Transporting Transmitter up the Hill!

Just wondered- does anyone have any suggestions as to how to protect the bells and whistles (switches and control levers) on my high tech tranny, whilst transporting it, usually in my rucsac, to the top of the slope? The big aluminium box that it came in is fine for flat field use, but I'm not able to carry it, as well as one or two models, when trudging up!

I had to continuously fit replacement switches on my old Futaba FF7 due to this problem. I did think of some sort of rigid foam, but how would I keep it in place?

Or- any suggestions?

I made up some protection from a couple of pieces of stiff upholstery foam, works great to protect my MPX Profi in my rucksack when venturing up the hill.

The foam I got is around 3" thick, so I just carved out a shaped hollow in two halves (and holes for the sticks), put it around the Tx and slide it into my rucksack.

Posted by Anthony Scott 2 on 29/08/2020 15:28:01:

These are very good & very good value.

**LINK**

Those hobbyking transmitter cases are good, I have several. Inside I also use a couple of 3D printed stick protectors:

1, as a single piece

2. As individual protectors.

Although these primarily protect the Tx sticks, the provide overall rigidity so also give some protection for switches. If you are in touch with someone that can print them for you then they may be worth considering.

Edited By Ian Jones on 29/08/2020 16:38:30

Here you are, in stock at Rapid RC Models, Minster-on-Sea, Sheerness, Kent - www.rapidrcmodels.com

https://www.rapidrcmodels.com/rapid-rc-transmitter-bag--carrying-case--grey--191-p.asp

I bought one from them at their stand at the Southern Model Show a couple of years ago.

A bit more expensive than HK, but at least you will get it quickly.

Your Tx will travel securely now.

You can get many different grades of foam, I went to a local company that supplied upholstery materials and they had all different grades of foam. Didn't actually buy it for this but to actually make stands for some large scale gliders to aid in transporation and assembly. The downside is that they only sold it in large sheets, I ended up with 3 sort of 1500mm x 1000mm pieces about 100mm thick!, hardly got any left now as it has been used by a few club mates.

Mine came from here, as they are local to me so I called in and chose what I wanted.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 30/08/2020 07:54:27

Most transmitters come in a box with a foam insert to hold the transmitter -and other bits. I hadn't thought of cutting one of those to just make a clamshell covering which just fits the transmitter, but that's a great idea, thanks..A wing band stretched round the two halves would hold it together and for durability in the rucksack it could easily be covered with parcel tape.