Is this Power Supply Suitable?

In a thread entitled "Is this Power Supply Suitable?", why is discussing the specific power supply referenced in the OP and the (safer) alternatives to it, considered "thread drift"?

I'm glad now I didn't offer up my "hacking an ATX power supply to get 5, 12, 17 and 24 volts" solution... cheeky

I admit that “thread drift” is commonplace, understandable and often informative but sometimes it seems to take on the form of a hijack.

No offence intended.

I also know many people who avoid social media and forums (including this one) as they find certain behaviour and comments on such platforms somewhat unpleasant and very rarely apologetic.

Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 04/08/2020 20:01:03:

I admit that “thread drift” is commonplace, understandable and often informative but sometimes it seems to take on the form of a hijack.

No offence intended.

I also know many people who avoid social media and forums (including this one) as they find certain behaviour and comments on such platforms somewhat unpleasant and very rarely apologetic.

Forum are fun. One of the 'server' power supply advocates has started a thread on them with an instruction that the thread must not drift, as they themselves caused this one to do .

Posted by Doc Marten on 05/08/2020 00:14:17:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 05/08/2020 00:04:33:

Forum are fun. One of the 'server' power supply advocates has started a thread on them with an instruction that the thread must not drift, as they themselves caused this one to do .

Just as I implied I would at 14:36.

Nope, not surprisingly you're wrong again, I asked to keep advice to "buy ready made" out of it as that's not why it was created, you have this one for that which actually started by asking for advice on a DIY PSU! laugh

Easy to be precise isn't it. You're more than welcome to drift on there if you wish to though.

BTW, your posts are not secret you know, anyone, including me can read them.

Do keep up old bean.

Edited By Doc Marten on 05/08/2020 00:39:28

We soon changed his mind though didn't we? So not wrong at all ,

Posted by Doc Marten on 05/08/2020 09:56:44:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 05/08/2020 01:42:21:

We soon changed his mind though didn't we? So not wrong at all ,

Quite so.

For reasons of convenience over ability or safety. Time will be the deciding factor of wrong or right if that's what is really important to you. sad

It isn't really a right or wrong as we aren't trying to 'win' anything.

Ability. If it meets his (& her) needs it's 'able'. A 'neat' single box appearance may be part of its 'ability'.

Safety. Most of them, server power supplies included, are made in China, which may or may not have quality implications. The EU-required CE mark is 'self-certified' by the manufacturer wherever the article come from. so it means damn all.

Me? I use a cheap and cheerful 20 Amp Ripmax 'Power Peak' power supply that I purchased 19 years ago as it was available at the local model shop, which is why I bought it. It still works fine. Sometimes I also use a 16 amp unregulated and unsmoothed car battery charger. Being unsmoothed it makes the (Thunder Power or Astro Flight) charger display flicker but it doesn't matter. I also charge on the field, sometimes with and sometimes without the car engine running.

We modellers fuss too much. Every time a new battery chemistry comes out we fuss again. The fuss dies down eventually.

Posted by David Davis on 03/08/2020 19:45:43:

Gentlemen, gentlemen please! Thank you for all of your advice but the thread has moved on into areas which cause my eyes to start misting over!

I have already ordered the charger recommended by Paul Marsh and asked for it to be delivered to my partner's house. **LINK*

Just a reminder of what the OP himself said about thread drift for those who might have missed it.

Hence my comment about “hijacking”and self-indulgence.

Hey, ho.

Posted by Doc Marten on 05/08/2020 11:45:11:
Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 05/08/2020 11:12:01:

Just a reminder of what the OP himself said about thread drift for those who might have missed it.

Hey, ho.

Nobody has to read it Keith, the "Block member" button is a useful facility. Acting as a self appointed Mod is also, "self indulgent" don't you think?

Let it continue, these things have a habit of providing useful information eventually. We have 2 threads running now, one pro server PSU and this pro ready made PSU, between the two, forum members should be able to make a decision and post were appropiate if need be.

Edited By Doc Marten on 05/08/2020 12:04:34

“Self appointed Mod”?

“Block member”?

Dear, oh dear.

Methinks some people take things, and themselves, too seriously and I refer to my earlier comments about why many people stay away from social media and forums.

wink

Come on, folks. I thought we'd long got past the need for the forum mods to 'nanny' people - we try to avoid it if possible, as most of you well know. However, when the arguments become personal then we have no alternative but to intervene.

There's clearly a difference of opinion on this subject - those who won't countenance any modification of 240v equipment and those who see it as a useful and interesting project. Those who urge caution have made their point adequately, I believe. If others choose to ignore your sage advice, that's up to them - you've done your bestsmile

One would hope that those who are tempted to make the modifications do so knowing that they are responsible for their own actions and if they get bitten, then they have themselves - and only themselves - to blame. If you don't know your own limitations then don't take the chance, I would say, and scroll past the subject.

I think we have to give most members the credit for being able to make their own judgement on many issues every day. This is just another decision for individuals.

Thanks - and play nicely!

Pete

Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 05/08/2020 12:43:00:
Posted by Doc Marten on 05/08/2020 11:45:11:
Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 05/08/2020 11:12:01:

Hey, ho.

Nobody has to read it Keith, the "Block member" button is a useful facility. Acting as a self appointed Mod is also, "self indulgent" don't you think?

Let it continue, these things have a habit of providing useful information eventually. We have 2 threads running now, one pro server PSU and this pro ready made PSU, between the two, forum members should be able to make a decision and post were appropiate if need be.

Edited By Doc Marten on 05/08/2020 12:04:34

“Self appointed Mod”?

“Block member”?

Dear, oh dear.

Methinks some people take things, and themselves, too seriously and I refer to my earlier comments about why many people stay away from social media and forums.

wink

I would never block anyone. You learn far more from people who disagree with you than you do from those who say 'yes' all the time.

Sometimes things get heated. So what? We are not spoilt five year olds or a herd of sheep. We are grown ups who still play with toy planes

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 05/08/2020 17:39:23

I think making your own power supply is really dangerous. It's much safer to buy one of these

scary PSU

crying

Shocking.

I guess ultimately some people are happy messing around with mains voltage electricity and others aren't.

I think the server PSU mod is very low risk as the mains side is just a standard PC / kettle lead. The only downside is some sound like a jumbo taking off!!! I must admit I like the hot glue mod though, I've always been somewhat unhappy with the aesthetic of the exposed PCB pads and dangling low voltage leads.

Actually, probably the biggest risk with that style of PSU is a badly made UK mains plug with a partially sleeved earth plug (which should never be the case). Many cheap plugs (with semi sleeved earths) actually lose their earthing connection when you push them in fully. Not exactly great in a metal chassis PSU. My Imax B6 charger PSU has such a plug and when I touch the metal case I get a not so subtle but not unpleasant buzzing from my finger (50hz).....

Posted by Ben B on 05/08/2020 17:38:46:

I think making your own power supply is really dangerous. It's much safer to buy one of these

scary PSU

crying

Shocking.

I guess ultimately some people are happy messing around with mains voltage electricity and others aren't.

I think the server PSU mod is very low risk as the mains side is just a standard PC / kettle lead. The only downside is some sound like a jumbo taking off!!! I must admit I like the hot glue mod though, I've always been somewhat unhappy with the aesthetic of the exposed PCB pads and dangling low voltage leads.

Actually, probably the biggest risk with that style of PSU is a badly made UK mains plug with a partially sleeved earth plug (which should never be the case). Many cheap plugs (with semi sleeved earths) actually lose their earthing connection when you push them in fully. Not exactly great in a metal chassis PSU. My Imax B6 charger PSU has such a plug and when I touch the metal case I get a not so subtle but not unpleasant buzzing from my finger (50hz).....

There ya go. A power supply intended to work with a charger that has fully exposed high voltage connectors and a plug that doesn't fit UK sockets.

QED.

I thought this thread was ended and that another had been started on the subject of home brewed or modified PSUs.

For clarity, should any doubts remain about my own views on the matter, in this thread I was merely querying the relevance of such discussion (thread drift) to the question raised by the OP, who was merely asking for advice as to whether or not a specific PSU, which he identified with a link, would be suitable for HIM, as someone with little electrical knowledge.

After being initially advised by several contributors, based on that information, to purchase a purpose made unit instead and after stating that he was doing so and indicating that subsequent posts were causing his eyes “to start misting over”, he left the discussion, his business having been concluded.

It seems that my observation about ongoing thread drift may, for some reason, have not been taken in the spirit that it was intended and I apologise if that was not made sufficiently clear and misconstrued.

That said, I also have no problem with those who either modify or “home brew” items of equipment whether or not they have the expertise to do so. Ultimately, we are each responsible for our own choices.

As others said, though, we do have to be careful about advice we give to others who might not be as confident or as knowledgeable as others in this forum might be, or are.

And if anyone finds this post in any way offensive or provocative, then I sincerely apologise again, and give up!

Take care y’all.

Edited By Keith Miles 2 on 06/08/2020 00:33:44

KM2,

I appreciate your well thought out post.

Of particular concern to me is that as this is an open forum we have no knowledge of the abilities and have no control over the recipient of the advice given here.

Ben B

This is a perfect example of someone with little knowledge, one assumes, selling what can only be described as a dangerous open framed PSU.

Because of this example I have come to the conclusion that the forum should not advocate using any equipment in a way and for a purpose for which it was not intended. Simply because there are people out there who are a danger to themselves.

Cheers beer

Steve

EarlyBird,

Many thanks for that. Your comments are very much appreciated.

I do also realise that “thread drift” is often difficult to avoid and sometimes, indeed, helpful.

The thing we need to bear in mind, however, in the first instance, is whether or not our contributions will be helpful to the OP, or less so, in the context of the thread title and the question raised and, when it isn’t, whether it might be more appropriate to consider starting a new thread under a more appropriate heading, especially when the OP has clearly become disengaged!

And I would hope that we can all agree that we have a responsibility not to make assumptions about someone else’s knowledge or capabilities especially where safety issues are involved.

Edited By Keith Miles 2 on 06/08/2020 08:24:49