RAAF Avon Sabre

Not much progress to report I’m afraid. Over the last three to four months I have developed what I’m now told is a “frozen shoulder”. It can be quite painful and as the name suggests some movements with that arm are quite restricted.

Its my right shoulder and I’m right handed so some modelling activities have been difficult.

So I have spent a fair bit of time tracking down some things online that will help with the build. The photos in the blogs have been very helpful in showing some tools and techniques that may not necessarily be described in the words in the blogs and they have given me a number of ideas.

I decided to build the fuselage first. So I’ve been looking at how I’ll cut the balsa sheets into strips for the stringers and the planking. I inherited such a device that my father had made some time ago. I’ve been modifying it, more on that soon.

I check the blogs every day, thank you to those who are posting, as a novice it is very helpful.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I’d like to acknowledge the recent help, great customer service and generosity of Steve Davis at Vortex when I ordered my canopy.

The response to my email and then dispatching the order was very fast however the postal services were not so responsive. After four weeks I let Steve know that the canopy hadn’t arrived and could he chase it at his end which he promptly did and was told to give it another week. Straight away and without asking me he gave me a refund and also explained how he had given me a significant discount due to the high cost of mailing the canopy to Australia.

I said that I wanted to bear some of the cost however Steve didn’t want to do that.

Lo and behold the canopy did turn up a week later and I asked Steve to set up another payment for me which he refused to do and said to treat it as an early Christmas present!

If I wasn’t nervous enough thinking about cutting it and attaching it to the fuselage I will be even more so now.

This is how it arrived, there were four “Fragile” stickers on the box, it looks like it went one and a half times around the world rather than just half way (noting that I did cut the tape on the top of the box to open it). The canopy was in perfect condition though! Thanks again Steve.

canopy box.jpg

Posted by Skip on 05/12/2020 00:38:45:

Re the above post:

Neglected to say that Steve told me that he gave me the discount on the price to offset the high mailing costs "only because the canopy was produced for the PSSA UK Mass Build".

Steve is very good to us like that, he does a lot of work to support our PSSA activities!! Great stuff!

• 3 months later...

Very interesting, Skip; thanks for finding that video, and thanks to Paul Stewart for making it.

The running commentary about the CAC Sabre's history is fascinating, and the tail end pics look almost as good as my model!! I've not yet decided how to model the tail lights, but I am noting carefully how other builders have done it.