The Annual Dark Nights Fix-up.

MattyB

It may be lovely weather this week, but we all know within a few weeks the grey skies, cold drizzle and long nights will have begun. Add in the situation with C-19 and we are all probably facing one of the least appealing 6 months of our lives before the sun shows itself in earnest again! It’s at this time we all tend to think about a new winter project (I have already fallen for that one…!), but watching BBC’s The Repair Shop has given me another idea that might cheer us up…

So many of us have models with minor (or sometimes major!) damage knocking around our workshops in u/s condition. You know the ones – the undercarriage came off on the last landing, the engine won’t run reliably, the ESC failed or a section of the wing argued with the car door on the way home! The jobs to be done are probably an evening or twos work, but are unexciting and might be quite tricky compared to getting on with a new build. As a result they get pushed into a corner, sometimes for months, often much longer. An example - I have an e-glider I was recommissioning for 2.4GHz and lipo power 5 years ago; it’s still sitting exactly as it was after the first evenings work! blush

So what am I proposing? Well, why don’t we create a bit of collective peer pressure and save the planet at the same time by getting these models fixed up? We could all have 4 or 5 “new” airframes each to fly by Spring 2021!

Here’s my proposed rules for the Dark Nights Fix-up 2020…

• The challenge runs from 1st October 2020 to 1st April 2021
  • All models must have flown previously (either for you or a previous owner) – no NIB kits or plan builds! Other than that anything goes; sport, scale, foamie, scratch built, kit, ARTF, glider, electric, IC, multirotor, free flight, control line, flying pig… teeth 2
  • Those participating declare the model(s) they are going to fix in this thread, complete with a photo in its current state.
  • At the end of October once most declarations are in I will count up and set the target of how many airframes we are shooting for.
  • Participants post highlights of their fixes in this thread, or if it’s a bigger project in a separate linked thread just for their model.
  • Once finished participants post a pic or video of the completed model RTF so we can tot up the final results on April 1st.
  • We all fly our “new” steeds at a socially distanced virtual fly in the w/e of 3rd/4th April 2021, taking and posting as many photos and videos as possible.

That’s it! I’m sure there will also be a mass build too, but I thought this might be a fun side-line for those of us who can’t or don't want to commit to that. Hopefully it will give us all motivation to get some old favourites back in the air. Who’s up for it?

On top of that: Here is the tracker in Google Drive - I have added all models declared so far. Anyone should be able to view and edit their entries; let me know if you can't.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 02/10/2020 09:42:34

I guess it's a great idea as well, Matty.

In my personal case, being a apprentice, I don't have any previously flown models, unfortunately... blush

On the other hand, I was given an - old/crashed Graupner - e-glider from the nineties. It seems to be a challenge with just the missing parts.

Does that count?

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

Posted by Gary Clark 1 on 15/09/2020 18:23:12:

I think this is a great idea Matty. I've done this quite a few times and it's really satisfying. Even models that are still flying but need a bit of TLC and a recover are well worth the effort and it feels like a new model.

Gary

Yep, a re-cover and spruce up is absolutely fine - just share what you’ve done and how do we can all hopefully learn some new techniques. yes

Posted by McG 6969 on 15/09/2020 18:39:32:

I guess it's a great idea as well, Matty.

In my personal case, being a apprentice, I don't have any previously flown models, unfortunately... blush

On the other hand, I was given an - old/crashed Graupner - e-glider from the nineties. It seems to be a challenge with just the missing parts.

Does that count?

Definitely- if it can’t be flown in it’s current state or is in need of a spruce up it’s the perfect candidate!

.......but this is what I've been doing most days since March !

No flying = no crashes (in my case) and I've run out of kits to build and "second hand fixer uppers" that I bought as projects

Yesterday I put some lines a piece of paper and using stock balsa if it all works I shall soon have a new plane

ready for whenever - does this count me in ?

img_6574.jpg

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 15/09/2020 20:35:21

Brilliant idea Matty.

Since returning to the hobby after 20-odd years last Christmas, I've already fixed up 2 attic queens, but there are more to do!

• A 72" Cougar kit from the 80s. Bought from one of our dearly departed club mates in the mid-90s, and never got as far as finishing and flying it.
  • A much loved Alley Cat that has done more air miles than Judith Chalmers...
  • A 36" Pitts that used to fly like a brick. That's ripe for a refurb.

I'm in!

Graham

Posted by Dave Cunnington on 15/09/2020 20:34:44:

.......but this is what I've been doing most days since March !

No flying = no crashes (in my case) and I've run out of kits to build and "second hand fixer uppers" that I bought as projects

Yesterday I put some lines a piece of paper and using stock balsa if it all works I shall soon have a new plane

ready for whenever - does this count me in ?

img_6574.jpg

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 15/09/2020 20:35:21

If you really have run out of things to fix and as it’s a scratch build then I guess we can let you play...

Ok, so it seems like there are enough people interested for this to work so feel free to start declaring your fix-uptargets. Just give the name of the model and ideally a photo of it in it’s current state (tutorials on various ways of adding photos to your posts are available in the Forum User Guide), and I will keep a running total in the thread.

I’ll post mine up later today after I’ve had chance to photograph them...

Edited By MattyB on 16/09/2020 09:03:45

Posted by Malcolm Fisher on 16/09/2020 19:27:52:

I have some models which need a tad of TLC. Not too sure about getting the necessary pictures and also not very sure of when I will be able to make a start - am currently involved in some much needed house maintenance which has to take precedence.crying

Malcolm

Pictures are optional and you have 6 months from Oct 1st, so don’t worry about it! Just tell us about the model(s) and the work you are doing on it/them.

Ps - Let’s all not worry about the rules too much! This is not a competition and my suggestions above aren’t hard and fast rules - I just wanted to put a bit of tension into the equation so I actually get on with some repairs! It’s really about the fun of getting an old stranger airborne again and maybe learning some new skills along the way. thumbs up

There are often a lot of guys who are willing to do repair work for people free of charge other than materials.

I often help rebuild models for guys who have accidents at the field but are not builders. Significantly cheaper for a few sheets of balsa a some covering rather than an artf wing!

I'm in Norfolk if anyone needs help

Gary

Great idea, Matty, I'm in.

This is my Seamaster which bit the dust, er, water, a couple of years ago through over-enthusiasm on the elevator during a high speed, downwind turn and has been languishing in a corner of my garage ever since while I decide whether to scrap it, repair it or just build a new fuselage.

broken seamaster.jpg

Looking at it again, I think a new fuselage will be the best option. More work but I don't think a repair is feasible.

And, just to whet the appetite, here's what I'm aiming to get back to:

dsc_0589 (2).jpg

dsc_0608 (2).jpg

• Like 1

...and this is mine!

uproar 17th sept 2020 (3).jpg

Chris Olsen Uproar. I've not had much success with this model. The first time I crashed it occurred  because I didn't understand computer transmitters. (Futaba FF6 remember them!) and had insufficient down elevator movement to allow me to get the nose down when the engine had cut. I repaired the model, started the engine, took off turned across the wind then with the wind and suddenly I had no control.

Hoping for third time lucky.

Note the immaculate workshop and the paint splashes. wink

Edited By David Davis on 17/09/2020 09:51:08

My problem is that I don't have any models needing repairs.

I do have a lot of prototypes that have been flown a few times and now clutter up the workshop with useful gear in them.

Could doing a major salvage operation to remove everything of possible use for future designs be considered for inclusion?

The final operation being a bonfire...possibly on the 5th of November.

Posted by Peter Miller on 17/09/2020 10:02:31:

My problem is that I don't have any models needing repairs.

I do have a lot of prototypes that have been flown a few times and now clutter up the workshop with useful gear in them.

Could doing a major salvage operation to remove everything of possible use for future designs be considered for inclusion?

The final operation being a bonfire...possibly on the 5th of November.

Seems an awful waste to just bin those usable airframes... Just a thought, could you make an interesting "bitsa" out of a few of them?

OK, so maybe I had better do mine then (no pics for now, just haven't had chance, sorry). They are all gliders...

• Nan Models Hilight E-glider - Had some cheapo servos in it that failed (luckily on the ground. Stripped them all out ~5 years ago and bought an old school brushed motor capable of running on 3S with the litle 4:1 gearbox already installed, then didn't do anything else. Tail needs re-gluing and reinforcing due to hanger rash.
  • Mibo Vison Plus E-glider - Bought recently secondhand. Already fixed up a few areas on the install (cleaning up where the wings join to allow a proper fit, ESC install adjusted and connector resoldered). Now needs install of RXs plus a full setup on Mike Shellims 4-servo wing OpenTX template
  • Taboo GT DLG - Was built for me by the infamously unreliable Tony Fu of Sloperacer (don't ask angry 2), but could never get reliable RF performance on Schulze 35MHz RX and custom aerial installed by Tony. Needs converting to 2.4 and almost certainly a new RX battery, but the tiny fuselage and limited access will make that a much trickier job than it sounds.

I also have a couple of old EPP foamies (Alula and Weasel) that could do with a strip and recover, but I'll only do those if I complete all the others, plus I have my new Antaris to be getting on with in parallel. It may be a busy winter!

Edited By MattyB on 17/09/2020 12:47:54