The Annual Dark Nights Fix-up.

MattyB

So, the total is 12 so far... smile d

• MattyB - 3 (various gliders)
  • McG 6969 - 1 (Graupner e-glider)
  • Dave Cunnington - 1 (scratchbuild cos he's run out of repairs to do!)
  • Graham Davies 3 - 3 (Cougar, Alley Cat, Pitts)
  • Doc Marten - 1 (a mysterious "engine that needs repair"!)
  • Nick Cripps - 1 (Seamaster)
  • GrumpyGnome - 1 (SE5A)
  • David Davis - 1 (Chris Olsen Uproar)

Edited By MattyB on 17/09/2020 12:40:01

Posted by GrumpyGnome on 17/09/2020 12:43:44:

The SE5 is a 'recreation' of how it was in the recently planted rape field. The bits at the front were spread around the main carcass. After taking the photo, I went to find the pilot - who was about 50 feet away from the crash site...

He must have been trying to escape the scene of his crime...

Matty, please, add me in to the thread.

Initially I will tackle 2 gliders:

Robbe Impulse: This is a 2 channel trainer glider which was used as a show model by Robbe Spanish distributor during early 90´s. Model is incomplete and in a quite tatty estate. My idea is to restore, add the missing control parts, installing radio and converting to motor glider. If successfully restored I will donate it to the training area of my flying club.

Multiplex DG600: This is a 3.500mm span semi scale glider I bought second hand from a very good friend in 1997. Just at the second day glider tugging it took and small bush, overturned and broke as I was not quick enough to release the tug line! It requires repairing the fuselage, making a complete -and detailed- new cockpit and canopy and thoroughly check control surfaces, servos and wiring.

I will add photos of models current status during the weekend.

Thanks.

Matty,

Count me in, I have an OD canard that I got a bit too low in an inverted pass which destroyed the foreplane and fuselage up to the main wing. Its one of those models shoved in the corner that I keep meaning to repair but never get round to doing. Also have a Flying balsa PT 25 autogyro that spiralled in after a receiver pack failure nearly 10 years ago.

Perfect excuse to get these sorted me thinks!

Rich

What a brilliant idea = I've got several battle damaged airframes that need repair and have needed repair for several years. I've been chiipping away at the list on and off, but this could be a good impetus to get some log stalled repairs finished off. Happy to put a few into the project once i pick the most likely candidates and get some photos.

After spending most of the year catching up on repairs, mods and half finished models while in self-imprisonment I'm running short of restorations and similar projects for this winter. I do have a couple though, one being a Blackhorse P-40 that needs a new undercarriage, de-glowing (filling in the unnecessary holes) and a general makeover. The second that comes to mind is a Jungmeister (snap Mike) that I foolishly covered in Glosstex that needs de-glowing, then the Glosstex stripped off and righteously burnt before a bit of minor bracing of unsupported longerons, correcting wrongly drawn sweepback and finally recovering in something considerably lighter than the Glosstex.

Both of these will be kitted out for electric power.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 18/09/2020 17:48:55

Okay Matty - I'm in

Three projects to get moving

1. Mini Astrohog e-conversion - I took the OS .10FP out of this oil-soaked little beggar many years ago, stripped off all the oily covering and set about an e-conversion. The wing is done, the noseblock is carved ready for a vac-formed cowl, the fuselage is in progress. Here she is as of today.

Mini Astro Hog Conversiont

2. HVP Modellbau Henschel HS-129, which I had a bad crash with many years ago. The motor cowls and motor boxes were shredded, the formers were popped inside the fibreglass fuselage, every one of the tail surfaces was broken, both ailerons off and the undercarriage mounts now very floppy inside the nacelles. She needs repairs and replacing the fixed U/C with retracts, remotoring and control runs all fixing.

HVP Hs-129 Repairs

3. Kyosho Spitfire swapmeet bargain picked up in the period between the Kyosho Spitfire 40 being available and the Kyosho Spitfire 50 coming out. She's been largely recovered but tail feathers all broken off, e-conversion started then stopped- with the battery hatch long since lost, firewall is a mass of mounting holes and needs replacement. Retracts had been ripped out, but I've repaired those - still a couple of holes in the wing skins though. I do have a new cowl to fit, since the old one is destroyed. She'll need a repaint when she is all fettled.Kyosho Spitfire Repairs

Think that's enough to be going on with - these have all flown, but have been in the U/S Category B pile for many years.

leccyflyer: Is that mini Astrohog an Astro Oink? Robin Woodhead (then a member at RR(Hucknall) MAC) published such a design (a small Hog) a good few years ago - 20+ at a guess.

I have a Hangar 9 P47 I crashed a few years back and has been on my 'to do' list since. I bought a new cowl and fibreglass underbelly from the US almost immediately but that's as far as it got. I had a 90 ASP 4 stroke in it which cut just after a low pass going quite fast into no man's land so I had to attempt areturn to the airfield with the inevitable tip stall and plunge to the ground. The wings themselves are not too bad but the fuselage doesn't exist forward of the wings. It was one of the spurs that encouraged me to go electric so this will be a conversion from glow.

It may remain on the 'to do' list because I have a Li'l Cub to build first

Geoff

No Geoff it;s a Mini Astro Hog, that's a bit bigger at 41" span than the Astro Oink at 25" span - they both look quite similar to the full scale Astro Hog. This one flew lovely on the little OS.10FP and I was flying the Mini Astro Hog and the Birdie 10 in the early noughties when I still had some glow models. I electrified the Birdie, which worked ver well, before losing here in the Mersey - and the Min Astro Hog was earmarked for e-conversion too.

Posted by Glenn Philbrick on 18/09/2020 17:00:05:

Does this count? Hoping to convert this pile to a scratch build Puppetteer.

flair pup.jpg

Only if it includes something from a model that has previously flown - go and dig out your oldest clevis From the spare parts bin and you’re good... wink 2

My entries:

1. Like GrumpyGnome an SE5a. Mine is from the Tony N plan. Too slow, too tight in the turn and too low...

img_20200919_155940017~2.jpg

Most things came apart more than breaking, so I hope it will not be too much of a job.

2. E-fair. Second hand to me. I had a go at slope soaring...

img_20200919_160130831~2.jpg

It looks quite fiddly to get the TE back, but I shall try. The nose is also bashed, and probably needs a new motor.

3. Much less work this one. Mayfly has a wonky motor shaft.

4. Anything else I crash soon. Or maybe the Bushmaster foamie that was my first crash. I feel I ought to get it back in the air, but it was never a great flyer.

Posted by Dad_flyer on 19/09/2020 16:19:36:

2. E-fair. Second hand to me. I had a go at slope soaring...

img_20200919_160130831~2.jpg

It looks quite fiddly to get the TE back, but I shall try. The nose is also bashed, and probably needs a new motor.

Looks like you found out about the acronym for S.L.O.P.E (Smashed, lost or pulverised eventually) the hard way! laugh

I make that 29 and counting, provided John Stones promises to crash his shock flyer as soon as it's built in order to qualify... wink 2

Matty - are we supposed to wait until 1st October to kick off on these repairs? I'm afraid I couldn't find the hatch that I'd started on for the Mini AstroHog, so I'd cut and laminated some semi-formers yesterday before realising what I was doing, so your call to arms is certainly having the desired motivating effect.

I'm in. 46" Tony Nijhuis Spit, built when the mag article came out. Gave several years great service, but somehow i got something wrong with the firewall, so the motor mount was moved, and washers packing it out. Ran on a OS 25LA, which was a little lacking. Bought a Leo .28 for it, and then one day i started refurbing the fuse to sort this out, and lo and behold 10 years later it hasn't progressed beyond that first day, so thanks for the motivation!

50362252397_da7da3c194_o.jpg

Posted by leccyflyer on 20/09/2020 08:15:38:

Matty - are we supposed to wait until 1st October to kick off on these repairs? I'm afraid I couldn't find the hatch that I'd started on for the Mini AstroHog, so I'd cut and laminated some semi-formers yesterday before realising what I was doing, so your call to arms is certainly having the desired motivating effect.

Nah, don’t worry about it - I already started doing some on Friday night myself! The only key date is April 1st 2021 when we tot up the total fixes and do the virtual fly in; That’s the date to remember and work towards so we all feel that bit of pressure to finish!