Thingiverse

Gary Murphy 1

I know nothing about 3Dprinting and have seen a part that was 3d printed. The guy said its available on a site called THINGIVERSE.

I can look up places that will 3d print BUT while looking up thingiverse on YT to see what it was it was said the site/system is flawed and to use other sites. The part I need is not on other sites.

As anyone used Thingiverse who knows about 3d printing that can comment?

do not want to track a 3d service down only to find thingiverse is a no go for file downloads.

Files on Thingiverse are free with that in mind there is a possibility that some files won't print properly I haven't experienced a problem myself and I have printed many files these are created by enthusiastic fellow 3d printing aficionados . Which item are you looking at I will have a look and if it's not big will do a test print .

Gary

The problem is that not all 3D printers use exactly the same version of STL or GCODE file so something that works perfectly for the originator may not work properly on another brand of printer or at least not without some fairly clever 'tweeking'.

If the Thingiverse file states the specific 3D printer and preferably the major parameters to use there should be no problem.

I made sure the files I down loaded were intended for exactly my type of printer.

Of course the more expert you are in 3D printing the easier it is to solve any printing issues.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 29/08/2020 23:14:30

Thanks for the info guys. The reasons you mention about my Thingiverse getting some neg comments are understandable. I was also thinking some stuff could be pirate or copy right and would of got some flak going to a company.

I have no idea if this part is a big or complicated part to print, I will put a link to the part and perhaps Martian will be able to comment.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4581506/files

thanks for help

Edited By Gary Murphy 1 on 30/08/2020 10:40:45

That is a simple part to print, I downloaded the file and put it through my slicer program (Cura) and it has no obvious defects. I would print it as solid rather than with an infill given the duty with the long hole through it. I also imported it into Sculpteo, a 3D printing service that could do it in nylon which is stronger than a lot of home 3D printers. Be aware of the warning, that file was created in inches and exported with the same numeric values in mm, so it needs to be scald up by 25.4 times or 2540%.

Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 30/08/2020 15:13:18:

PeterF, if i give this thingiverse link OR the file to a 3d print service will they be aware of the size warning you mention or do i need to state this?

If you use Sculpteo then when you upload the file you input the scale so that the automatic pricing system will work out the right price.

Therefore, if you use an automatic costing process you input the scale and it is handled. If it is a service with manual file handling, then you must specify this.

Edited By PeterF on 30/08/2020 19:21:10

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 29/08/2020 23:13:36:

Gary

The problem is that not all 3D printers use exactly the same version of STL or GCODE file so something that works perfectly for the originator may not work properly on another brand of printer or at least not without some fairly clever 'tweeking'.

If the Thingiverse file states the specific 3D printer and preferably the major parameters to use there should be no problem.

I made sure the files I down loaded were intended for exactly my type of printer.

Of course the more expert you are in 3D printing the easier it is to solve any printing issues.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 29/08/2020 23:14:30

An STL file is an STL file, there's no 'versions'.

It's a header with a list of triangles, nothing more.

Gcode does come in different flavours and can cause problems...

Hi Martian, just had a measure of the frame.

The 4 holes are 3mm dia

The 2 holes in the parts flat area are 50mm centre to centre, central across the part

The outer edges of the 2 lugs/legs 64.65mm, this fits inside the frame.

This is only to give a size comparison. It does not need to be exact in points of millimetre.Thats what the digi calipers said.

Thanks

It looks like a simple part to print, so as previously mentioned it's just a question of scale.

With regard to the title of this thread, the simple answer is yes, Thingiverse is wonderful, there's a huge range of files available for 3D printing. I would add the reservations mentioned by others regarding specific printers, scale and quality of some designers, however most of those matters exist wherever you look. The problem comes with not working and printing the files yourself as this means you do not have the opportunity to adjust or redesign prints. So if you have considered getting a 3D printer then perhaps the time has arrived!

It might worth reminding forumites that we have our own user group on Thingiverse so that we can share prints

Please feel free to add your own designs, it's quite straightforward. All you have to do is register with Thingiverse and you are then able to add your designs (STL files plus supporting photos if you wish) and make them available to the group in the "Tell Us More" part of the design's information.

So here it is: RC flying models

• 5 months later...

I use thingiverse a lot ( and the Cura slicer ) as there is some good stuff on there. I think the general rule of thumb is to build something with already a lot of 'makes' 

If people are printing and taking the time to upload their build chances are they are good files. There are some crappy files on there but some real belters ( Look at the Jet engine print I just posted for eg )  

GrabCad is another decent place to find files.