Is this Power Supply Suitable?

Posted by EarlyBird on 06/08/2020 07:07:26:

This is a perfect example of someone with little knowledge, one assumes, selling what can only be described as a dangerous open framed PSU.

Seems perfectly compliant with most of its local regulations! devil

Posted by Steve J on 06/08/2020 08:30:45:
Posted by EarlyBird on 06/08/2020 07:07:26:

Because of this example I have come to the conclusion that the forum should not advocate using any equipment in a way and for a purpose for which it was not intended. Simply because there are people out there who are a danger to themselves.

I am glad that my ancestors didn't adopt this philosophy. "You be careful with that sharp rock!" "Why do you have to burn up your meat on the fire?"

PS Society of Model Aircraft Engineers ring any bells?

Trick is to take small enough steps each time that failure is a manageable quantity.

With some folks, diving right in with mains electricity... maybe not a 'small enough step'.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 06/08/2020 08:28:52:

Enough already

We will have nothing to read on the site with so many threads shut down

Which would those be?

If the comment was aimed at me, then you are clearly putting your own interpretation on what I have said.

That, too, seems to be a common issue.

Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 06/08/2020 00:21:51:

For clarity, should any doubts remain about my own views on the matter, in this thread I was merely querying the relevance of such discussion (thread drift) to the question raised by the OP, who was merely asking for advice as to whether or not a specific PSU, which he identified with a link, would be suitable for HIM, as someone with little electrical knowledge.

Sorry Kieth, but that's not wholly true.

The OP asked why the specific PSU might or might not be suitable & for any recommended alternative(s).

Quote - " Would this PSU Be suitable? If not why not and what would you recommend instead?

**LINK**"

A post that included a false scare story, apparently in order to discredit the suggested alternative, muddied further sensible discussion.

Edited By PatMc on 06/08/2020 10:06:34

Edited By PatMc on 06/08/2020 10:07:36

Posted by PatMc on 06/08/2020 10:05:41:

For clarity, should any doubts remain about my own views on the matter, in this thread I was merely querying the relevance of such discussion (thread drift) to the question raised by the OP, who was merely asking for advice as to whether or not a specific PSU, which he identified with a link, would be suitable for HIM, as someone with little electrical knowledge.

The OP asked why the specific PSU might or might not be suitable & for any recommended alternative(s).

Quote - " Would this PSU Be suitable? If not why not and what would you recommend instead?

Sorry, Pat, he also made it clear that his knowledge was limited. You, and a few others, are assuming (yes, that word again) that he fully understood exactly what it was that he was looking at and there is no evidence to suggest that he did but, if anything, quite the reverse as he later confirmed.

Furthermore, as has been said, a “recommended alternative”, in this case, therefore, was probably not a modified or “home brew” PSU nor did that specific suggestion come from the OP.

And as for the “why not” in the above quote, I think that point was covered by early responders until the advocates of modified/home brews took over the thread, and causing the OP’s “eyes to mist over”.

Blaming the OP is disingenuous and totally unfair and some of us probably understood why he left when he did even if others still haven’t grasped it, refuse to accept it or are choosing to ignore it.

I'm quite happy that David took advice not to mess with a potentially hazardous and probably low quality power supply and went off to buy a commercially available mains powered charger, with the caveat that many of this type are fakes and he does need to check that it is not one.

David most certainly asked for suggested alternatives and to be fair to the advocates of server PSUs, these are very high quality units and there is no involvement with the mains side when doing a conversion - the case doesn't need altering or opening and the modifications are to the low voltage output and control connections on equipment that is very well protected internally against over-current and temperature situations.

If the advice had been to modify the PSU internally or use equipment such as the original query was about then I would have immediately jumped in with advice not to do it but several people came on with very good advice.

It saddens me when people with different viewpoints can't discuss them rationally as happened earlier in this thread. I'm quite happy to have my opinion questioned and always willing to consider different viewpoints - sometimes learning something along the way!

Edited By Martin Harris on 06/08/2020 12:58:23

In my opinion the forum would be a poorer place if every question was answered in a concise manner with no further discussion. As for catering to the lowest common denominator, what happened to the desire to expand ones abilities and knowledge? Safety issues have been highlighted throughout this thread, perhaps a little theatrically at times, but they are there.

I know we're all suffering from covid-enhanced anxiety but how about a little give and take being shown?

Just to further muddy the waters, I have had two 4 button chargers (both from one well known UK electric flight supplier) both with built in 80W AC supplies.

Both were supplied with a very poorly made and undersized PSUs which failed. The units claimed to be 80W but having seen branded laptop 50W supplies which were far larger and heavier I struggle to believe the claims on the PSU. And these were not particularly cheap units.

With a quality branded laptop supply they continued functioning... until the output FETs failed (catastrophically) in one case, and on the other, the screen or CPU died...

I don’t think anyone was suggesting that all ready built items were without fault.

Nor do I think that anyone was suggesting that “home brews” or modified units were, necessarily, a bad idea. In fact, on the contrary, recycling or re-use, whenever possible, has to be better than widespread scrapping of perfectly functional equipment.

My only observation, and that of others, was whether or not the thread had drifted away from the initial subject and whether or not some responses were appropriate to the question that was being asked by the OP.

On those points, perhaps we should, at least, be able to agree to disagree without it descending into, to put it as diplomatically as I can, somewhat ill judged or inappropriate responses to opinions expressed or comments made.

That said, if it was a perfect world, we wouldn’t need moderators!

😊

Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 06/08/2020 12:17:04:
Posted by PatMc on 06/08/2020 10:05:41:

The OP asked why the specific PSU might or might not be suitable & for any recommended alternative(s).

" Sorry, Pat, he also made it clear that his knowledge was limited."

David did make it clear that his "electrical knowledge" was limited but no such knowledge is required to enable the server PSU mentioned to be made suitable for his stated purpose.

"You, and a few others, are assuming (yes, that word again) that he fully understood exactly what it was that he was looking at and there is no evidence to suggest that he did but, if anything, quite the reverse as he later confirmed."

I made no assumptions.

"Furthermore, as has been said, a “recommended alternative”, in this case, therefore, was probably not a modified or “home brew” PSU ..."

That is your assumption.

"...nor did that specific suggestion come from the OP"

Nor did the OP rule out a "home brew" PSU. But of course the server PSU suggested is not a home brew device and in his final post in the thread David stated "If I were put my mind to it, I daresay that I could wire up a PSU, I don't lack skill or intelligence, but neither am I short of £30."

"And as for the “why not” in the above quote, I think that point was covered by early responders until the advocates of modified/home brews took over the thread, and causing the OP’s “eyes to mist over”.

That's another assumption you are making.
It is just as likely that David lost interest due to the arguments that resulted from the contrived scare story.

"Blaming the OP is disingenuous and totally unfair ..."

Who is blaming the OP ? what is being blamed for ? why is it disingenuous ? who are you suggesting is being disingenuous ?

"...and some of us probably understood why he left when he did even if others still haven’t grasped it, refuse to accept it or are choosing to ignore it."

That's another two assumptions you make.

It seems to have escaped your attention that up to now I have made no recommendation one way or the other in response to David's request. My previous post merely pointed out the inaccuracy contained in your previous rather silly and pompous post.

Good God!

I thought this was a friendly forum where people exchange ideas and helped one another out. Rarely have I seen such petty bickering and point-scoring, especially after a mod has already had a word.

Don't be surprised if RCM&E decide to pull the plug on the whole forum (I've seen it happen once before) if this is the way some people intend to behave, they don't have to provide a forum, it's a privilege that shouldn't be abused.

The weather's going to be nice, go flying, get in the workshop or take a chill pill, whatever. This has gone on far too long .

Back to lurking and reading the interesting informative posts.

TP