Avro Avian

Martian

Hi Martian, I think a lot of the magazine plans are faulty I have built a few and they don't match up in places, This can be addressed easily sometimes and others are just to far out to even attempt starting. I have not seen the Avion plan as the local newsagent has closed down ( I will have to start subscribing) but are the fuselage sections shown? it may be possible to work it out from them.

Yes Eric the formers are shown but to be honest it took my fancy as a straightforward build without any head aches and that it's not ,I was just delaying starting my Tigercat project which I think will be a minimum 12 months work so to today I,m getting some plans (Bob Smith plans) reduced to 1/10th from 1/6th ,I was going to build it at the plan size and that is a 103" wingspan but I came to my senses 😏

You have the formers drawn so you don't really need a plan. If you really want one then draw a straight line on your building board and transfer the former positions from the side view. Draw the width at these points from the formers, connect the dots and you have your plan view. True outlines for the U/C would have helped but simple geometry with just a pair of compasses will give the true lengths of the legs. An hours leisurely work with a pencil and your in business.

It all depends how much you want to build it.

Thanks Bob you are right it's not insurmountable none of it is . You are also right about how much I want to build it maybe I will in some future date . It is a pity though free plan or not it is not wholly fit for purpose. Anyway the flame has gone out and been relit under the Tigercat 😏

Edited By Martian on 12/08/2020 12:36:15

One of our club members has an FMS Tigercat looks great in the air but a lot of money for a block of foam and cheap electrics. One of the under carriage legs was not glued in very well and pulled out on landing he has since secured it and it is now ok. Looking forward to your build Martian.

How about 62" Bob mines going to be electric should be the same power set up as Tony Nijuis Mossie.

Eric the FMS Tigercat is the one that whetted my appetite but couldn't bring myself to commit £500 plus to a foam model however nice it is. Anyway, the plan set is with printers to reduce from 103" to 62" 7 sheets in all. There is not a plan below 103" to be had anywhere.

• 3 months later...

Just a thought.

There are two excellent Avro Avian biplane plans on Outerzone. If you print either of these plans at the size (wingspan) that you are building, then things like undercarriage leg patterns, etc. should be the same. Just tile printing (only the plan zone required) on a home PC would be perfectly OK.

Edited By brokenenglish on 06/12/2020 08:15:48

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is slow..... but moving forwards.

I am finding that there are questions rather than directions on the plan but it keeps me thinking.......

20201220_211055.jpg

Anyway, with the stabiliser built and rudder and wing under way, I'm starting to wonder about what I should use as a covering material. I've only used Solarfilm before. The plane in the article used Sig Koverall and I have no experience using that.

I'm happy to follow suit but thoughts anyone......

I like making laminated parts.

20201205_142201.jpg

Especially when they turn out OK (except for one small crease).

20201224_002509.jpg

Now back to the wing, to add the aileron cross members, 1/16" sheeting to R1 & R2 and sand/plane to the finish profile.... then make three more !

One thing I have noticed. At the moment the wing seems to flex a bit.

20201223_215959.jpg

Great work Andy. How did you get the ribs so perfect. The rectangle for the spar put me off. I’m also having a go at the Avian. Though I’m modifying the build to simplify. Used top and bottom front spars and sheeted in the D section above and below. The structure is fairly rigid. Have the top wings built and plan to start on the bottom wings tomorrow. Currently building a nose section out of sheet balsa. Will try to attach a photo below.

Looking good, Charlie.

You have a plane..... I have parts of a plane - I'm going much slower.

I think that once I've created a servo tray in each lower wing (servos on their way to me), I'll switch to making the fuselage.

The bit I'm not looking forward to is the nose. I've already decided to eliminate the protruding engine. Have you created it from balsa rather than glass fibre ?

What have you covered the tailplane with ?

Edited By Andy Hall on 03/01/2021 21:56:28

Hi Andy. I have used Oracover for the tail. Rest of the fuselage will be dark blue. Wings same as the tail. I plan to mimic a 5 cylinder radial protruding on the nose. I’m sort of copying a photo I have seen of the first aircraft to be put on the Irish register EI-AAA. It had such a motor. Nose is built up of balsa sheet. Planed, sanded and gouged out inside to lighten.

Avian packing for nose

Avian Balsa Nose