NEW POLL - has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

The pandemic has continued to defy my pessimistic guesses.

I had thought that by Christmas 2020, we would be at the end of the effects of the virus. How wrong it became obvious by some time in Autumn. At first i though it was all a blip, noise in the reporting or some other aspect. Then it became almost certain there was some other trend. I remember that one NW Mayor saying they should be spared restrictions of tightening lock-down, as the areas cases were reducing. Although never commented upon, he was so wrong. On that basis I do not feel to bad, as a Nostradamus.

Now I do not see any Major public events before August, generally past most Aeromodelling Public Events, in 2021.

Although I do not attend these events now, as they are a bit to far from where I now live, I know many do, and are a major part of keeping Aeromodelling an active movement.

Now my major concern is that some of these events will never again be held, much to the industries detriment as well as us modelers. The demise of Woodvale, is much regretted and remebered by many in the NW of England. I expect that reason then given was finding a small amount of Asbestos in one building. I can see the barrier is not just a site, it is the shear amount of work in organising such events, probably starting a whole year before the next scheduled event. Which is a real load if on a voluntary basis. More often than not, once cancelled, for what ever reason, they never run again.

The real worry in my mind that there will not be a clearly defined end to the pandemic. In part due to the world wide aspect of the problem and the ever changing threat, that suddenly appear out of the blue. In such circumstances, what becomes a clear issue, does not necessarily appear so initially.

In such circumstances, there will be many changes to Public Health, Governmental Policy and a lot of apprehension in particularly some sections of the community.

I cannot imagine a whole day with a mask on, on a hot summers day, socially distancing from others, waiting to gain meaningful access to a traders tent, or tables, due to the other punters. Watching and seeing models via binoculars, to get that 2m distance from others. In particular I need to sit down at a table with my beer and sandwich, as do hundreds of other drunks.

Yes I do miss Greenacres, where I would see and meet many of others from this site, and realise that they were ordinary guys as most of us are. Even the non modeling Cosford Battle of Britain type event, are missed for similar reasons.

Yet I would be surprised that 2022 is the first possible date to see what is re-instated then I will be really old, and probably will travel less, than even now.

Edited By Erfolg on 17/01/2021 13:08:18

Going on the complete lack of learning from experience that we have seen by the public and government I can not envisage a 2021 where any shows will be allowed to go ahead, or indeed should be allowed to go ahead.

So, while the danger of infection at an outdoor event is probably less than going into your local supermarket, do you really want to arguably be part of the problem rather than the solution?

All this talk of "getting back to normal" makes me laugh. We now live in a world with Covid. This IS now the norm, all we can do is mitigate the effects and hope the vaccinations don't get cocked up.

LHA, I do wonder what it will be like, when normality is established.

I accept we now live with Flu, in my case having an annual injection. At present Covid seems more of a problem, for us oldens. Will vaccines bring the risk level down to a similar level as flew? Before the Flu vaccine, I think the number of us old ones dying from it was much lower.

The economic damage also seems massive, not just in the UK, in much of Europe, it seems similar. The UK in particular felt the impact of WW2, for many, many years post WW2. In that case some was a consequence of becoming a post empire state.. It could be hard times ahead

Education within Europe and particularly the UK and Germany did recover after 6 years of war, so I am encouraged in that respect..

My main concern is that the trade benefits from shows, as well as us punters. For the organisers, it is a lot of work, they have to work for them as well. I would be surprised if any fortunes are made by the organisers, at present it is probably cash out, with no immediate prospect of getting it back. Yes, I am pessimistic, in that in my region I have seen events disappear, rather than new ones appearing and then staying the course.

Posted by Erfolg on 17/01/2021 15:01:04:

The economic damage also seems massive, not just in the UK, in much of Europe, it seems similar. The UK in particular felt the impact of WW2, for many, many years post WW2. In that case some was a consequence of becoming a post empire state.. It could be hard times ahead

Certainly the economic damage is great but it's world-wide so it doen't put any country at a huge disadvantage compared to the rest. I'm not sure if that helps but it must be better than a huge hit just to one.

The worst is the way it's affected those who were already struggling and can't afford to self-isolate - a choice between staying Covid free and eating isn't one I''d like to make. Others, billionaires in particular, have seen their wealth massively increase. Because we haven't been anywhere for months we're better off than we wuld have been so our problems are mental rather than financial - fortunately my wife of 53 years and I still get on pretty well

Geoff

Normally I won't travel far to shows, but living in the W.Midlands I don't have to. Realistically I reckon Weston Park is unlikely to go ahead, nor Cosford this year but like Cymaz I think we might be in with a chance for Much Marcle. I just hope that Cocklebarrow Farm ( numerically a very small event with no commercial presence ) and Greenacres might be going ahead. OK, face covering will probably be mandatory, as it is at the moment iin most places, and I think the majority now regard it as good manners anyway. 

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 18/01/2021 10:07:12

Increasingly I am forming an opinion that Covid will be around for a long time. It seems to mutate just like other viruses that ensures that it always around in some form. Probably requiring a repeated re-vaccination

I reflect that in previous eras, the population just lived with disease, like TB, Polio etc. It did not stop society functioning. The people if film and TV are to believed, clutching a handkerchief to their face, in suspect situations. USA had its permanent restrictions via Ellis Islands for those wishing to emigrate to the USA.

In a way, we are returning to earlier eras, the handkerchiefs have become face masks. It would not surprise me that we will not increasingly have health checks when traveling to other jurisdictions.

The question then would be, how and when will large gatherings again become common and probably how they are regulated and managed.

Schools seem to be a the first group challenge, will classes return to the typical Victoria layouts, with individual desks, spaced out to create isles etc? As it not possible to avoid groups, if Cinemas, football/athletic stadiums, horse racing events are to be held in the UK.

It is very obvious that high population densities do increase transmission risks, and much of the UK and particularly England, have quite a task to manage.

At the end of the day we want our events to be held, it remains a question of when.

With care, we can manage to continue with this disease around us.

Just last year, the boffins dared to announce that finally they had contained Ebola.

This nasty piece of work originated from the Ebola River in 1976 ! .

There is currently a more knowledgeable worldwide concerted effort to contain the new threat

Posted by Wilco Wingco on 17/01/2021 14:19:24:

Assuming there are any?. If they take upto a year to organise surly they are being planned now for 2022?.

I doubt there will be any major shows in 2021 for the simple reason it won't be possible to get event insurance at the moment - if you have to call off due to a lockdown the organisers will have to wear all the fixed costs. sad

• 1 month later...

I personally think that - once the rules permit it - its vital for everyone's psychological health as well as the economy in general and hobbies like this in particular, that as many people as possible get on with living as full and normal a life as possible.

Aside from travelling to free flight scale (my main hobby) competitions here and abroad, I've never actually been to a commercial RC event... but I'm jolly well going to start as soon as they're up and running again!

Based on Boris' announcement last night I remain skeptical that there will be any commercial shows this year. They couldn't happen til 17th May at the very earliest, more likely June 21st, and that assumes everything goes perfectly from here. No-one will want to organise such events until they are certain conditions are such that they can be guaranteed to go ahead, so that probably means Aug/Sept is the absolute earliest we'd see anything.

Given the government's previous record on predictions and roadmaps I'll be exceptionally surprised if things follow the roadmap set out, but lets cross our fingers and hope it can be followed - certainly if it can't there will be huge political damage for Boris given the unequivocal language used last night about this being a "one way path back to normality" etc. 

Edited by MattyB

I suspect a number of shows in Sept/October but no sooner. Hopefully including LMA at Elvington as that is quite close.... I'm sure I saw a show advertised on Facebook for around 21/9.

Hopefully, nothing (virus or human misbehaviour) derails the roadmap (sorry about the sort of mixed metaphor..)

GG the optimist

24 minutes ago, MattyB said:

Based on Boris' announcement last night I remain skeptical that there will be any commercial shows this year. They couldn't happen til 17th May at the very earliest, more likely June 21st, and that assumes everything goes perfectly from here. No-one will want to organise such events until they are certain conditions are such that they can be guaranteed to go ahead, so that probably means Aug/Sept is the absolute earliest we'd see anything.

Given the government's previous record on predictions and roadmaps I'll be exceptionally surprised if things follow the roadmap set out, but lets cross our fingers and hope it can be followed - certainly if it can't there will be huge political damage for Boris given the unequivocal language used last night about this being a "one way path back to normality" etc. 

I'd be very surprised to see the first couple of dates change.

I'd not be much surprised if the 17th May or 21st June dates are changed. I doubt the order of events will differ though. The degree of effectiveness of the vaccination programme will be driving a lot behind the May/June dates.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

I suspect a number of shows in Sept/October but no sooner. Hopefully including LMA at Elvington as that is quite close.... I'm sure I saw a show advertised on Facebook for around 21/9.

Hopefully, nothing (virus or human misbehaviour) derails the roadmap (sorry about the sort of mixed metaphor..)

GG the optimist

The LMA are advertising their show at Elvington in it's usual date slot - 7/8 August.

5 wards in Bangor hospital North Wales have covid outbrake.

English government is going to make the same mistakes I fear.

Tory sparks should stay patient rather than become one.

My first jab Friday...

Going to stay really patient ( and frustrated ) until things get much much better, hopefully by this time next year.

Thinking real hard about rtp in doors...

I will not be going anywhere until things get much better, much better than in the summer.

Edited by Rich Griff