acrowot XT engine

Roy Neil 1

I was going to get a 30cc 4 stroke petrol engine for the acrowaot XT I am building but have been told that it would be far too much power and too heavy. I am considering a Saito 21cc 4 stroke petrol engine. I don't want a glow fuel engine. Can anybody give me some advice please.

Posted by brokenenglish on 19/08/2020 12:14:41:

Respectfully, I find it strange that people assemble planes without knowing what engine they can use.

I suspect his confusion comes from having one thing written on the box and being told something much smaller is required. Frankly, the suggestion of 20cc is just straight up wrong.

That said, when customers call me in search of X engine for Y model in at least 50% of cases i recommend something else and its usually smaller.

In the case of the AWXL, a 25cc glow 4 stroke is the smallest i would use. The saito 20cc petrol is no powerhouse so its off the table in my view. Equally, the NGH38 (which i suspect Bob is using) is nowhere near as powerful as a 30cc 4 stroke (petrol or glow) from another brand so its not always easy to work this stuff out.

I have a 3W 28i petrol in my Acro Wot XL. It is more than adequately powered. The CofG came out just right with 2 elevators servos (Savox SC-1252MG) in the tail.

Out of interest: what propellers are people using - particularly on the 2-stroke petrol powered XLs?

I used a Biela 19 x 8 for the first few flights, but it wasn't a good match. Changed to Mejzlik 18x11 (because I had one) which performed very well in the air, but it was difficult to reduce speed for landing.

Edited By Robert Welford on 19/08/2020 15:09:20

Edited By Robert Welford on 19/08/2020 15:11:02

Well, the NGH 38 was no powerhouse but it could definitely turn a bigger prop than my ASP 180FS so maybe it was a good one. I'd have put it as equivalent to a cooking 30 two stroke. I was thinking of putting a DLE 40 twin in it but gave up the bigger stuff before I got around to it. I suspect the sweet spot would be a DLE 35, or a Laser 200 V twinface 1