Skydiver build blog

I have been asked to share the details of this little jumper, so I shall give it a go......

There is not much detailed info on the net, not that I could find in any case.

The plans for this jumper are on Outerzone but I found the original build article to be somewhat unclear in places and some changes and figuring out were necessary. Nothing new there...

I really enjoyed making this model since it was something completely different and Jumper Mk2 is planned, with the cardboard templates already made.

20200203_122759.jpg

The next series of pictures relate to the container construction. ( the container holds the parachute), as per plan.

Ultimately, I abandoned this entire method and made something much simpler. I couldn't get the designed container to open reliably.

So I'll post the original idea just for continuity.

Edited By Torsten Spitzner on 07/09/2020 12:52:50

Edited By Torsten Spitzner on 07/09/2020 13:01:14

Glenn

Open the file in Adobe Reader. Choose print and on the dialog select the "poster" option.

This will pint oversize drawings onto several A4 pages. Pick the "cut marks" and you'll get small markers to do the trimming (I use a guillotine) then pritt stick or tape the pages together matching the marks.acrobat_poster.jpg

Glenn,

Just to give another useful print option - especially when you want rib profile/Formers without tracing.

You can use the snapshot option, and print at custom scale. This means you can print small sections of a plan onto a single sheet (stick to wood with thinned PVA) etc.

adobe_snapshot.jpg

Draw around the bit you're interested in... rectangle shown below.

adobe_snapshot_rectangle.jpg

Then select print...

adobe_snapshot_print.jpg

The following series of pictures will hopefully explain the procedure. This whole design is over complex imo.

When the pin is pulled, the elastIc bands are supposed to pull the two container sides open. I found this to not work reliably.

Important to note also, is that the container size was hopelessly too small as per plan. The first test parachute would fit but subsequent ones, made from thicker material, would not.

20191220_011147.jpg20191220_020720.jpg20191220_012539.jpg

20191220_031732.jpg

In the meantime, I was also making a test parachute. This was simply made from refuse bags which were taped together. Regular string was used for the lines, a weight attached and taken for a test from from a suitable plane.

This demonstrated that the concept was good and work on the model continued.

The first problem was that the pattern for the gores (parachute panels) did not work out correctly.20191220_104858.jpg

Google to the rescue and I found a method to divide a circle into 14 equal parts, adding some for the overlaps. A card template was made and the gores cut to size

20191230_184921.jpg

I used the grouting lines on my tiled floor as straight edges

20191220_115625.jpg

The gores are laid out and taped together. There needs to be an overlap at each join, which creates a pocket, or sleeve, through which the lines are threaded.

20191220_121202.jpg

The lines are pulled through the gores. One line goes right through from one side, through the top and is the same line on the opposite side. The lines are knotted at the top, where the pilot chute will be attached later.

20191231_115927.jpg

The first test parachute is ready for testing.

20200101_105057.jpg