Is this Power Supply Suitable?

I'll admit from the start that I am baffled by electric flight. I know what volts, amps and watts are but cannot understand their relevance.

I use a Hobby King X120 charger coupled to a 12 volt power supply made by an electronics engineer. Thanks Sparks! He was going to throw it out so I took it off his hands. You plug the power supply into the mains and twelve volts comes out of the other end to power the X120. That's the limit of my electrical knowledge!

The only problem with my existing Power Supply Unit is that it's rather big and heavy, and I'd like to leave another one at my partner's house for those occasions when I visit her. So my question to the cognoscenti is:

" Would this PSU Be suitable? If not why not and what would you recommend instead?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120W-12V-10A-Small-Volume-Single-12-volt-Output-Switching-power-supply/222244207461?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

All of my electric models currently use 3 or 4S LiPos and I can't see me going in for anything much bigger even thought the charger is capable of charging 6S LiPos. I'm a died in the wool i/c man really!

You profess to little electrical knowledge, but have chosen a power supply that needs to be wired up properly to the mains in a safe manner with exposed parts and a very open mesh cover. These are really designed to go inside a piece of equipment like a 3D printer which will hide the terminals and prevent access. I would also be concerned that you should have your PSU rated higher than your charger. Your charger will output 120W so you supply should be larger, 150W would be good.

For someone without electrical experience, I would suggest a proper consumer product such as Fusion charger, no worries about wiring, no concerns about safety with exposed terminals or open mesh cages. Downside is higher cost.

Hi David

I have one similar to the one you linked to, in use for many years. As Peter points out, it does come without leads, which means you have to get hold of some mains cable, plus wires and connectors to suit your charger.

However wiring one up is no different from wiring up a plug.

Unless you are really an electrical novice, should present no problem.

Note, the one I linked to has a plastic flip down cover, so a bit safer for prying fingers.The one I have (20a) has three separate 12v outputs, so possible to run three chargers simultaneously.

One word of warning.

The one I bought has a switch on the side to switch between 110v (US) and 245v (UK). Don't forget to set the right voltage, otherwise it lets out the magic smoke. Ask me how I know?

Cheers

Jeff

Posted by David Davis on 02/08/2020 20:04:47:

I'll admit from the start that I am baffled by electric flight. I know what volts, amps and watts are but cannot understand their relevance.

I use a Hobby King X120 charger coupled to a 12 volt power supply made by an electronics engineer. Thanks Sparks! He was going to throw it out so I took it off his hands. You plug the power supply into the mains and twelve volts comes out of the other end to power the X120. That's the limit of my electrical knowledge!

The only problem with my existing Power Supply Unit is that it's rather big and heavy, and I'd like to leave another one at my partner's house for those occasions when I visit her. So my question to the cognoscenti is:

" Would this PSU Be suitable? If not why not and what would you recommend instead?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120W-12V-10A-Small-Volume-Single-12-volt-Output-Switching-power-supply/222244207461?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

All of my electric models currently use 3 or 4S LiPos and I can't see me going in for anything much bigger even thought the charger is capable of charging 6S LiPos. I'm a died in the wool i/c man really!

No. It is extremely dangerous in inexperienced hands as it is designed to go inside something else. Buy a proper one from a model shop. It will also be 'partner proof', unlike that one

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 03/08/2020 04:10:32

Thank you for all of the advice gentlemen, you may well have saved me from blowing myself up.

I'll go for a combined mains-12 volt charger as recommended by Paul Marsh. Smaller, simpler and neater than the arrangement I have at home.

Edited By David Davis on 03/08/2020 07:47:27

Posted by Steve J on 03/08/2020 07:41:55:
Posted by David Davis on 02/08/2020 20:04:47:

Would this PSU Be suitable?

I am a bit shocked to see a builder such as yourself going for an Almost Ready To Use power supply . A proper aeromodeller would be hacking a refurbished HP server power supply.

Are you planning to make a nice hardwood box with some 4mm posts on the front for it?

Edited By Steve J on 03/08/2020 07:43:31

I don't know what an HP server power supply is! laugh

Servers are used in business critical applications and reliability is key - their power supplies are designed to run year in, year out and therefore use top quality design and components - and cost an arm and a leg when new. Power supplies designed for the hobby market don't.

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/08/2020 09:40:57

+1 for a server power supply.

I've been using one for years after reading an article by PDR on the RCMF forum. They're very cheap (mine was less than £20 on eBay) and are capable of delivering a lot of current at 12v (IIRC mine is 24 amps). The are mains powered and have a standard Eurolead mains connector like (say) a PC. They just need a few links made on what would be the rack connecting pins and a simple means of connecting to your charger (I've attached brackets on the top with 4mm sockets). All the soldering is on the low voltage side so safe from electical shock injury (though be aware high current supplies can make things hot without blowing a fuse!).

The only disadvatage is their rather odd shape but, overall, they're not very big.

I believe they are replaced routinely as part of maintanence procedures as they're often in critical systems hence their availability s/h

Geoff

I use a 12v supply unit from a caravan/camping shop as a spare when needed. You plug them into a mains supply either on a camp site or at home to power 12v cooler boxes. You have to remove the cigarette lighter/socket end and put suitable plugs on to fit your charger.

Also, your house insurance might be invalid if you go the Heath Robinson route. Electrical goods have a IEE rating and if this catches or causes a fire, then your house insurance will find it easy not to pay out. The OP has realized that it is best to buy a charger, and can't think or a reason why anyone would even contemplate this!!! crook

Why?

Electrical Appliances

Standard Year Description
BS 1362 1973 Specification for general purpose fuse links for domestic and similar purposes (primarily for use in plugs)
BS 1363 Parts 1 -5 1995 - 2008 13 A plugs, socket-outlets and adaptors.
BS EN (IEC) 60309, Parts 1,2, 4 1999 - 2007 Plugs, socket-outlets and couplers for industrial purposes.
BS EN 60320, Parts 1, 2 1999 - 2009 Appliance couplers for household and similar general purposes.
BS EN 60335, Many parts   Specification for safety of household and similar electrical appliances

This happened nearby when a own build/modified battery charger caught fire, insurance never paid out, lost his home and imagine how much this would cost to rectify?£60,000, for the sake of £20? 

firehouse.jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 03/08/2020 11:07:07

I'd be interested in a link to the policy documents where this was excluded. Was this a "converted" server supply or a truly home brewed charger?  I've certainly never seen a clause mentioning BS ratings...

In my personal experience, I've seen smoke produced from commercially available hobby power supplies and battery chargers but (touching wood) never from a high end server supply, of which I've used a couple of versions over the past 10 years or so.

Do you know as a fact that the power supply actually caused the fire...or was it something after the output terminals? Most, if not all server supplies will sense an overload and shut down - and they have far higher rated protection circuitry than a hobby supply - a fire in a data centre could run into many millions - before claims for loss of service from end users...

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/08/2020 12:14:00