Dom Smith F7F-3 Tigercat

34 minutes ago, Bob Cotsford said:

On the old site you could see whether you were talking to yourself by the number of views, or lack thereof. Now we only see the number of posts which is a shame.

You can see the number of views......

look under the section concerned, in this case Scale Matters

views.thumb.JPG.640eb46fb98d0fac071b72236f526405.JPG

Cheers

Danny

Thanks guys for taking the trouble to look in and post a comment it was much easier to view the views so to speak before. anyway some pic of the wing all four sections in various stages central sections to be matched up and trimmed before joining outer sections beyond the nacelles are joined with ali and phenolic tube if anyone needs or wants more details just ask away. I have to repeat Don Smith plans are tough going and experimenting is needed as progression takes place. If I build this cat again I would make a good set of wing jigs to make life easier. the fuselage is straight forward but it would be easier if you had a set of retracts that you wanted to use .Seirra build a set to order but that is for the 103 inch wing I was prepared to make my own with engineering help from my daughters partner but lockdown scuppered that so I looked around for an alternative and found Flightline do a 63inch span Tigercat and RC Motion carry the spares problem solved ,they are not true to scale but should look ok. More soon 

DSCF8485.JPG

DSCF8486.JPG

DSCF8487.JPG

DSCF8488.JPG

DSCF8489.JPG

DSCF8490.JPG

DSCF8491.JPG

DSCF8492.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Danny Fenton said:

You can see the number of views......

look under the section concerned, in this case Scale Matters

Cheers

Danny

Not in 'Latest Posts', at least I don't see them!

image.thumb.png.e1232e89bf55d6c677d6ff32cf82e6c1.png

Anyway, back to the plot!  Seeing that wing it's scary to think how much real estate the 103" version would occupy!

1 hour ago, Bob Cotsford said:

Not in 'Latest Posts', at least I don't see them!

image.thumb.png.e1232e89bf55d6c677d6ff32cf82e6c1.png

Anyway, back to the plot!  Seeing that wing it's scary to think how much real estate the 103" version would occupy!

Click Forums and it's in main topics Bob, The Workshop section Traditional Kits and Plans.

Edited by john stones 1 Moderator
Correction error.

Absolutely great stuff there Martian and following 100%. Great project, but not just because its a twin or a Tigercat!

Already learnt from your build how to do it the right where I have got stuck before.

I only post if I can add something useful....little chance with your experience and my lack of! So keep it coming ?

• 3 weeks later...

It's  been awhile but I have been making progress. The fuselage was fairly straight forward but the wing good grief , the plans are excellent with outline and shape but reducing the plans down for a 1/10 scale is more than problematic there is an abundance of ribs not necessarily a problem but it could cope with less and the nacelles are over built for this size . I tracked down a flightline Tigercat which is the same scale so I sourced oleos and wheels from there ( MotionRC) I really wanted scale gear but am unable to get near a miller and lathe I already had a pair of electric metal retracts So I turned the legs down to fit the retracts . It has been difficult to place the retracts in the right place in the nacelle but I have finally managed the first one the other should be straight forward. The nacelle position in the wheel requires two ribs to be butchered once the second nacelle is done I will align and glue both into wing and glue both wing halves together. My thoughts are at the moment to continue with the wing even though I,m not happy it all feels like bodging. I may use the experience to build a new wing building lighter and less brick house like nacelles ,it seems the best way is to build the nacelles then the wing halves and place the two ribs in a better place not easy to explain . Oh I also decided to get the plastic replacement parts for the flightline Tigercat happily the gear doors will fit plus other bits which will save a bit of faffing. pics below

DSCF8493.thumb.JPG.805bb03238f654e3e1ea9a1cd8cdf2f6.JPG

DSCF8494.JPG

DSCF8495.JPG

DSCF8496.JPG

• Like 2

Looking good there Martian, with my Ta 154 I increased by about 10% so it didn't really make thing s any more complicated until I went for detachable wing tips. One thing with mine was the build the wings fully and bolt the nacelles onto the wing spars which I think made the build/assembly a lot easier. Not sure it worth it in your case, but thought it was worth a mention.

Anyway great stuff there, looks really super and following closely. 

Hi Martian,

Thanks for the PM, plus if you wand to take a look at the thread it can be found under Focke Wolf Ta 154 Laser or follow this

Focke Wolf Ta 154 Laser - Building from Traditional Kits and Plans - RCM&E Home of Model Flying Forums

either way its not very long to read. Essentially scaled up to fit he laser 70's and match the SG mossie.

Hello again my workbench is a heck of a mess and it will stay that way until this current phase is complete , so about to fit second retract /a pic showing the wingtip presented to the mid wing . the first wing half I built in two sections that was the way to make hard work of it so the second half was built as a whole with the wing joint tube in place and plastic gift cards separating the the inner connecting ribs to keep the glue away then panelled the front edge of the wing when all nice and dry I used a fine tooth hacksaw blade to separate the two sections that was much easier ? . I have decided to use blue foam for the rear of the nacelles to save weight and save planking so in those blue chunks I have to find the rear nacelle I will get the crude shape then start carving and finally sand away to my hearts content (what ever floats your boat )

DSCF8498.JPG

DSCF8499.JPG

DSCF8500.JPG

DSCF8501.JPG

DSCF8502.JPG

DSCF8503.JPG

DSCF8504.JPG

Edited by Martian
  • Like 1