreasing and lubricating chains, others are convinced it will knacker your chain, remove all grease from your bearings, cause everything to immediately start creaking and is generally the devils work! Full on warfare has been known to break out on this topic...

Me, I use it wherever grease is not present for localised degreasing/cleaning - chains, sprockets (off the bike), suspension bushings etc, being careful not to spray anywhere near a greased bearing or brake disc. I always use a dedicated chain lube though as WD40 isn’t a very effective lubricant (chains generally start squeezing after only 30 miles).

Edited By MattyB on 07/08/2020 14:32:32

Barry, point taken about being careful where it goes as it's known to attack some rubbers and plastics. My wife's car key buttons had got very intermittent, and having been told of its switch cleaning properties I thought nothing to lose. I probably got the stuff all over the little circuit board, but it fixed the problem and 2 years later it's still fixed. Just because I got away with it doesn't mean it's harmless though.

It really does help removing old silicone, but obviously a thorough degrease is needed before applying fresh stuff.

Yep it was Rocket WD40

And Rolls-Royce used it to inhibit the Jet engines, new and overhauled before shipping/storage.

When the engine was first installed , it was cranked over and the WD40 "washed " off, If you did not it baked onto the blades and fouled them up .

I guess it was in the 70s that WD40 changed the formula , without telling RR, (why should they ??) and made it a bit more " clingy" and more water repellent , hence trying to wash it off before lighting the jets became a real pain so we turned to Ardrox .

the benefit to us peasants was there were many Gallon cans of WD going begging ! and I have only just used the last bit crying of mine

I thought that WD 40 was originally developed for the UK's Blue Streak missiles.

WD of course standing for 'War Department', as stamped on any old army surplus items you may have.

I remember my father ordering some underpants by post in the late '60s, when they arrived they were stamped 'WD 1943'. He didn't seem very impressed but it gave us all a laugh.

Posted by Doc Marten on 07/08/2020 19:00:54:

Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 07/08/2020 16:44:14:

I have a old can of WD40 and the cap is stuck on fast. What would you suggest to aid removal ? : )

6 weeks in the gym! laugh

No,its really on there. I think its seized

A hard whack on a hard surface- you'll be left with the can without a lid!! But you'll be able to press the button and use the contents!