Is this Power Supply Suitable?

Jumped pinsConverted psuPosted by Geoff S on 03/08/2020 10:38:49:

+1 for a server power supply.

I've been using one for years after reading an article by PDR on the RCMF forum. They're very cheap (mine was less than £20 on eBay) and are capable of delivering a lot of current at 12v (IIRC mine is 24 amps). The are mains powered and have a standard Eurolead mains connector like (say) a PC. They just need a few links made on what would be the rack connecting pins and a simple means of connecting to your charger (I've attached brackets on the top with 4mm sockets). All the soldering is on the low voltage side so safe from electical shock injury (though be aware high current supplies can make things hot without blowing a fuse!).

The only disadvatage is their rather odd shape but, overall, they're not very big.

I believe they are replaced routinely as part of maintanence procedures as they're often in critical systems hence their availability s/h

Geoff

Plus one on the server route. Did mine a few year ago.... patmac on this forum brought an example to a club night and I made mine thereafter. Just a few pins to jump and jobs a good unyes

I can attest to the dangers of unattended LiPo charging. A friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us was giving a Lipo that was still in the airplane a top up charge before flying. He was distracted by a telephone call when he returned to the garage the whole place was an inferno. He lost the house and everything in it. As far as I'm aware the rebuild and contents were covered by insurance. It couldn't be established what the exact cause but in all probability it had to be the battery, charger or PSU.

I've done a couple of HP server PSU conversions. You can use the sockets from an old Futaba-style servo plug for shorting the PSU connector block pins. You can short another 2 pins to reduce the fan speed and short yet another 2 through a small variable pot to vary the voltage up to about 13.5V (gets a bit unstable after that. Well worth doing

I understand everyone is trying to help but shocked that as the OP said his electrical knowledge was close to zero he is still being encouraged to go the DIY route. All for the sake of what - £20 ?

If you have the knowledge and are comfortable adapting electrical equipment for your use, and can do so safely, great.

The OP, by his own admission doesn't, and encouraging him to do so is irresponsible and I'm frankly surprised some members of this excellent forum keep suggesting what for him could be a potentially dangerous solution.

TP

Gentlemen, gentlemen please! Thank you for all of your advice but the thread has moved on into areas which cause my eyes to start misting over!

I have already ordered the charger recommended by Paul Marsh and asked for it to be delivered to my partner's house. **LINK**

If I were put my mind to it, I daresay that I could wire up a PSU, I don't lack skill or intelligence, but neither am I short of £30. What I do lack is enthusiasm for electric flight generally. I understand its advantages, I use a foamie electric powered trainer with which I teach beginners, I am also building a double size Vic Smeed Tomboy which will be powered by an electric motor but I much prefer to spend my time with i/c enginers, noise, slime and all.

Having bought this charger which may be powered either from the mains or from a 12 Volt source I will have my own PSU and charger here at my home in France and another charger at my partner's house in Somerset. I did not want to lumber her with the potential mess of glow fuel after all she lives in rented accomodation. She is keen to learn how to build and how to fly. She's already a whizz on the simulator and we plan to build a Ben Buckle Keil Kraft Super 60 together.

Posted by Test Pilot on 03/08/2020 18:35:46:

I understand everyone is trying to help but shocked that as the OP said his electrical knowledge was close to zero he is still being encouraged to go the DIY route. All for the sake of what - £20 ?

If you have the knowledge and are comfortable adapting electrical equipment for your use, and can do so safely, great.

The OP, by his own admission doesn't, and encouraging him to do so is irresponsible and I'm frankly surprised some members of this excellent forum keep suggesting what for him could be a potentially dangerous solution.

TP

I agree 100%.

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 03/08/2020 21:55:03:

... The OP, by his own admission doesn't, and encouraging him to do so is irresponsible and I'm frankly surprised some members of this excellent forum keep suggesting what for him could be a potentially dangerous solution.

TP

I agree 100%.

Read the OP again. If he just wanted a 'plug and play' PSU, I'm sure he would just have asked for recommendations for a commercial unit.

But despite professing limited knowledge, he was actually himself proposing to follow a 'DIY' route and to that end specifically asked: Would this PSU Be suitable? If not why not and what would you recommend instead?

Told it probably was not (rightly, IMV), he was directed by others and myself to a far safer and proven DIY solution!

Thread ongoing...

Wot Mike said...

A word of warning - the link posted could very well be to a cheap knock off. There should really be a warning to anyone contemplating buying one to check carefully and satisfy themselves that they have a genuine one - the manufacturer of the original one has a serial number check on their website as the internet is awash with fakes, some of which are very bad both from an electrical safety aspect and poor control of charging regimes.

In contrast, I'm unaware of the existence (although it in this day and age it wouldn't totally surprise me if there are some) of fake server PSUs - but there's certainly less chance of buying something that hasn't been designed and built to a very high standard.

Posted by Mike T on 03/08/2020 23:48:37:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 03/08/2020 21:55:03:

... The OP, by his own admission doesn't, and encouraging him to do so is irresponsible and I'm frankly surprised some members of this excellent forum keep suggesting what for him could be a potentially dangerous solution.

TP

I agree 100%.

Read the OP again. If he just wanted a 'plug and play' PSU, I'm sure he would just have asked for recommendations for a commercial unit.

But despite professing limited knowledge, he was actually himself proposing to follow a 'DIY' route and to that end specifically asked: Would this PSU Be suitable? If not why not and what would you recommend instead?

Told it probably was not (rightly, IMV), he was directed by others and myself to a far safer and proven DIY solution!

Thread ongoing...

His reasons for wanting a 'DIY' solution are unknown, at least to me. His initial thought was a power supply with exposed ~220 volt connections, but wiser counsel suggested a purpose built model plane supply or complete charger, which he purchased.

That some proposed their computer supply hobbyhorses is fine to continue, provided it doesn't have even the slightest potential to upset the paying advertisers of course

Where's my popcorn gone? I do love a good hobbyhorse to go with my fanboys!

Just to add - similar units to the OP are often sold as LED drivers, I tried one as a PS for charging and it lasted about a week despite being used well below it's rated output. My current converted server PS will happily pump out it's rated 34A all day long.

Posted by Doc Marten on 04/08/2020 10:50:52:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 04/08/2020 08:29:40:
......... but wiser counsel suggested a purpose built model plane supply or complete charger, which he purchased.

That some proposed their computer supply hobbyhorses is fine to continue, provided it doesn't have even the slightest potential to upset the paying advertisers of course

Do you actually go out of your way to come across as pompous or is it completely involuntary?

How would us unwise council with our dangerous, Heath Robinson, badly constructed hobbyhorses upset the paying advertisers of the site or is this another dog whistle attempt to alert a Mod to intervene and close the thread?

Steady on there! did I not see a “smiley” in that post? I don’t know Richard, personally, but I hardly think that he deserved such a seemingly assumptive response in an open forum.

And I tend to agree with him and several others that the thread drift in this case might be fine for those with the necessary knowledge and experience to have their own debate but the OP clearly stated his lack of knowledge which some do seem to have failed to take sufficiently into account.

Indeed, some readers (including the OP, perhaps?) might view the thread drift itself as somewhat self indulgent and pompous!

I am a retired installation electrician and there is much that I don’t know, especially about electronics, but I have developed a very cautious approach whenever straying into unfamiliar territory and, as most of us know, inherent danger is not confined to mains electricity, something which is not universally appreciated or understood as numerous nasty incidents would seem to confirm.

I am also reminded of the phrases “a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing” and “familiarity breeds contempt”.

That said, it does seem that the OP has made the correct decision and has, hopefully, learnt something!